Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter AntharioN

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess it's a design decision. Revive 'em with 1 HP\MP.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting! OK, so I'm going to guess that the whole "you die and become a skull but then you're fine" isn't something we're supposed to understand. Either that or the design is just sloppy as hell. Either way, fun game so far :P

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Ok so some more early-ish impressions. I'm level 7 and up to the second swampy area.

* Getting a hold of new spells for my white mage and black mage and buying new equipment for my dudes seems impossible. As the mages are basically useless after their mana is burnt, I have to prioritize the melee so that I have a chance of winning fights and progressing. It would be nice if there was some default abilities learned as they leveled to counter this.
* Not really a complaint, but it's interesting how you have to "dump" ability points into niche skills which aren't related to combat. Have to have foraging so I get some decent loot, gotta have lockpicking to get into the loot, need some bartering to counter the markup on prices, then someone has to get to 40 lore to identify the sweet loot. Meanwhile the characters aren't hitting as hard or as often as they should be.
* The pissy little map is pretty gimped, I would like to see this improved.

Anyway, I got home and played basically till I went to bed, so I'm definitely enjoying exploring and leveling up. Got my $17 worth of entertainment already.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
crpm3RE.jpg
Hey! "Mysterious Ear"! You got that too, huh? At first I was like, "Was this quest item procedurally generated?"

neucifer

Novice
So, would the people playing this recommend it for full price yet? It looks like an interesting Spiderweb-y mashup of concepts but I want to know if it exceeds expectations & its influences.

Zombra

Patron
So, would the people playing this recommend it for full price yet? It looks like an interesting Spiderweb-y mashup of concepts but I want to know if it exceeds expectations & its influences.
I'm only a few hours in, so take this fwiw. I wouldn't say it exceeds expectations, but it's solid. Look at the trailers etc. and you'll know what you're getting. If it were me and I had nothing else I was excited to play, yes, this would be worth $18.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree with Zombra. I'm having a lot of fun with it as a purely exploration style game. I've also had zero technical issues which is surprising in today's KS world.

Dyskolos

Cipher

Did you ever play the Eschalon games? This feels closer to those than to any of the Spiderweb ones - mainly for the low attention to story and the fact that race and class are no more than cosmetic choices (with +X, -Y results for any selection). But it's definitely charming for what it is and, unless it changes after the first few hours, it's one of those steady games where some youtube footage should be a solid indication of personal appeal. I'm taking it like mindx2 as an exploration game and for that it's much more enjoyable better than the Eschalons were.

neucifer

Novice

Did you ever play the Eschalon games? This feels closer to those than to any of the Spiderweb ones - mainly for the low attention to story and the fact that race and class are no more than cosmetic choices (with +X, -Y results for any selection). But it's definitely charming for what it is and, unless it changes after the first few hours, it's one of those steady games where some youtube footage should be a solid indication of personal appeal. I'm taking it like mindx2 as an exploration game and for that it's much more enjoyable better than the Eschalons were.

I've eyed the Eschalons but never played any of them. There's a much lower barrier to entry there - $5 or so. Might be wise to buy Book 1 first and see if I enjoy the style of game.

neucifer

Novice
Also, were I to play an Eschalon, should I start with Book I, or (since the series isn't really story-driven) is there a better entry point?

V_K

Arcane
Also, were I to play an Eschalon, should I start with Book I, or (since the series isn't really story-driven) is there a better entry point?
I think the general consensus is that Book II is the best in the series. And if you like the gameplay you can always pick Book I after that since the plot ties between them are next to none.

On an unrelated note: anyone seen any puzzles in Antharion?

Dyskolos

Cipher
"Aha! This proves that there are Necrophils in the area!"

Yeah, I was in a conversation where someone mansplained to my female necrophil that they're just mindless summons. It was quite triggering.

As V_K says, most agree that Book II is the best (and III the worst). The only consideration is that the movement speed in I is so painfully slow that going to that from II's increased (but still slow) speed can be even worse than encountering it cold.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Speaking of Eschalon Book II, since it's the best of them, anybody want to write a description of it for the Codex curator? 152 characters max. >_>

neucifer

Novice
Went ahead and bought Eschalon I on Steam (it was cheaper than Book II). Enjoying it so far. :) Thanks codexers.

Zombra

Patron
Race and class are no more than cosmetic choices (with +X, -Y results for any selection).
Thinking about this more, in gameplay terms I kind of like it. I was relieved to see that levelling up affords stat bonuses, so the fact that I made a totally suboptimal starting party will wash under the bridge pretty quickly.

Fargus

Arcane
Race and class are no more than cosmetic choices.
I was definitely disappointed when my Necrophil character handed a quest item to an NPC and he said
"Aha! This proves that there are Necrophils in the area!"

... :nocountryforshitposters:

It's even funnier when a party consisting of 4 necrophils asks mysterious man to tell about necrophil race...

Also can i build some kind of fucked up ear necklace with all those ears i'm collecting here and there?

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Speaking of Eschalon Book II, since it's the best of them, anybody want to write a description of it for the Codex curator? 152 characters max. >_>

If you enjoy hiking in empty worlds with a movement speed that would make the slowest of slow snails jealous, go ahead and buy this one. It's definitely the best in a shitty series, so you will only feel half cheated for your money.

You're welcome ;):P

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are just so many little annoyances with the game that are driving me mad.

- Why can't you enable snap movement in the options?
- Why is the resolution fucked?
- Why can't you move in all directions with the keyboard, only diagonal?
- Why can't you use keyboard to move during battles?
- Why can't you remap controls?
- Why are you forced to wait longer if you sleep for a long time?
- Why can't you list a big number of stuff to buy? (like, arrows. You're forced to slowly raise the amount with an onscreen button)

And the thing is, these all seem like things that should be really easy to implement. :(

Dyskolos

Cipher
I'll add my own

WHY IS THERE NO FUCKING MANUAL

I shouldn't have to save on level up, distribute skills differently, find a fight, and reload/repeat in order to figure out whether increasing 2-handed only pumps damage or also adds accuracy.

Hmm...want to play this game but it is $17, not sure if worth it to wait or buy now...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom