Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ancestors Legacy - a not so edgy viking RTS from the creators of "Hatred"

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cavalry seems overpowered like hell.
So this is historically accurate?

The stance options taking the whole screen seems dumb in a RTS.

Norfleet

Cavalry seems overpowered like hell.
I think you're only getting that impression because the player tends to smash them into light or flanked units and then break off before getting bogged down, as he should.

Modron

Arcane
To be fair Vikings probably did have some black/arab/mediterranean thralls but I don't think the SJW would be happy with darker people being depicted as slaves.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The game is kind of out... maybe. It disappeared from gog,while steam says that today is the release date. Has anyone played it?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's live on Steam.

GoG page still exists, but says

Please Note: due to technical reasons the release of the DRM-Free version of Ancestors Legacy has been delayed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just download it. The campaign menu looks cool and promising. It have four races,Vikings,Saxons,Germans and Slavs (Pure win for me :) ) and total of six campaigns(stories ) with 5 missions per campaign. The Slavs and Germans have one upcoming campaign each. Will write after a map or two.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I finished the first campaign,the first four missions are pretty easy,the last one was challenging. Decided to try out the Slav missions,one hour later i got my ass handed. If anyone decides to try it out,just burn the closest city for the food and don't bother to do the quests,he attacks you in end anyway. I can't say if the game i really good,the challenge comes mainly from the AI throwing endless amount if enemy at you. Night time is pretty shit because i noticed that enemy have better line of sight.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The more i play the game the more i dislike it,the difficulty is a major annoyance,the enemy just have an endless resources and spams endless amount of units. You can ham at max 10 unit squads,at best 5-6 because of how much resources you can get. On the first Slav mission i had to kill like 30-50 squads that endlessly come at me. The second mission was interesting but it bugged out and i won. The third one was ok until the enemy decided to spam me with 10 squads at a time. Another major annoyance is how useless the village defences are. You get to build three watch towers per village later on in the game. The enemy come and burn it in a minute. The whole game is bouncing between villages trying to accumulate army and resources and wipe the enemy. I just rage quit after i starved the enemy and saw him sends 10 horse units while i can almost pump out a singe one even having all the villages.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
At Steam, it's currently at 91%.

Easter egg contest with Kingdom Come: Deliverance!
23. MAI - MC
To all those interested in our cooperation with our friends from Warhorse Studios!
The surprise we have for you today is an easter egg in Ancestors Legacy's German campaign, that relates to Kingdom Come: Deliverance!
If you find it, please tell us here in the comments. You can grab a screenshot, record a video or just write which character from KC:D the easter egg relates to.
We will randomly choose five of you that gave the right answer and reward you with a digital copy of Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Last but not least, this is just the beginning of a cooperation with our friends from Warhorse – we wanna do more!

Does Warhorse know about this? ;)

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The more i play the game the more i dislike it,the difficulty is a major annoyance,the enemy just have an endless resources and spams endless amount of units. You can ham at max 10 unit squads,at best 5-6 because of how much resources you can get. On the first Slav mission i had to kill like 30-50 squads that endlessly come at me. The second mission was interesting but it bugged out and i won. The third one was ok until the enemy decided to spam me with 10 squads at a time. Another major annoyance is how useless the village defences are. You get to build three watch towers per village later on in the game. The enemy come and burn it in a minute. The whole game is bouncing between villages trying to accumulate army and resources and wipe the enemy. I just rage quit after i starved the enemy and saw him sends 10 horse units while i can almost pump out a singe one even having all the villages.

Reminds me of the time I decided to prove once and for all that the WC3 insane AI cheats. I destroyed everything it had, killed every single worker and left it with only a Nexus and a Boneyard, yet the AI kept pumping Frost Wyrms for the next two hours or so, despite having zero economy.

Yep, it's cheating alright. Case closed!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Reminds me of the time I decided to prove once and for all that the WC3 insane AI cheats. I destroyed everything it had, killed every single worker and left it with only a Nexus and a Boneyard, yet the AI kept pumping Frost Wyrms for the next two hours or so, despite having zero economy.

Yep, it's cheating alright. Case closed!
I don't have problem with the AI cheating a little bit,like having a economy boost at the start of the game and a bonus percentage income. But this is simply annoying,especially how important the resources are in the game. For example if you run out of food your units get severe debuffs while the AI dosn't. It is real shame,the game is promising but clearly made with multi balancing than campaign one.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
On the off-chance that someone cares, the Free Peasant Edition predictably resurrected the MP scene - if you wanted to try this out I suggest you do so now before the interest wanes once more. There are lots of clueless noobs to bash and if you are a clueless noob too, you can play some matches without the danger of getting rofl stomped by some basement dweller with 300 hours in the game.

Gotta admit that this whole thing has some strange aspects:

- MP runs on separate servers than that paid version does, so even if you bought the game, you need to download the free version too (the MP in paid version remains dead, or rather deep in the "ask for games on discord" territory)

- from business point of view, you get complete MP for free, I wonder if the devs actually get any significant income from this, since I don’t see many people dropping 30 € just for the SP content (which is OK from what I saw, but certainly not 30 euro bucks kind of OK)

Anyway, I played the free MP beta a lot back in the day, so I am happy to get some more MP matches in now. The game is an OK CoH/DoW 1 clone set in (early) dark ages. The factions (Slavs, Vikings, Anglo-Saxons and Germans) are not very well balanced for 1 vs 1 games (hence no one does them), but 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3 matches are pretty fun (especially if both team compositions balance out each other’s drawbacks). Each faction is fairly unique, but despite that each is also viable and competitive in MP (though IMO Slavs are a bit more tricky to master than others while Germans are the most noob friendly), which is quite an achievement in itself (given that in DoW1 it was just SM, Chaos and Eldar and trying to play lets say IG or Orks in a “competitive” match would most likely get you kicked).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom