Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An assessment of Oblivion after having first played Skyrim, then Morrowind

Plisken

Learned
This is hilariously sad. Apparently, you have to larp just to find any personality in that game. And be cripplingly autistic. As if the "I collect shiny physics objects" guy wasn't bad enough. :lol:

mods that add more interactivity and responsiveness to the world are great I think, but yes, this "imagine it" larp shit is no bueno

might as well imagine playing a different game entirely

Frozen

Arcane
But its every TES game main feature.
Most fans of this crap of a franchise cant stand world, lore or its stories so they have to larp with headcanon and avoid the game beside its terrible never changing engine.
Its like make believe as kids playing outside, only with shittier graphics this time.

illuknisaa

Cipher
I thought it was pretty funny that if you get 100% chameleon your character literally becomes invisible (not just weird ghost form like you get with <100%) and AI is unable to interact with you properly.

Dakka

Savant
I thought it was pretty funny that if you get 100% chameleon your character literally becomes invisible (not just weird ghost form like you get with <100%) and AI is unable to interact with you properly.
Then instead of fixing that, they got rid of the effect entirely in Skyrim.

Callisto

Thanks everyone . Found this thread informative and i'll pass Morrowind , Oblivion and Skyrim . ( already own Daggerfall )

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really gotta play Oblivion again. Despite everything it's the best TES game. Never used any overhauls though. I always had a lot of autistic item collection habits in the game, video related.

:australia:total pleb tier, here's a real mans home

the_shadow

Arcane
I was fiddling around with the spellmaking in Oblivion and noticed that Weakness to Magic didn't seem to be working when it was combined with other offensive spell effects (such as fire damage), despite the fact that in theory you should be getting at least double damage (quadruple if you combine it with a weakness to element spell). After some forum hopping I found out that weakness to magic/element doesn't apply to offensive effects in the same spell cast.

However, if you create a spell where the weakness to element is after the damage dealing component, and then weakness to magic after that, they will affect the damage-dealing component in the next spell cast. In otherwords, repeated casting of the spell will continually escalate the fire and magic weakness on the target, since weakness to magic increases the magnitude of further weakness to magic/element spells, which is turn increases the damage dealt in from each successive cast. Yikes. Kind of game-breaking and fun, but pretty counter-intuitive.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Morrowind is an exploration game that has exploration mechanics to back it up. Shocking.

And yet that doesn't explain the slow speed. Or do you think that adds to the "immershun" of exploration?

Now, I haven't played Morronwind, but it sounds like the speed is slower than NV and that was already unbearable and would have killed any will to explore anything if it wasn't for a console command to bring it a speed suitable for humans, but probably not for the monkeys that Bethesda targets with their games.
speed in morrowind was tied to encumbrance therefore to strength and speed + athletics and acrobatics. there were plenty of ways to increase it and any moron that played the game and didn't read enough tooltips to know that is retarded. the fact that you started an RPG with slow movement speed which was tied to attributes and skill was on par with everything else. there was meaningful character development on every possible level.
pretty much everything the game is criticized for in this thread are valid rpg mechanics, superior to what was delivered by both oblivion and skyrim. the ones that don't see that are fucking imbeciles.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
decided im going to see if i can make skyrim not suck, i know i know but I'm willing to try.

Any suggestions on that front would be appreciated.

So far I'm thinking Requiem mod as a base and then starting to collect various "hardcore" and immersion mods.
mods didn't fix it yet.
most of them try to fix a certain aspect of the game in hope of other mods fixing the rest.
some try to fix most of it but fail miserably.
the rest don't fix anything but bloat the game with useless crap or play around with the graphics.
for some reason there's not even one mod out there that i know of that fixes the UI. skyui improves the inventory list a bit but doesn't let go of the fucking list approach.
morrowloot sprinkles a few uniques around but doesn't really overhaul the whole itemization.
classic elder scrolls attributes puts attributes in the game but doesn't establish skill dependencies to them. it also doesn't remove the crappy level up mechanics that are in place.
requiem is just stupid as far as i know. it makes it hard to install any other mods, has no ingame options iirc and makes the game harder but not better. (yeah health regeneration and weak enemies are decline, but me getting all twitchy all over the dance floor doesn't make it more of an rpg, it makes it even more of an action game.)
xtended loot randomizes equipment + enchantments on your enemies. it's the best approach so far to general itemization. you never know whether your next target will wield a stick of mediocrity or an enchanted daedric katana of total player character annihilation. you're still playing skyrim though. with everything else that is by now too familiar/boring/crappy. the mod also doesn't change the stupid reduction of armor slots. you still have whole body armor instead of chestplate and "armored pants", no left and right glove, no left and right pauldron. it's fun to use with skimpy armor replacements and better bodies for some sexy bandits you can rape with loverslab mods, but that's as far as the fun goes with skyrim.

Falksi

Arcane
Morrowind is an exploration game that has exploration mechanics to back it up. Shocking.

And yet that doesn't explain the slow speed. Or do you think that adds to the "immershun" of exploration?

Now, I haven't played Morronwind, but it sounds like the speed is slower than NV and that was already unbearable and would have killed any will to explore anything if it wasn't for a console command to bring it a speed suitable for humans, but probably not for the monkeys that Bethesda targets with their games.
speed in morrowind was tied to encumbrance therefore to strength and speed + athletics and acrobatics. there were plenty of ways to increase it and any moron that played the game and didn't read enough tooltips to know that is retarded. the fact that you started an RPG with slow movement speed which was tied to attributes and skill was on par with everything else. there was meaningful character development on every possible level.
pretty much everything the game is criticized for in this thread are valid rpg mechanics, superior to what was delivered by both oblivion and skyrim. the ones that don't see that are fucking imbeciles.

And with Morrowind it's fine being slow, as everything is lush and full of rich wonder. There's mystery & magic tied into almost all of it, and taking your time allows you to absorb it.

Skyrim & Oblivion rightly need faster player speed from the off, as there's absolutely fuck of worth seeing, and the quicker you dash through both piles of trash the better.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
all i took away from this thread is that according to Roguey , Sawyer's definition of an RPG is indistinguishable from the definition of an Adventure Game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
all i took away from this thread is that according to Roguey , Sawyer's definition of an RPG is indistinguishable from the definition of an Adventure Game.

From the book of Sawyer:

Adventure games typically don't allow you allow you to define and express your character's personality in a way that meaningfully changes the development of the story. An interactive story, to me, means more than just going through it via player input.

Answer the following questions:

* Does the game allow you to develop and use tactics?
* Does the game allow you to develop and deploy a strategy?
* Does the game allow you to resolve conflicts in multiple ways?

If you answered "no" to all of the above, you're playing a "pure" adventure/puzzle game. If you answered "yes" to one or more of the above, it may be another sort of game, one that is still currently made.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
well, that definition includes Wizardry then! that's all I wanted to settle. Be sure to let Sawyer know he contradicted himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom