Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review And Book Review He Did

Elzair

Cipher
Alright, here is some more!

IMG00050.jpg

WOMEN!!

IMG00058.jpg

What would a modern fantasy 'epic' be without some male-bashing, am I right?

Now, here are two LOLs on one page!

IMG00059.jpg

For those of you that cannot make that out, here is the relevant section.

She spun at the same time, meeting its head with a great swing of her blade. The creature's head was instantly decapitated, its body spinning and kicking on its own in reaction, ichor splattering everywhere.

How can a head be decapitated? According to yourdictionary, a person or a body can be decapitated, but a head cannot! Either Gaider should have used "disembodied", or in Bioware's New Shit world, even heads can lose their heads! How mature!

There is another one two paragraphs down.

IMG00060.jpg

Here is the relevant passage for the visually impaired.

"No!" Maric shouted as he saw Katriel collapse, her eyes rolling up into her head. The vicious puncutes on her shoulder were already swelling, black tendrils radiating out from it underneath the skin like a dark corruption." (Emphasis mine)

Here is the tale of Lancelot and Guinevere written by a half-wit!

IMG00062.jpg

Alright, that is the most lulzworthy moments of the book I bothered to find. Stick around for my comprehensive review!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hahaha, what the fuck?

This guy is such a terrible writer.

He reminds me of Indian film critics on cheap newspapers who describe a petty thief in a film as a "dreaded gangster".

So much hyperbole in every instance of the story, it's as if the whole book is one long window dressing.

Elzair

Cipher
BTW, how should I submit a review for possible mainpage coverage?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I read the Jane Whitefield series recently.
:singletearofjoy:

Now those were good books (6 of them).

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Elzair said:
BTW, how should I submit a review for possible mainpage coverage?
PM me. If it's worth it, we'll put it up. If not, you can post in forums.

Zeus

Cipher
ElectricOtter said:
Hümmelgümpf said:
Did Gaider rip off goddamn Eragon?
There is no words to describe this.

That'd be like making a fifteenth generation copy of a VHS cassette. It'd just be static and the vague outline of Luke Skywalker.

Zeus

Cipher
Elzair said:
can a head be decapitated? According to yourdictionary, a person or a body can be decapitated, but a head cannot!

According to The Art and Science of Embalming: Descriptive and Operative by Carl Lewis Barnes, it can!

But what the hell does Carl know. All he does is wear sweatpants and bring home women from the bus stop.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If anyone comes and calls this the best fantasy novel of the year they should be shot.

Wouldn't say it's truly horrible; but the writing is definitely amateurish. But then again I didn't expect excellent quality from Bioware writers. At least he manages to string together enough plot to write a book. Bethesda writers probably can't do a novelette.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
poocolator said:
This is depressing me. I can't believe this went to print? I guess the company behind the unabashed promotion of this book makes more than enough to cover the cost of printing this shit none'll buy.

Go to your local bookstore. Find the "romance"-section, also known as "bodice-rippers". Take one book in random and read it. There's a good chance its equal quality. This shit, unfortunately, sells.

Strikes me as on par or better than most of the AD&D licensed stuff I read in middle school, probably on par with the Eddings/Brooks/Feist/Pierce type stuff I read around the same time. It's hard to imagine stomaching it as an adult, but it strikes me as perfectly passable for schlock fantasy.

Honestly, I don't really see a huge difference between this level of prose and George RR Martin's; the latter is certainly somewhat better, but it's only a difference of degree, not a difference in kind. But for the anti-Bioware sentiment, I doubt people would be so agitated.

Elzair

Cipher
I just wanted to let all of you know that I have sent a full-length review of this piece of shit fanfiction to DarkUnderlord, and it will be posted whenever the editors feel like it.

Nael

Arcane
Elzair said:
I just wanted to let all of you know that I have sent a full-length review of this piece of shit fanfiction to DarkUnderlord, and it will be posted whenever the editors feel like it.

Your courage is astounding. Kudos.

Quilty

Magister
WanderingThrough2 said:
Honestly, I don't really see a huge difference between this level of prose and George RR Martin's;

Even Martin's worst moments are better than this trash.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The last paragraph from the last photo: AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! MAGICAL STREAM!!! FORGOTTEN RUIN!!!!! AHAHAHAHA!!!!
That is sure to soak some panties.

Nael

Arcane
FeelTheRads said:
The last paragraph from the last photo: AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! MAGICAL STREAM!!! FORGOTTEN RUIN!!!!! AHAHAHAHA!!!!
That is sure to soak some panties.

FatGothKid.jpg

Consider her panties soaked then... WITH THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT!!!

Elzair

Cipher
Alright, sorry about the review taking so long. I had to extensively revise it because DarkUnderlord said the initial copy did not meet Codex standards. He said it contained too much bile. (for the Codex? WTF?!) Anyway, the new version will hopefully meet Codex standards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom