Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another Silent Storm Appreciation Topic

sser

Arcane
Developer
The LMG destroying brick walls was amazing. Best thing about Silent Storm was the how the completely apeshit level of environmental destruction allowed you to think outside the box tactically in so many missions. So many ways to do things differently just by applying MG42 or grenades to the environment (tho one UI gripe I have is that it's sometimes kind of hard to shoot up a wall with an LMG due to the fact you can't control spread at all or the finnicky way the game interprets terrain targeting). Important detail was that the game also didn't penalize you for wanton destruction most of the time (physics bugs leaving objectives floating in the air aside), incentivizing creative demolition further. I didn't even really use Reggie towards combat, like maybe at most a quarter of his grenades were actually aimed at enemies, his main purpose was to act as a remote battering ram. But there is one particular mission where this is REALLY notable because the penalty is mission failure but that's not the only bad part about it, which brings us to...

The environmental destruction could have downsides, THAT Swiss factory mission could take fucking forever because of maybe 10+ minute Neutral turns when the AI pathfinding desperately tries to think what the peons should do (also you are well and truly fucked if any of the peons starts bleeding). It didn't help that THAT Swiss factory also had some really bizarre load-bearing properties which tended to cause entire walls collapsing at once from one hole.
one thing happened to me that i broke the floor on the door to the objective room and the AI cannot find path into it, so i just blew a bigger hole so my guys can climb from it into the room.

where this house where there is an exploding barrel in the basement and i accidentally shot it and blew it up to smithereens.

there is also one time where reggie hid behind a tree and stupidly ordered him to lob grenade at an enemy over, but the grenade bounced, and exploded in my crew's face. shit is hilarious

There's a good cutscene manipulation part somewhere in Silent Storm. Can't remember the exact mission - you gotta meet a double-crossing contact in the 2nd floor bathroom on a building. After he double-crosses you he runs out the door. But if you mine the area first he runs out and promptly explodes and drops through the gashed floorboards.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The LMG destroying brick walls was amazing. Best thing about Silent Storm was the how the completely apeshit level of environmental destruction allowed you to think outside the box tactically in so many missions. So many ways to do things differently just by applying MG42 or grenades to the environment (tho one UI gripe I have is that it's sometimes kind of hard to shoot up a wall with an LMG due to the fact you can't control spread at all or the finnicky way the game interprets terrain targeting). Important detail was that the game also didn't penalize you for wanton destruction most of the time (physics bugs leaving objectives floating in the air aside), incentivizing creative demolition further. I didn't even really use Reggie towards combat, like maybe at most a quarter of his grenades were actually aimed at enemies, his main purpose was to act as a remote battering ram. But there is one particular mission where this is REALLY notable because the penalty is mission failure but that's not the only bad part about it, which brings us to...

The environmental destruction could have downsides, THAT Swiss factory mission could take fucking forever because of maybe 10+ minute Neutral turns when the AI pathfinding desperately tries to think what the peons should do (also you are well and truly fucked if any of the peons starts bleeding). It didn't help that THAT Swiss factory also had some really bizarre load-bearing properties which tended to cause entire walls collapsing at once from one hole.
one thing happened to me that i broke the floor on the door to the objective room and the AI cannot find path into it, so i just blew a bigger hole so my guys can climb from it into the room.

where this house where there is an exploding barrel in the basement and i accidentally shot it and blew it up to smithereens.

there is also one time where reggie hid behind a tree and stupidly ordered him to lob grenade at an enemy over, but the grenade bounced, and exploded in my crew's face. shit is hilarious

There's a good cutscene manipulation part somewhere in Silent Storm. Can't remember the exact mission - you gotta meet a double-crossing contact in the 2nd floor bathroom on a building. After he double-crosses you he runs out the door. But if you mine the area first he runs out and promptly explodes and drops through the gashed floorboards.
Think there was youtube video for it too. Damned if I can find it now.

sser

Arcane
Developer

Think there was youtube video for it too. Damned if I can find it now.

I think I might have misremembered it a bit --

Pretty sure it's this scene right here and the trick was to have him explode the second he walked in :lol:

I think it was actually me that had a clip of it on YouTube from some ancient and presumably defunct account. One other cutscene I remember messing with was from GoldenEye on the mission where you escape with the plane. You could throw a bunch of timed mines onto the side of the plane and then hop in. As the cutscene showed you leaving, the plane would leave behind a series of explosions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom