Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anno 1800

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Last edited by a moderator:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Good news. Two SF games in a row got old. Although, just please for the love of god stay away from third-party DRM. I'm still having nightmares about Anno 2070 and having to download a patcher on my own as well as setup host address manually because uPlay decided to goof up.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Like with MMX, they are soliciting fan input for the game:
www.anno-union.com

The Anno Union sets sail and we need you in Anno’s new community initiative.

Join the team at Ubisoft Blue Byte here in picturesque Mainz in the creation of Anno 1800. Get the latest news, development insights, behind the scenes content and help us shape the future of the franchise, as we regularly invite gamers to share their feedback, vote on features, create content and test the game during its development.

You are not only at the right place to get all Anno 1800 information and updates to come, we also will actively look out for your input in order to use the vast knowledge of our Anno Union member to shape and test our game. Our most dedicated and active Anno Union member will get the chance to play the game as early as 2017, one year before our release.

While there is still a vast ocean to cross before the release, we decided to invite you early. We want to create the ultimate Anno experience together, because your passion is what always drove us. With the long history of the Anno franchise, taking the next step side by side with our veteran players and new strategy fans alike was the logical step to create the game both we and our fans want.

Keep in mind that all the material we will share in the upcoming weeks and months are of a game in a very early development state. We are currently in so called Pre-Alpha and with upcoming blogs, we will update you on the current state of the game as well as explaining what the lifecycle of a game in development actually means.

More details will follow soon, so keep a keen and sharp eye on new content on the Anno Union and jump right away in our comment section to share your thoughts, questions and ideas!

vonAchdorf

Arcane
From the interview:

The three pillars of the new Anno:

Flexibility - they want to make the most versatile Anno of the series. (Whatever this means.)
Depth - they bring back beloved features like trade routes, AI enemies and multiplayer, but want to expand and explore these even more deeply.
Emotion - a whole slew of narrative elements, engaging characters and a gigantic, systemic world.

They also want to focus on replayability, long-term motivation and accessibility.

Other features which make a come back: multiplayer, ai characters, military, trade routes, transport goods, objects(?), diplomacy, random maps and detailed game options.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nice :)

I still haven't played Anno 2070 because the DRM keeps me from buying it so I hope Anno 1800 won't have such a crazy copy protection

Not sure what to make of the Emotion thing tho, I just wanna build stuff and watch my workers work

made

Arcane
Hehe quoting myself from another Anno thread a couple years ago:

A setting I would have liked them to use is the Industrial Revolution (which, if they were to stick with their naming scheme, would have to be called Anno 1800). You could start with farms and sailing ships and then gradually tech up to factories and massive steamships bellowing smoke everywhere. But that was before they took the series in this new direction where you can't even build ships in the first place. I can only hope that 2205 flops and they're forced to return to their old ways.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hehe quoting myself from another Anno thread a couple years ago:

A setting I would have liked them to use is the Industrial Revolution (which, if they were to stick with their naming scheme, would have to be called Anno 1800). You could start with farms and sailing ships and then gradually tech up to factories and massive steamships bellowing smoke everywhere. But that was before they took the series in this new direction where you can't even build ships in the first place. I can only hope that 2205 flops and they're forced to return to their old ways.
Cool. Now I'd like some lottery numbers. kthxbai

Perkel

Arcane
Absolutely not interested. I don't care about "features" they talk when main gameplay is shit and wasn't fixed since Anno 3 (forgot number). And 2 and 3 were still inferior in therms of gameplay to Anno 1602.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This might be good.

But it's Ubisoft we're talking about so the DRM will be atrocious. Bought the game on Steam? HAHAHA FUCK YOU WE HAVE ADDITIONAL DRM FOR YOU BECAUSE THIS IS HOW WE ROLL

Might pirate it, tho.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Absolutely not interested. I don't care about "features" they talk when main gameplay is shit and wasn't fixed since Anno 3 (forgot number). And 2 and 3 were still inferior in therms of gameplay to Anno 1602.

You didn't like 1404?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I would not get my hopes high about it. It is UbiSoft we are talking about. They can always find a way to ruin any game concept. Plus, last Annos were utter shit, especially space one

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Quick notes from an interview:
  • optional campaign with mucho emotions
  • configurable sandbox elements in the campaign
  • military part is totally optional
  • conflict is integrated in the main map, to separate like in 2205
  • AI characters with a different background, personality and behavior like 1404
  • role of trains is still in a tweaking phase
  • "physical" goods will be transported and stored
  • slavery will be hinted at, even requiring the player to positions themselves, but slaves will not be part of the economy / wares
  • carts will (likely) be associated with the production venues not the warehouses
  • purely aesthetic (toggleable) day night cycle
  • no seasons (they don't want to force the player into a time corset)
  • the player can engage in imperialism and colonialism (with consequences)
  • different climate zones all but confirmed (huge expansive empires)
  • zones ("sessions") will be in, but much larger than in 2205, more like in 1404
  • exploring more than your initial region is optional
  • timeframe is 1800 - Titanic
  • extensive configurability

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Anno, now with EMONSHUNUL ENGAEGMENT!

WTF is this, Bioware?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Funny thing is, they can't go higher than 1800, because that would fuck up their naming (1+8+0+0 = 9, 1+6+0+2 = 9, 1+5+0+3 = 9, etc).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nice :)

I still haven't played Anno 2070 because the DRM keeps me from buying it

What, why? You buy the key for a few bucks at G2A or some such (or even on uPlay, they have regularly 70+ percent off deals).

Sure, it's the French who are running uPlay so in their lazytude and sloppiness they haven't bothered to fix the autoupdater bug so you have to manually download and apply the latest patch. But that's it, after that you can play. The game is still fantastic, content-wise the best and the richest in the series, even if perhaps not as charming as 1404.

As for 1800, not sure about the setting. The Industrial Revolution isn't exactly the most evocative and exciting era. Just remember what happened to Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - it flopped even though mechanically it's by far the best AC. I hope I'm wrong tho, absolutely love the series.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Funny thing is, they can't go higher than 1800, because that would fuck up their naming (1+8+0+0 = 9, 1+6+0+2 = 9, 1+5+0+3 = 9, etc).

They said they are only committed to this as long as it doesn't interfere with their plans - if they want a setting in the 20th century (19XX), they'll do it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

They said they are only committed to this as long as it doesn't interfere with their plans - if they want a setting in the 20th century (19XX), they'll do it.

They can always do "Anno 1936 - 1945" ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom