Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Angry cunts need not exclude fair, reasonable angry cunts

Angthoron

Arcane
OP has unresolved one-way homoerotic feelings for me and the Primordia dev and wants someone to write a slashfic.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
And I thought my topic about raw's avatard was bad. This is easily the worst Site Feedback topic I have seen in the past 5 months.

Ban Maiandros and Retardo this topic.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Help differentiate between one and the other by disallowing people like Angthoron or the Primordia developer we have here (to name a couple among many others) from shitposting on other developers and/or their companies. Especially since they have a fondness of doing so by using -not- their real identity, heavan forbeet, but some cosy, safe virtual identity. Zero the responsibility, ethical or otherwise, double the immature joy of shitting for the sake of shitting.

We all read and agreed with Swen's post about a CoD fan reviewing his Original Sin, about the unfairness of people a-priori biased being in a position to affect others..many others. We all know about doritos, about being a cunt, about diluting, polluting your opponent's products. And where it can lead to.

So why does the Codex, self-proclaimed torch bearer of the incline allow devs to do exactly the fucking same to others? Here, of all places? Because they bring the incline? Before or during shitting on their peers? Because they help you with community contests? Before or after they assume rights other than those they wish for their own selves? Fuck their gifts, if this is how they behave.

When you come here as a team's representative, or as a team's developer, i should have thought you come here baring certain responsibilities. Above those of the average, professionally-unrelated Joe. If you are unable to comprehend or fall along with that, perhaps steps need to be taken.

shut up.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
14778615274042043166.gif

BBMorti

Arcane
This is what happens if you play too much TeS, should serve as a warning for D1P's

No, fuck off. What sets the codex apart from other places is that we are free to post our opinions independent of their idiotic/biased/reprehensible content, it's not because somebody works with game development that his content should start being labeled or censored, We're all intelligent enough to form our own judgement and call out on bullshit, thank you

What's wrong with just putting the information out there and letting people make their own minds up? I'm not saying they should be censored, and I'm only talking about reviews - you know, the very thing that we mock the Dorito crowd for. Where's the harm in including a footnote sayng 'by the way, I'm a developer and here's a link to the game I'm working on'?

Would that be too confusing for you? Too difficult to wrap your head around so much information?

Perhaps. But that's no reason to stop the rest of us from having the full information in front of us. I, for one, trust people to be able to make up their own minds so long as they have all relevant information. There's no reason why we should prevent readers from knowing relevant information, such as the financial interests that a reviewer has in the industry.

Angthoron

Arcane
No, fuck off. What sets the codex apart from other places is that we are free to post our opinions independent of their idiotic/biased/reprehensible content, it's not because somebody works with game development that his content should start being labeled or censored, We're all intelligent enough to form our own judgement and call out on bullshit, thank you

What's wrong with just putting the information out there and letting people make their own minds up? I'm not saying they should be censored, and I'm only talking about reviews - you know, the very thing that we mock the Dorito crowd for. Where's the harm in including a footnote sayng 'by the way, I'm a developer and here's a link to the game I'm working on'?

Would that be too confusing for you? Too difficult to wrap your head around so much information?

Perhaps. But that's no reason to stop the rest of us from having the full information in front of us. I, for one, trust people to be able to make up their own minds so long as they have all relevant information. There's no reason why we should prevent readers from knowing relevant information, such as the financial interests that a reviewer has in the industry.
If the developer wants to announce it, sure. I like the fact that we have some developers here, clearly tagged and/or otherwise representing their companies, gives a chance for a reasonable discussion.

However, there's a slight but - many companies actually have explicit rules about social medias, and if you begin posting on Twitter as Joe Brown, Gears of War 18 Studio Developer, your posts become subject to scrutiny of your corporate overlords. This has been a very obvious thing with that MS Exec that went and posted what was essentially his own opinion on Always Online, and ended up being ejected from the company for it. This is a real thing. Hell, this is a real thing not just in game dev, it's a thing in journalism, government, anywhere where you need to worry about any kind of public image at all. Revealing yourself like that on a forum and then staying to post your own negative opionions about stuff is quite unlikely in such a corporate climate.

Furthermore, do recall the people that were here on Codex in official station with company tags on - people from Beth, for example. PR guys. Yeah, those are what you're only going to get from major companies, really - indies have a much easier time posting under their own names and/or representing their companies than someone at EA. So, they shouldn't be coming to Codex then, if they can't disclose their employment? Nonsense.

P.S: It's always more fun to eventually discover someone's a corporate shill and tar-and-feather them to much public joy, anyway.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I don't shitpost about other games under an assumed name. If a game fucking sucks, I'll say it fucking sucks under my "own" name.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Well I think OP raises a fair point. Devs should review stuff under their "own" name. I mean sure, we can call people out on the bullshit but then threads can be easily derailed into a "yes you are - no I'm not" kind of loop.

aris

Arcane
I dunno, rpgcodex has a strong contender in the youtube comment field.

I think in this day of age, codex pretty much isn't unique for anything anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom