Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter AntharioN

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do the cat dudes always look so pissed off?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You would be pissed off too if you were forced to be a furry....

All those locked doors in the beginning..... and not having a thief. That's going to bug the shit out of me...:M

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
crpm3RE.jpg

:hmmm:

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, another penetrating question: is there a way to have your guys walk around without standing RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER ALL THE TIME except in combat? I mentioned this a bunch of times during the KS and over the last couple years but the guy ignored me. I'm assuming there's no fix for it, but ... just wondering.

P.S. Yes, this also drove me crazy in Earthbound.

Zombra

Patron
In case anyone is wondering about details ...

Update #46

Jul 15 2015

Released!

AntharioN has officially been released!

Emails were sent out to everyone with a DRM free direct download link and a Steam Key from noreply@humblebundle.com.

AntharioN is available directly from orphicsoftware.com where anyone who buys it will get a DRM free direct download + a Steam Key. It's also available on Steam and the Humble Store.

In the immediate future we'll be working on getting the remaining rewards out to you guys as well as finishing up the iPad version of the game. The iPad version should be out within a month.

Thanks everyone!

- Orphic Software

Apexeon

Arcane
Happy backer here.

What I like is the movement system which feels Blobber like.
And I met some rats that took me back.
Now that is old school.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I've played enough to get to level two, I'm enjoying it so far. I went without a designated tank character to test the games combat strengths. I got thief, black mage, priest and sage (alchemist guy apparently).
The combat is a bit annoying how there is no hot key to highlight the monsters to click on (like D:OS) but it's all pretty minor quibbles. Game is delivering so far as promised on the virtual-box.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just some quick impressions so far (only an hour or so and no further than the sewers in the 1st "quest" town south of the starting area):

- Really like the simplistic visuals as it does have it's own... "charm" for lack of a better word.
- You create your four characters. You can distribute points yourself or select predefined classes like Fighter, black(offensive)/white(healing)/grey (alchemy) magic-user, thief, warrior.
- Your character's in-game appearance reflects what your paper-doll has in the inventory screen so equip a round shield in the shield slot and a round shield pops up on your character in the game world.
- Definitely take a thief as I've encountered many locked doors and chests already and there are NO spells to unlock things.
- Time flows by each step you take. Movement is fast outside of combat if you hold down the mouse button when walking.
- In combat you have 4-5 action points to use. Right now everything seems to use 1 AP; 1 AP for one space movement, 1 AP to switch a weapon in inventory, 1 AP to use a potion, etc. Once you attack your turn is over regardless if you had any AP left.
- Combat is pretty simple right now basically exchanging blows back and forth to whittle down the enemies hit points. As of right now it reminds me of Ultima 6 type turn-based combat but I've only been in a few fights so far.
- The Mana bar for my healer and dark magic-user doesn't last long and each only has 1 spell so far. Those two PCs I had to move away from combat several times.
- Each hour you rest takes 1 food from inventory. I'm at such low level now that 1-2 hours totally heals my party.
- Very few enemy animations (no walking animation) but nice little touches like blood appearing on your weapons and armor. Also nice sound and death animation when you kill an enemy.
- This does not seem to be a choices & consequences type game at this point. Main plot quests you automatically accept. Only choices I've had in dialogues was whether to accept a side-quest or not.
- Speaking of dialogue, it's "OK." Very generic writing so far but this definitely feels like an exploration game... not a story focused one.
- Don't have much info on the main quest so far. You start out as four prisoners who are the only survivors of a town massacre (starting area where you valiantly battle the rats :P) and you try to unravel the reasons for the attack and seek out some type of Codex!!!
- There is alchemy in the game but I haven't crafted anything yet, just collected a bunch of ingredients. I don't have any recipes yet.
- You can go in any direction once you leave the ruined starter town but going in certain directions (anyway but south) means a quick death unless your very fast and avoid some nasty critters wandering around.
- You can usually see enemies before they engage you and start the turn-based combat. There is a fog-of-war that retreats as you move similar to the BG games.

Overall, I'm having a lot of fun with it even though it lacks a lot of complexity right now. It will certainly get compared to Vogel's earlier games as those seem similar to this so far only better on the eyes. This is definitely an exploration style game where finding newer/better weapons/armor/rings/etc. and leveling up to finally get to go to other parts of the game map is the focus, which is just fine with me... so far.

Mustawd

Quick quick impressions:

-Seems like a Vogel game with more charm but with worse writing and UI elements.

PS. How in the F do I skip a PC's turn? I'm stuck moving them around in circles...

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
My party is lvl 4 already but my 2 casters are still underwhelming. The black magic wizard can shoot a few firebolts before running out of mana and standing around useless, the white magic wizard can heal a few times before doing the same. My 2h-guy and the archer/thief are basically running the combat all by themselves so far, I really hope this changes later on since so far especially the black magic wizard seems like a waste of a party member. :?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My party is lvl 4 already but my 2 casters are still underwhelming. The black magic wizard can shoot a few firebolts before running out of mana and standing around useless, the white magic wizard can heal a few times before doing the same. My 2h-guy and the archer/thief are basically running the combat all by themselves so far, I really hope this changes later on since so far especially the black magic wizard seems like a waste of a party member. :?

You have the exact party I do even down to the archer/thief :obviously:. Same results here as the two wizards are not able to do very much and I end up having them move away from combat as their mana runs out so quickly. Still I'm enjoying the game so far playing paper-doll dress up and the fog-of-war clearing mini-game :P

Dyskolos

Cipher
I just started so maybe this is answered pretty quickly in the game - but the tutorial pop-up with the first rat fight mentions haste and slow as character conditions. Anyone far enough yet to know which magic school these belong to or whether they're even spells vs. alchemy products? Since the opening spell for grey magic (polymorph) is different than either black (firebolt) or white (minor heal) I'm wondering if grey is an altogether different track and not just a weakened combo of the other two.

Also, any impressions on the value of alchemy? I always take it and almost always end up regretting it.

Mortmal

Arcane
Quick quick impressions:
-Seems like a Vogel game with more charm but with worse writing and UI elements.

I am quoting the flaws but that seems to be serious ones .All of this does not sound really exciting now to be honest, subpar writing, useless classes and a lack a complexity ...The useless class part is worrying, that could completely break my enjoyment of a game . 17.99 euros, that's another one that will end up at -75% in a few months, nothing going down faster than an indie rpg, I'd better wait.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
I am quoting the flaws but that seems to be serious ones .All of this does not sound really exciting now to be honest, subpar writing, useless classes and a lack a complexity ...The useless class part is worrying, that could completely break my enjoyment of a game . 17.99 euros, that's another one that will end up at -75% in a few months, nothing going down faster than an indie rpg, I'd better wait.

Well I'm only lvl 4 tho. It might be that the wizards become incredibly strong in the later game, but for now at least they are rubbish.

Oh and the lack of a real automap instead of just a tiny minimap isn't really helping in the (quite large) dungeons

Mustawd

Quick quick impressions:

I'm actually having more fun than the Avernum games to be honest (original or remake). But the writing could use a bit of polish. But yeah...$18 is quite a bit for this game from my initial impressions. I'm surprised they went with such a high price point.

Zombra

Patron
Any comment on characters "dying" and then coming back to life constantly? When my Fighter got "killed", I thought, that was it, I'll have to reload, but I finished the fight anyway and he got back up. This is somewhat confusing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom