Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Ancient Domains of Mystery (ADOM) - now available on Steam and GOG

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Such a waste. Ascii graphics are hundred times more practical, as in most roguelike-games.
I wouldn't mind tiles so much if not for the fact that they generally cut screen size down to like 1/2 your vision radius, which is just suicidal.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Such a waste. Ascii graphics are hundred times more practical, as in most roguelike-games.
So far I liked Infra Arcana graphics the most. The ADOM ones completely don't fit the mood of the game.

Why would I pay for a game I got tired of 15 years ago? I mean, unless I just wanted to donate to him.

Dude needs to focus on new stuff.
You got tired of it 15 years ago. I got tired of it 10 years ago. Someone didn't get tired of it yet and someone else didn't have an opportunity to start playing it yet.

MisterStone

Arcane
So far I liked Infra Arcana graphics the most. The ADOM ones completely don't fit the mood of the game.

Why would I pay for a game I got tired of 15 years ago? I mean, unless I just wanted to donate to him.

Dude needs to focus on new stuff.
You got tired of it 15 years ago. I got tired of it 10 years ago. Someone didn't get tired of it yet and someone else didn't have an opportunity to start playing it yet.

Reasonable. But selling a dated game to an entirely new audience seems like a hard sell. I guess if it helps him get some money by ppolishing an older project without sinking too much time into it, it's a good thing for all.

But his next gen game has been vapourware and later a perrenial alpha stage product for a looooong time. I was sort of hoping it would pick up momentum.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Reasonable. But selling a dated game to an entirely new audience seems like a hard sell. I guess if it helps him get some money by ppolishing an older project without sinking too much time into it, it's a good thing for all.
What is dated about ADOM?

MisterStone

Arcane

As much as I like Adom, I feel that its design is kind of haphazard, like it just accreted a bunch of stuff over time and then hacked for balance and bugfixing. It probably has waay too many commands and screens. In contrast Crawl seems to get more compelling gameplay out of simpler mechanics, and has better UI enhancements such as the abovementioned auto explore, etc.

So, I'd rather Biskup use his experience from Adom to make Adom II, which I hope this is going to help fund.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012

As much as I like Adom, I feel that its design is kind of haphazard, like it just accreted a bunch of stuff over time and then hacked for balance and bugfixing. It probably has waay too many commands and screens. In contrast Crawl seems to get more compelling gameplay out of simpler mechanics, and has better UI enhancements such as the abovementioned auto explore, etc.
Does it have a surface map? Does it have atmosphere comparable to ADOM?

MisterStone

Arcane
I'm talking about ui and game mechanics, not content. If Adom were remade totally and these features given an overhaul, I'd be down.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The way to play the Ascii version now is, it seems, to download the NotEye integrated version and then switch the modes. Otherwise in either Linux or Windows the window is very small and not resizable.

almondblight

Arcane
Best part of ADOM is the puppy cave. It's usually downhill from there, especially if you have to do that carpenter quest for the 100th time (better to just jump into the infinite dungeon and race down until you die).

Gwendo

Augur
The way to play the Ascii version now is, it seems, to download the NotEye integrated version and then switch the modes. Otherwise in either Linux or Windows the window is very small and not resizable.

How do you switch modes? I can't find anything about that, so I downloaded the version without Noteye. What's the difference? Can we resize the window or something?

Gozma

Arcane
In contrast Crawl seems to get more compelling gameplay out of simpler mechanics, and has better UI enhancements such as the abovementioned auto explore, etc.

One thing I don't want RL newbs to think is that autoexplore is good in itself. It's really this: You can't ever do shit like hold down an autorepeating movement key to cross a big area in a good Roguelike. There's too much danger of getting your character killed in even one turn of inattention if a bad situation arises. So how older, non-autoexploring Roguelikes would do it is to let you execute a command that would be parsed as (for example), "Go to the left as much as possible, but halt movement if an enemy or a trap or whatever appears". This works great in simple map designs like the classic Rogue "box rooms connected by snaking corridors" which is how most levels in a game like Nethack get generated. It also works in completely open spaces. But if you want to have bigger maps and a lot more types of complicated random map generation (and even more complicated predesigned "vaults" that plug into random maps) it starts sucking. In effect, Crawl-style autoexplore is a way of giving you that kind of perfectly careful movement that works on more types of map.

Damned Registrations

Well, auto explore also has the advantage of being a hell of a lot simpler for the player to execute. Just a single button, instead of what is usually 2 just for a portion of the area you want to traverse, which probably includes corners and doors. It also handles things like picking up gold or nigh weightless objects like scrolls or jewelry that you'd be a fool not to grab all the fucking time.

Auto explore would be really nice even in something like Nethack, just for clearing the floor of loot after a messy fight or saving yourself some insanity when trying to find the stairs you didn't notice a zombie died on top of and now can't find on a map with 20 random piles of useless loot.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
How do you switch modes? I can't find anything about that, so I downloaded the version without Noteye. What's the difference? Can we resize the window or something?
I keep forgetting the shortcut, but I think the way to go is Ctrl-M which brings you to the NotEye menu. Then you can search for graphics options and choose the ascii one, and then resize the window at your leisure.

Palikka

Arcane
You can also play the dos version through DosBox. There you can decide the screen size yourself, also full screen with alt+enter.

I tried playing the tile version few times. Still hate it.

MisterStone

Arcane
In contrast Crawl seems to get more compelling gameplay out of simpler mechanics, and has better UI enhancements such as the abovementioned auto explore, etc.

One thing I don't want RL newbs to think is that autoexplore is good in itself. It's really this: You can't ever do shit like hold down an autorepeating movement key to cross a big area in a good Roguelike. There's too much danger of getting your character killed in even one turn of inattention if a bad situation arises. So how older, non-autoexploring Roguelikes would do it is to let you execute a command that would be parsed as (for example), "Go to the left as much as possible, but halt movement if an enemy or a trap or whatever appears". This works great in simple map designs like the classic Rogue "box rooms connected by snaking corridors" which is how most levels in a game like Nethack get generated. It also works in completely open spaces. But if you want to have bigger maps and a lot more types of complicated random map generation (and even more complicated predesigned "vaults" that plug into random maps) it starts sucking. In effect, Crawl-style autoexplore is a way of giving you that kind of perfectly careful movement that works on more types of map.

Well yeah, it's not there because people are too lazy to explore, it's there to speed up the tedium of walking down empty hallways and prevent character death due to inattention. It's always good to have I think. If you find yourself in a hairy part of the dungeon you just need to not use it... like anything else it's a skill devoted players will develop.

Gozma

Arcane
I just said it to forestall shit like, "so u want the game to play itself huh!??"

And yeah the code used for autoexplore also gets used for incredibly nice things like "automatically move to the nearest revealed stair", "move to specified item", and a hundred other conveniences.

Damned Registrations

What's the deal with these graphics? Who thought it was a good idea?
He did a kickstarter for going back and finishing ADOM a while back. Graphics were one of the goals. So... all the people who donated? Unless they all wanted whatever was a goal AFTER the graphics. But I get the feeling it's the other way around, with graphics whores funding the additional races, classes, artifacts and quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom