Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Annie Carlson plays the AoD combat demo

betamin

Learned
Put for example a legendary boxing match: Hearns vs Ray Leonard, the latter was considered one of the best of all times in defense while Hearns was great offensively. In their first fight hearns didn't knock leonard down but scored a lot of points with hits that weren't full power, so thanks to his 'dodge' abilities Leonard could avoid most damage but not all. That seems more realistic as a real life situation than Hearns not doing any damage at all. Besides, in fights the random factor plays A LOT.

If you really think that the dodge dude should have a .05 chance of getting hit against a foe of equal skill in an opposite area I believe that you live in a strange world my friend.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Vault Dweller said:
While someone may argue that evenly matched opponents should produce a 50/50 chance, I don't think it works well in games where a 50% chance plus frequent reloads can assure you a victory.

Can't say that I agree with that. Let cheesy players be cheesy and reload their fill. I don't think making the game harder for those who play fair is... fair. :wink:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Vault Dweller said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
If it's 200 and 200 the bonuses to hit and to defence should cancel each other.
It's a matter of perspective. The way I see it, x value at dodging means that you can dodge attacks made by someone with x value at attacking. In other words, 50 points at dodging teaches you how to avoid attacks made by someone with an equal skill at attacking. To make it easier to understand, let's say that 50 points in attacking means that you've mastered the basic attacks, in which case 50 points in dodging would mean that you've mastered how to avoid basic attacks (but would be vulnerable to more advanced varieties you aren't familiar with).
Hmm... Is dodge some uber skill that allows automatically avoiding attacks or does it have some limitations like having to activate it and not being able to attack/being much less effective at attacking?

Lonely Vazdru said:
Vault Dweller said:
While someone may argue that evenly matched opponents should produce a 50/50 chance, I don't think it works well in games where a 50% chance plus frequent reloads can assure you a victory.

Can't say that I agree with that. Let cheesy players be cheesy and reload their fill. I don't think making the game harder for those who play fair is... fair. :wink:
Yeah. Right now it sounds like it's going to be cheesy for everyone.

Vault Dweller said:
Morgoth said:
Vault Dweller said:
What happened to:

"Sounds like AoD at it's current state is a bug ridden piece of shit."

"I don't gonna buy some dip**** game from a 5 man team."

Why such an interest in a bug ridden piece of shit dipshit game from a 5 man team? Inquiring mind wants to know.
What's your problem? Can't you give me a straight answer to a simple question?
Releasing a full demo is counter-productive (removes impulse purchase) because it will be included in the full game anyway. The full demo/game will be beta tested by a few selected people, but will not be open.
You are counting on impulse purchases?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'll admit, that does sound a bit odd.

If it may sway you: Fallout had a demo, and it made me really want to buy the game. It was very nice to see "Hey, I can kill them. Or, hrm, I can talk them out of it. Or I can help their enemies. Or I can cut the power here with this item and then sneak in. Or I can hack their computer for the info I need. Or I can join them. Or I can..."

You concern about the demo being part of the full game is very easy to mitigate: just make like Fallout and set the demo in an area that is in the actual game, but has nothing to do with the plot of the game itself (except tangentially) and has unique NPCs and quests that are not found in the game.

PorkaMorka said:
Vault Dweller said:
PorkaMorka said:
Specifically, it goes into details which make the combat system sound seriously fuck up(sic).

If NPC has 200 dodge, and you have 200 sword skill, you have only 5% to hit.

If NPC has 200 dodge and you have zero sword skill, you have only 5% to hit.

This is working as designed.
It is. What seems to be the problem?

To have a good chance against somebody you have to be better than him/her. While someone may argue that evenly matched opponents should produce a 50/50 chance, I don't think it works well in games where a 50% chance plus frequent reloads can assure you a victory.

If you're complaining about the points investment that seemingly makes no difference then:

A) the difference is that someone with 200 points in swords can kill most people while someone with 0 points can't kill anyone.

Two problems:

a) It gives nonsensical and counter intuitive results
b) It is going to lead to an incredible amount of failed builds once we're outside of a combat demo and people are spreading their skill points around more.

a) nonsensical and counter intuitive results

200 points in a fighting skill makes you an adept or expert in that skill, considering 300 is the max.

It's counter-intuitive and counter-factual to say that a novice fighter (30 points) and an expert fighter would have the same chance at hitting a guy who is an expert defender (5% chance). In reality this is not remotely the case, a guy who hasn't trained at all will have a much worse chance than a guy who has trained enough to become an expert.
ITS are copypasting Fallout 1 fail. It had exactly the same problem, but of course when F1 is teh greatest RPG in teh world evar, and criticisms of it's rule system are ignored, what do you expect.

Anyway where did this 5% is the lowest probability possible come from? It couldn't be lazy switching from a d20 system to a d100 could it?

The > threshold = auto success, else fail is another fail mechanic they've apparently re-introduced, despite my criticizing it ages ago.

I am expecting a good role-playing experience, multiple solutions and interesting quests, but the combat are character mechanics from the snippets we have been given do not fill me with hope.

The guy who didn't spend any points in fighting is actually better off than the guy who spent 200 points in fighting, because he has 200 points that he spent somewhere else which will presumably not be quite as useless.
If he'd attempt to pass a dialogue/text adventure/sneaking/crafting/lockpicking/disarming check requiring more than 200, his 200 points would be even less useful, because he won't even get that 5% chance.
100% fail, no saving throw, for you

Vault Dweller said:
PorkaMorka said:
Doesn't really match my conception of real life combat ...
What's that gotta do with anything? Does chess match your concept of two armies fighting each other in real life?
Are you serious?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jasede said:
I'll admit, that does sound a bit odd.

If it may sway you: Fallout had a demo, and it made me really want to buy the game. It was very nice to see "Hey, I can kill them. Or, hrm, I can talk them out of it. Or I can help their enemies. Or I can cut the power here with this item and then sneak in. Or I can hack their computer for the info I need. Or I can join them. Or I can..."

You concern about the demo being part of the full game is very easy to mitigate: just make like Fallout and set the demo in an area that is in the actual game, but has nothing to do with the plot of the game itself (except tangentially) and has unique NPCs and quests that are not found in the game.
Fallout demo changed my perception of Fallout from "an interesting game that I probably won't ever buy" to "holy fuck, I have to buy it RIGHT NOW!"·

I liked the demo being a mini-game too.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Hobbit Lord of Mordor said:
ITS are copypasting Fallout 1 fail. It had exactly the same problem...
What problem is that?

Anyway where did this 5% is the lowest probability possible come from? It couldn't be lazy switching from a d20 system to a d100 could it?
I believe that there is always a min chance to succeed. Call it luck.

The > threshold = auto success, else fail is another fail mechanic they've apparently re-introduced, despite my criticizing it ages ago.
Please restate the criticism.

Overall, as someone who communicates for a living, I can assure you that "> threshold = auto success, else fail " is a very realistic approach. Try convincing your boss to give you a promotion and/or increasing your pay without having enough skills to overcome his resistance.

Link

If he'd attempt to pass a dialogue/text adventure/sneaking/crafting/lockpicking/disarming check requiring more than 200, his 200 points would be even less useful, because he won't even get that 5% chance.
Explain.

Vault Dweller

Developer
betamin said:
Put for example a legendary boxing match: Hearns vs Ray Leonard, the latter was considered one of the best of all times in defense while Hearns was great offensively. In their first fight hearns didn't knock leonard down but scored a lot of points with hits that weren't full power, so thanks to his 'dodge' abilities Leonard could avoid most damage but not all. That seems more realistic as a real life situation than Hearns not doing any damage at all. Besides, in fights the random factor plays A LOT.

If you really think that the dodge dude should have a .05 chance of getting hit against a foe of equal skill in an opposite area I believe that you live in a strange world my friend.
As I've explained: "While someone may argue that evenly matched opponents should produce a 50/50 chance, I don't think it works well in games where a 50% chance plus frequent reloads can assure you a victory."

RPG combat systems aren't faithful adaptations of real life battles. Like chess, they are abstract concepts that have nothing to do with realism.

Vault Dweller said:
What problem is that?
That you will get game situations where 100 pts of character investment are wasted? I think it's self-explanatory.

I believe that there is always a min chance to succeed. Call it luck.
But why does that chance have to be 1/20? Why can't it be 2.3% of 1.0% since you chose to use a percentile system?

Please restate the criticism.
Well to start with it philosophically contradicts your immediately preceding statement - there should always be a chance to succeed - "call it luck". Equally, it means that stat points will be 'wasted' on the first playthrough. The luck is no longer tied to player judgments (luck, as in you are told/can calculate there is a 20% chance of success, and a 7% chance you will be worse off for trying if you fail), but blind luck. It also means the first playthrough will be different than the second and third. Once you learn that you need exactly 80% in a particular skill in one part of the game, but anything over 80% is useless (never threshold checked), you will aim for exactly that and nothing else. Or decide it's not worthwhile, and not take the skill.

It's player knowledge of what the character doesn't know changing his decisions.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Vault Dweller said:
RPG combat systems aren't faithful adaptations of real life battles. Like chess, they are abstract concepts that have nothing to do with realism.
It depends on a system. There are systems that try to be realistic, like TRoS, GURPS and CP2020.

Also, if dodge is more powerful, is swords skill cheaper to get than dodge?

Vault Dweller said:
Explain.
You don't see the contradiction between the "minimum threshold skill checks" and "there should always be a chance in combat" positions, both inherited from Fallout 1.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller said:
What problem is that?
That you will get game situations where 100 pts of character investment are wasted? I think it's self-explanatory.
They are not wasted. They only go so far, as they should. Let me ask you a question. You put in 100 points into a weapon skill in a system that goes up to 300. What do you expect? To be able to kill some enemies, most enemies, all enemies? If you agree that 100 points shouldn't ensure you a victory over anything (which is what Fallout #1 flaw was, btw, as there was no reason to invest more than 100 points even though the system went up to 200/300), would that not mean - according to your own logic - that's the points are "wasted"?

But why does that chance have to be 1/20? Why can't it be 2.3% of 1.0% since you chose to use a percentile system?
Why not 5? 1 is too little, 10 is too much. 5 makes sense.

Well to start with it philosophically contradicts your immediately preceding statement - there should always be a chance to succeed - "call it luck".
I meant in combat. Your opponent can trip, make a mistake, open up; you can have a lucky strike/shot, etc. While you can hit the right spot with some luck, you can't come up with a good argument that greatly surpasses your knowledge/abilities just because you were lucky. Different areas.

I do agree that luck should apply in lockpicking/disarming, but I'm concerned that the player will be able to reload fishing for that lucky chance, which would make investing pointless. We're considering adding/increasing the luck factor for the ironman version - without reloads it would work fine.

Equally, it means that stat points will be 'wasted' on the first playthrough. The luck is no longer tied to player judgments (luck, as in you are told/can calculate there is a 20% chance of success, and a 7% chance you will be worse off for trying if you fail), but blind luck. It also means the first playthrough will be different than the second and third. Once you learn that you need exactly 80% in a particular skill in one part of the game, but anything over 80% is useless (never threshold checked), you will aim for exactly that and nothing else.
All checks for all non-combat skills go all the way to 300. You may decide that you don't need what 250 - for example - in some skill opens up for you, but that's a different matter.

Vault Dweller said:
Vault Dweller said:
What problem is that?
They are not wasted. They only go so far, as they should. Let me ask you a question. You put in 100 points into a weapon skill in a system that goes up to 300. What do you expect? To be able to kill some enemies, most enemies, all enemies? If you agree that 100 points shouldn't ensure you a victory over anything (which is what Fallout #1 flaw was, btw, as there was no reason to invest more than 100 points even though the system went up to 200/300), would that not mean - according to your own logic - that's the points are "wasted"?
Personally? I would keep it simple, have no arbitrary minimum/maximum values, and allow to-hit %ages to reach 0% and 100%. If you are so underpower/overpowered that success ratios are <5% or >95%, you are not going to (/always going to) win the battle anyway. For the character getting <5% chance, something is seriously wrong with your character build or you are trying something way too difficult for your level too early. You are not realistically going to succeed the series of <5% rolls you need to win a battle unless you save/reload cheat. Such a weak character should be able to resort to multiple buffs or extreme risky tactics (berzerk/critical type of attack) but shouldn't be able to just continue as normal since he knows he will have a 5% of success whatever happens.

By the way it was the maximum %ages which was more of a problem for me in Fallout 1. Eg, a crippled, unconscious wounded opponent at your feet one square away, using an aimed sniper rifle attack to finish him off, which misses.

And I do not agree that there should always be a chance at anything. The reason I think skill thresholds are bad design is mainly the player/character knowledge issue.

Why not 5? 1 is too little, 10 is too much. 5 makes sense.
There is a big difference between 5% and 1%. Needing to roll 100 times to expect success vs 20 times represents a big difference in the distribution of outcomes, which you are throwing away. With 20 rolls you can expect to achieve a few successes in the average length battle (as long as you survive), and if your damage is high enough it might even be worthwhile. If you need 100 rolls you're not going to be bother.

Well to start with it philosophically contradicts your immediately preceding statement - there should always be a chance to succeed - "call it luck".
I meant in combat. Your opponent can trip, make a mistake, open up; you can have a lucky strike/shot, etc. While you can hit the right spot with some luck, you can't come up with a good argument that greatly surpasses your knowledge/abilities just because you were lucky. Different areas.

I do agree that luck should apply in lockpicking/disarming, but I'm concerned that the player will be able to reload fishing for that lucky chance, which would make investing pointless. We're considering adding/increasing the luck factor for the ironman version - without reloads it would work fine.
Again, I don't think there should always be a chance of success.

For non-combat skills, my approach would be to allow attempts if you are within some distance of the threshold. Instead of Speech 80%+ = success, something like chance = (Speech-60%)*5
[chance 0->100% from Speech 60 to Speech 80... Speech 70 gives you even odds].

That way, the player just 1 level-up away from the threshold (which he is unaware of on the 1st run through) needed to pass will still have some kind of chance, but the player who never bothered at all with the skill won't. And the guy who heavily invested his points suffers no risk of failure.

That way, there is a less heavy penalty on not having played the game before, and there isn't a "guess what the difficulty threshold is" meta-gaming.

As for save/reloading, that's a problem you can't prevent, cheaters will do that whatever your efforts. There's no use trying. You can't stop cheating, because if you have fixed absolute skill thresholds players inclined to cheat will look for a walkthrough and design their characters based on it - a different kind of cheating.

If you are saying your justification for thresholds is to discourage save/reload, then it looks pretty weak.

Equally, it means that stat points will be 'wasted' on the first playthrough. The luck is no longer tied to player judgments (luck, as in you are told/can calculate there is a 20% chance of success, and a 7% chance you will be worse off for trying if you fail), but blind luck. It also means the first playthrough will be different than the second and third. Once you learn that you need exactly 80% in a particular skill in one part of the game, but anything over 80% is useless (never threshold checked), you will aim for exactly that and nothing else.
All checks for all non-combat skills go all the way to 300. You may decide that you don't need what 250 - for example - in some skill opens up for you, but that's a different matter.
If the full range of skills are used for skill checks, that's good, but it still leaves the replay problem.

Another solution to skill thresholds would be to randomize them within a certain range at the start of each game. That would avoid the need for probability rolls for non-combat checks, while still reducing the replay/player knowledge issue. It might also be easier to implement.

Vault Dweller

Developer
PorkaMorka said:
I will grant you that your mechanics likely make sense inside a certain range. The problem is that they appear to break down badly outside of that range.
You are no longer absolutely certain? We're making progress then!

200 points of investment in dodge reduces a trained man at arms with 200 swords to the offensive effectiveness of a untrained peasant... yet the peasant's effectiveness is still 5%, just like the man at arms.
Again, you're failing to grasp one huge difference. A guy with 200 points in swords is a very good fighter who can defeat most people in the gameworld, while an unskilled peasant can't defeat anything at all.

Take the famous "Miyamoto Musashi vs Sasaki Kojirō" duel. Kojiro was considered one of the finest swordsmen who often fought against several opponents. Yet Musashi didn't even use his sword and fought and killed him with a wooden stick, showing his disdain and superiority. I'm sure that Kojiro was very pissed off when he was dying and thought that he wasted decades of his life and at least 250 points, which were as useless against Musashi as if he had - wait for it - no skills at all.

And if you throw more men at arms out there, does their chance to hit get any higher (per person), or does Mr. 200 dodge maintain his 95% dodge rate against five 200 swords opponents?
The same.

Doesn't really match my conception of real life combat or RPG combat in general.
Like I said, rpg combat is not about realism, which is why we have turns, hit points that allow your character to be hit repeatedly with a battle axe, be reduced to 1hp and fight as well as if he were a well rested man without a scratch, instantly healing spells and potions, 250 pounds of spare armor and weapons that don't slow you down at all, kill hundreds of people and creatures throughout a game, etc.

For example, in a D&D based game, instead of having 300 points of dialog skill, where only a small portion of the numbers can actually be the threshold required to pass a check, you will typically put in four points at first level, plus one point per level thereafter, plus a stat bonus ranging from +0 - +5. This means that it's extremely easy to figure out where you stand as far as your ability to pass checks, and it means that there will likely be new challenges you can pass each time you raise your skill level...
In a linear game? Sure.

In comparison, going from 281-284 may well be entirely meaningless in a a 300 point system.
Our Skills Points represent experience. In a class-based system you usually need to gain a few thousand points to gain a level and gain a handful of points. Let's say you need to hit 10,000 but you only have 9,500. Are they "entirely meaningless?" Yes or no, please.

What's crazy about your system though is that it takes only 200 points of dodge to render 200 points of swords as useless as zero points.
First, it's basic math. -50+50=0. Not -100+50=0. Second, it's much harder to get 200 points in Dodge than in Swords. No, it doesn't cost more but it's a secondary skill. High Dodge without high weapon skill is pointless as then it's only a matter of time until your opponent kills you and since dodgers don't have heavy armor, they go down easy. So 200 in Dodge implies at least 200 points in a weapon skills, so we're talking about 400+ points, which is more than half of what you can get in the game.

No see, the problem with your system is that it the threshold for your points spent in combat to become useless is vastly lower than in typical systems.
Ok. So, our system is not like other systems. Where is the downside? If you've read the quotes I posted, it certainly appears that people were enjoying it.

This makes your system vastly more unforgiving...
That it is.

Sorry I was unclear, I should have used a different word, when I said "homebrew" I was referring to any system created from scratch by the developers, rather than adapted from a licensed product such as an existed P&P system.
Well, it goes without saying that a system that was polished for decades would be better than something that was developed in a few months and tweaked for a few years internally. The downside, however, is that I know DnD like the back of my hand and all the novelty is long gone. So, personally I'd take a slightly flawed new system, like PtD, for example, over a well polished but too familiar DnD.

betamin

Learned
Vault Dweller said:
betamin said:

As I've explained: "While someone may argue that evenly matched opponents should produce a 50/50 chance, I don't think it works well in games where a 50% chance plus frequent reloads can assure you a victory."

I haven't read all the responses but I hope the linearity this system would bring would be taking care of since you wouldn't be able to take on X foe unless you level
Y times but I can see where you are coming from, I can only imagine the possibilties if the player would be forced to find alternative solutions to combat problems, I guess linearity wouldn't be a problem anymore.

Kinda dissapointed about the "non realism" aproach since I train, but on the other hand the ranged combat seems to be going in a great direction, im excited to see it working.

Oh, and Im actually happy that you would try this new system because as you said, there are too many D&D and its a very forgiving system, yours seems more visceral

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Vault Dweller said:
What problem is that?
Personally? I would keep it simple, have no arbitrary minimum/maximum values, and allow to-hit %ages to reach 0% and 100%. If you are so underpower/overpowered that success ratios are <5% or >95%, you are not going to win the battle anyway.
You didn't answer my question. Or does it mean that you agree with me?

For non-combat skills, my approach would be to allow attempts if you are within some distance of the threshold. Instead of Speech 80%+ = success, something like chance = (Speech-60%)*5
Which is a chance of success.

As for save/reloading, that's a problem you can't prevent, cheaters will do that whatever your efforts. There's no use trying.
I beg to differ. If a system encourages you to reload by giving you a reasonable chance to succeed despite low skills then people will reload and try again. If a system doesn't do it, then reloading is kinda pointless.

If you are saying your justification for thresholds is to discourage save/reload, then it looks pretty weak.
I think that many gamers consider exploits as part of the design. They won't use an editor to give themselves 200,000 XP because that's cheating but they will use an exploit (like the conversation loop in PST where you gain 200-300,000 xp every time you click on a certain line) because it's in-game and thus legit. Eliminating exploits and reducing reasons to reload (to achieve a more favorable result by simply clicking on something again) is definitely a good thing in my book.

Krash

Arcane
Another solution to skill thresholds would be to randomize them within a certain range at the start of each game. That would avoid the need for probability rolls for non-combat checks, while still reducing the replay/player knowledge issue. It might also be easier to implement.

That's a p damn good idea, actually.

Vault Dweller said:
Vault Dweller said:
Vault Dweller said:
What problem is that?
Personally? I would keep it simple, have no arbitrary minimum/maximum values, and allow to-hit %ages to reach 0% and 100%. If you are so underpower/overpowered that success ratios are <5% or >95%, you are not going to win the battle anyway.
You didn't answer my question. Or does it mean that you agree with me?
True I didn't answer directly.

Question 1: I expect to be able to kill enemies who are of my level. I also expect to have a relative (dis/)advantage against all enemies depending on my investment. Unless I have really no chance (<1%) of success in which case I do not expect an arbitrary minimum chance to succeed which is unwarranted by my stats and skills.

Question 2: I think Fallout had a screwed skill system, which meant some investments were a total waste, yes and that learning from that means the same mistake should obviously be avoided.

Which is a chance of success.
Yes, evidently. Though you only have that sliding scale of a chance within a skill range. If you invest nothing you won't even get a chance.

As for save/reloading, that's a problem you can't prevent, cheaters will do that whatever your efforts. There's no use trying.
I beg to differ. If a system encourages you to reload by giving you a reasonable chance to succeed despite low skills then people will reload and try again. If a system doesn't do it, then reloading is kinda pointless.
The problem with cheaters is the cheaters. Some people don't cheat, by warping the game design to try to make cheaters not cheat, you make the game worse for honest gamers.

And as I pointed out, you encourage a different kind of cheating not allowing the possibility of skill check successes within a small range.

I think that many gamers consider exploits as part of the design. They won't use an editor to give themselves 200,000 XP because that's cheating but they will use an exploit (like the conversation loop in PST where you gain 200-300,000 xp every time you click on a certain line) because it's in-game and thus legit. Eliminating exploits and reducing reasons to reload (to achieve a more favorable result by simply clicking on something again) is definitely a good thing in my book.
I disagree with that view. The ability to save/reload constantly so your character is able to do anything (whatever his stats) is not the designer's fault. Ideally I would like save points, eg rest areas, but that might not be commercially viable.

What do you think of my proposal, which is a simple way of enhancing replayability and removing the distortions of the threshold game mechanic (since you insist on keeping it)?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I disagree with that view. The ability to save/reload constantly so your character is able to do anything (whatever his stats) is not the designer's fault.
Actually it was partially fault of designers of games like Fallout, Arcanum, etc. who actually assumed that players will SFL through their games to the point of advising players to do so in game manuals and brought up a generation of people who are accustomed to using such exploits.

I wonder what's the point of making a game that emulates PnP RPGs and then spoiling it by teaching players to repeat combat/skill usage until they "win".

Personally, I have found Fallout/Fallout2 a lot more enjoyable when I have started to play Iron Man. Mainly because it allowed avoiding being frustrated by repeated deadly failures. I think I have played Fo1 a few hundred times and despite remembering the whole game, I still enjoy playing it because each play-through can be different depending on what character I create, C&C and various random factors.

Big Nose George

Educated
I didn't read all the words in this thread which is longer than the eula of the last game I pirated but while scrolling I've detected numbers that go up till 300.

VD, does AoD have skills that go to 300? Why does it go to 300 instead of 100?
I don't like bug numbers.
I also hope AoD has a great story =D . Does it? Any hints?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Again, you're failing to grasp one huge difference. A guy with 200 points in swords is a very good fighter who can defeat most people in the gameworld, while an unskilled peasant can't defeat anything at all.

I'm not failing to grasp it, I just don't find it relevant to discuss, as your system is probably working properly in that case, and what I'm worried about is the areas where it breaks down.

The ability to beat up random thugs may be small consolation to you if you get stuck on an encounter due to 5% chance to hit, but your other skills like stealth and dialog are too watered down to pass the encounter in other ways, due to your investment in swords.

The thresholding effect makes hybridizing your guy far more risky than a more typical system where failing to match your swords to enemy dodge, but still investing substantially, just left you with 45-25% hit.

Vault Dweller said:
Take the famous "Miyamoto Musashi vs Sasaki Kojirō" duel. Kojiro was considered one of the finest swordsmen who often fought against several opponents. Yet Musashi didn't even use his sword and fought and killed him with a wooden stick, showing his disdain and superiority. I'm sure that Kojiro was very pissed off when he was dying and thought that he wasted decades of his life and at least 250 points, which were as useless against Musashi as if he had - wait for it - no skills at all.

Unfortunately for your example, accounts vary heavily of what exactly happened in that fight, some experts think that they Mushashi and his buddies just assassinated Kojiro.

Luckily, we don't need to go to feudal Japan to get examples of guys fighting; we have unprecedented access to watch guys fighting today. Admittedly, we don't know everybody's stats, but one thing is clear;

Journeymen- expert fighters tend to get beaten up by Master level fighters... but they do a lot better than an untrained person would. And when two guys who are of the same skill level fight, they hit a lot more than 5% of the time.

So your system doesn't really produce results that match player expectations which have been built up from both reality and from other RPGs.

Vault Dweller said:
First, it's basic math. -50+50=0. Not -100+50=0. Second, it's much harder to get 200 points in Dodge than in Swords. No, it doesn't cost more but it's a secondary skill. High Dodge without high weapon skill is pointless as then it's only a matter of time until your opponent kills you and since dodgers don't have heavy armor, they go down easy. So 200 in Dodge implies at least 200 points in a weapon skills, so we're talking about 400+ points, which is more than half of what you can get in the game.

Well, I will have to take your word on this for now (that there aren't going to be any strong builds favoring dodge over weapon skill), since I don't have access to the game. It's certainly possible that people won't run into the thresholds much in actual gameplay.

Vault Dweller said:
Like I said, rpg combat is not about realism, which is why we have turns, hit points that allow your character to be hit repeatedly with a battle axe, be reduced to 1hp and fight as well as if he were a well rested man without a scratch, instantly healing spells and potions, 250 pounds of spare armor and weapons that don't slow you down at all, kill hundreds of people and creatures throughout a game, etc.

True, you don't need realism, but you still want the mechanics to make sense to your players, and players have certain expectations both from real life and from other RPGs that are being defied here.

People expect spending a substantial amount of points in fighting to put them ahead of not spending any points at all, and people expect a reasonable progression of effectiveness from no investment, to moderate investment to max investment, if people run into the 20 swords but 5% hit issue in actual gameplay a lot, they're going to be confused and/or irritated.

Vault Dweller said:
Our Skills Points represent experience. In a class-based system you usually need to gain a few thousand points to gain a level and gain a handful of points. Let's say you need to hit 10,000 but you only have 9,500. Are they "entirely meaningless?"

Yes or no, please.

Not meaningless, unless you're at the EXP cap, or you have no way to earn more EXP prior to the encounter you're stuck on.

Similarly, due to the low caps in this game, a hybrid might not always be able to spend more points, or you might not be able to earn more points to raise your swords prior to the encounter you're stuck on.

Vault Dweller said:
Ok. So, our system is not like other systems. Where is the downside? If you've read the quotes I posted, it certainly appears that people were enjoying it.

The downside is that it makes building a hybrid character extremely risky, unless you've got a guide telling you what level of skill you'll need.

Whereas in a more typical system, if you guess wrong and have your sword skill a little too low for a certain encounter, you'll be at a disadvantage, but it won't be like you didn't spend points at all.

This will make it very frustrating for people who guess wrong on how many points they'll need. It is not ideal for players to be frustrated by unintuitive game mechanics.

Right now, everyone is building pure combat characters for the combat demo, so this issue would be minimized compared to the real game where people will want more skills. I know that I'm pretty much scared to build a hybrid character without a guide due to this mechanic.

Anyway, don't feel obliged to go for a super long response as I'm probably gonna respond less to this thread as it's taking me too long to write these long ass responses.

Vault Dweller

Developer
PorkaMorka said:
I'm not failing to grasp it, I just don't find it relevant to discuss, as your system is probably working properly in that case, and what I'm worried about is the areas where it breaks down.

The ability to beat up random thugs may be small consolation to you if you get stuck on an encounter due to 5% chance to hit...
This isn't a game where you fight progressively tougher enemies. If you have to fight someone, it's because of something you did, i.e. something that was 100% avoidable.

... but your other skills like stealth and dialog are too watered down to pass the encounter in other ways, due to your investment in swords.
We've covered that part.

Porka: ".. there is a huge chance of players to just make failed characters when they get into the real game rather than the combat demo. Likely many people will want to mess around with a few skills (a little combat, a little dodge, a little stealth, a little diplomacy)..."

VD: "Sounds like a winning strategy. Let me guess, I'm expected to make sure that a guy who's invested a little bit in combat would be as good as someone who's a dedicated fighter, right? "

Porka: "No see ...your system vastly more unforgiving..."

A jack of all trades won't do very well in AoD. Some specialization will definitely be required. Anyway, let's end this rather pointless debate for now. The demo will be out in a few days. Try it and then you'll tell me what you didn't like specifically.

Overall, you've made some good points and I'm not saying that the system we have now is perfect, totally amazing, and beyond any criticism. We'd appreciate all and any criticism, especially from you, and maybe the system should be tweaked and the linear formula should be replaced with something more curved IF what we have now - as flawed as it may sound to you - doesn't work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom