Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any games like Runescape but without-

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Anyone know of any games like Runescape but without the max all skills bullshit. I like and fully believe in skill caps and restrictive crafting profession selection.

What I am looking for is a game that is fully released that has character building like Fallen Earth, but restrictive crafting. I need content so games like Wild Terra where you just go and grind without direction are out. Same with Pathfinder Online.

I know Linkrealms is going into steam beta next month. Project Gorgon does not seem to have skill caps. Neither does RPG MO. Eldevin Online is a pretty decent game but has no Auction House.

I would prefer a game with a fixed perspective and an interesting character development system like fallen Earth and The Skies or DDO.

I know about the major mmorpgs. I am not interested in MOBAs or games that have no content. The mmorpg sites aren't much of a help since their lists suck and group mobile games, blatant non rpg games, shit browser games with all this flashing shit on your screen like all the R2 games, non mmorpg games, mobas, and other weird shit. Their looking for game forums have the same handful of major games recommended such as GW2, Final Fantasy, SWTOR, ESO, and LOTR. No one even has decent enough taste to recommend Wildstar which is better than all those games combined.

Das Tal holds no interest since even after release they plan on wiping all the servers every week or two for some reason.

Any recommendations. Obviously I am looking for the road less travelled and know about the big games. Other than DDO I do not like lobby/hub games where you rerun the same content over and over like Dragon Nest and the like.

Any recommendations would be very welcome.

Roqua

Prospernaut
One of you fucking monkeys must of come across something interesting in your search for hipster shit. Someone knows about an mmo with a deep and interesting rpg system/character building I haven't hurt about.

funkadelik

Arcane
Try Mortal Online. Although the playerbase is lacking. It's basically a 3d version of Ultima with Chivalry style melee combat and a magic system with lots of crafting.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Try Mortal Online. Although the playerbase is lacking. It's basically a 3d version of Ultima with Chivalry style melee combat and a magic system with lots of crafting.

Does it have content like quests and direction? I can't get into games where the focus is building shit. And the way to get shit and improve is just grind and grind with no direction. Have you played Pathfinder Online? It has a really good chardev system and the combat is fluid, and has some directions quest at the start. But npcs won't buy anything and you have to join a guild to have a safe area to grind. I just can't get into games like that.

Norfleet

I like and fully believe in skill caps and restrictive crafting profession selection.
Restrictive crafting profession selection mostly just gives a huge advantage to people like me, who are perfectly fine with countering by making a stable of crafting mules for full vertical integration anyway, while the rest of you schlubs are screwed and left at the mercy of the Chinese bot farmers.

Roqua

Prospernaut
I like and fully believe in skill caps and restrictive crafting profession selection.
Restrictive crafting profession selection mostly just gives a huge advantage to people like me, who are perfectly fine with countering by making a stable of crafting mules for full vertical integration anyway, while the rest of you schlubs are screwed and left at the mercy of the Chinese bot farmers.

If you say so. I've never been at the mercy of bot farmers and their high pricing makes me a ton of money. I always underprice everything and rake in the cash. And, again, I play mmos for the journey, not the end game made for people with Attention Surplus Disorder. The only games with an end game worth playing was WoW from BC to WotLK for the arena and character building options for the arena, and Wildstar for the Arena. Cash helps get you to end game, but doesn't have much of a function for me at end game where I either stop playing because I'm normal and do not have an attention surplus, or the arena gear can only be gotten through pvp and arena in both games (again, not sure about WoW after it became a choiceless kids game for idiots and degenerates).

Mustawd

Isn't Wurm Online supposed to be a spiritual successor of UO or something?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of you fucking monkeys must of come across something interesting in your search for hipster shit. Someone knows about an mmo with a deep and interesting rpg system/character building I haven't hurt about.

Have you played Guild Wars (the first one)? The tactical gameplay is second to none. It shits on IE games and it shits on TB rpgs in this area area. You'd have to play an actual strategy game to surpass it. It also has almost no grinding (most of it is for cosmetic items). The character building isn't that interesting though. You can swap skills freely in towns and you can only bring 8 skills into battle. Swapping skills to better fit the area you're going to is part of the strategic planning though. It's also only a mmo-lite because every area outside of towns is instanced for your party only (max 8 people).

Roqua

Prospernaut

Have you played Guild Wars (the first one)? The tactical gameplay is second to none. It shits on IE games and it shits on TB rpgs in this area area. You'd have to play an actual strategy game to surpass it. It also has almost no grinding (most of it is for cosmetic items). The character building isn't that interesting though. You can swap skills freely in towns and you can only bring 8 skills into battle. Swapping skills to better fit the area you're going to is part of the strategic planning though. It's also only a mmo-lite because every area outside of towns is instanced for your party only (max 8 people).

I've played it and agree it shits on the IE games in regards to tactics as does almost anything that requires player input, but strongly disagree in that it shits on the tactics of the good TB crpgs.

But, the rpg-lite chardev system is horrible and I can get the same restricted ability set from Wildstar, which has actual fun combat and is a real MMORPG and an actual good game.

But thank you for the recommendation.
Isn't Wurm Online supposed to be a spiritual successor of UO or something?

I think early UO was very content lite when it came to non-player created content, but now it has a lot of quests and content. I do not know if Wurm Online is a spiritual successor or not, but if I am going to get into a game and spend money on it I am not supporting no content games. Content costs a lot of money, and everyone supporting and paying the same price for games with no content as games with content is going to end up in games without content being the standard, and I cannot abide that.

Wurm ONline is a horrible suggestion. I play it and it's not anyting like what you want.

I looked through favorites and googled a few thigns but I can'thinik of anything, sorry.

These're what you want, right(?):
1) High quality content-driven progression--no(!) grindy content
2) Skills and skill caps
3) somewhat like Fallen Earth

EDIT: Have you tried Earthrise?

Last edited:

KidBoogie

Learned
Darkfall is the closest but afaik their lazy ass greek dev team basically gave up on it:

https://www.darkfallonline.com/

It's being remade by some fans but I don't know much about that, I was invited to alpha but I don't have time. Might want to check into it. This is a very hard core pvp game though (twitch first person controls, drop everything when you die, kill anyone anywhere, clan cities/wars, etc..) so not for gays. Had lots of fun on original release (2009 maybe? It's re-released about 10 times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8FWA5MEVtA

fun shit

funkadelik

Arcane

Does it have content like quests and direction? I can't get into games where the focus is building shit. And the way to get shit and improve is just grind and grind with no direction. Have you played Pathfinder Online? It has a really good chardev system and the combat is fluid, and has some directions quest at the start. But npcs won't buy anything and you have to join a guild to have a safe area to grind. I just can't get into games like that.
No it has no quests. The main focus is acquiring shit for pvp. You can build shit but the end game is killing other groups of people. The PvE is quite lacking as well.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Roqua Try Final Fantasy XI- http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/anyone-want-to-play-ffxi-before-it-got-bad.88965/.

Yes I know, I know. You hate JRPGs and Final Fantasy. This happens to meet all your requirements however.
Limited crafting- you can only max one craft (you can take the others to 60 out of 100 if you want to). They also happen to be extraordinarily difficult to max in the 80-100 range. Dunno if that part is to your liking.
Story/world content- there are several well crafted storylines (one for each starting nation, then one for each expansion). The storylines are entirely optional but you are rewarded handsomely for working through them. The starting nation storylines are particularly well done. There are also plenty of mini quest-chains and one-off quests for each nation/faction.
Character Development- uses a job/subjob system, you level each job separately and can combine them. Each job is unique and has its own interesting mechanics and abilities.
Camera- played from third person. You can go into first person at will if you want to (I use it for positioning sometimes since some abilities rely on your location relative to mobs/players).

This MMO also happens to punish stupid mistakes and encourage thinking tactically in solo and group situations. You can coordinate with members to create special attacks, and then coordinate further to boost magic damage off of your special attacks. It is really excellent group play and, as far as I know, unique in the MMO field.
It has C & C integrated into items. Items are unique and will often have conflicting stat sets EG super high ATK stat but massively slows your attack speed. You are allowed to switch any gear on the fly through macro commands, making gearset selection its own metagame. Very fun to mess around with.
The Nasomi server also happens to be set at a point where horizontal, rather than vertical, gear progression was the norm. High level gear might be specifically good for one or two situations but near-useless for others. Combines well with the gearset metagame above. You always have something to aim for gearwise... not just "the next ilvl of power" but "gear that enhances my ability to land Dark Magic".

Hmmm. I should probably necro the thread I linked actually. There have been some nice updates/enhancements to the server since my last post there.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Roqua Try Final Fantasy XI- http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/anyone-want-to-play-ffxi-before-it-got-bad.88965/.

Yes I know, I know. You hate JRPGs and Final Fantasy. This happens to meet all your requirements however.
Limited crafting- you can only max one craft (you can take the others to 60 out of 100 if you want to). They also happen to be extraordinarily difficult to max in the 80-100 range. Dunno if that part is to your liking.
Story/world content- there are several well crafted storylines (one for each starting nation, then one for each expansion). The storylines are entirely optional but you are rewarded handsomely for working through them. The starting nation storylines are particularly well done. There are also plenty of mini quest-chains and one-off quests for each nation/faction.
Character Development- uses a job/subjob system, you level each job separately and can combine them. Each job is unique and has its own interesting mechanics and abilities.
Camera- played from third person. You can go into first person at will if you want to (I use it for positioning sometimes since some abilities rely on your location relative to mobs/players).

This MMO also happens to punish stupid mistakes and encourage thinking tactically in solo and group situations. You can coordinate with members to create special attacks, and then coordinate further to boost magic damage off of your special attacks. It is really excellent group play and, as far as I know, unique in the MMO field.
It has C & C integrated into items. Items are unique and will often have conflicting stat sets EG super high ATK stat but massively slows your attack speed. You are allowed to switch any gear on the fly through macro commands, making gearset selection its own metagame. Very fun to mess around with.
The Nasomi server also happens to be set at a point where horizontal, rather than vertical, gear progression was the norm. High level gear might be specifically good for one or two situations but near-useless for others. Combines well with the gearset metagame above. You always have something to aim for gearwise... not just "the next ilvl of power" but "gear that enhances my ability to land Dark Magic".

Hmmm. I should probably necro the thread I linked actually. There have been some nice updates/enhancements to the server since my last post there.

Thank you for the recommendation, but I think the absolute worst character building system is the FF job system where you can max any job by grinding them all to max. This system is extremely rpg-lite and choice lite and just a pure grind fest of bad.

But thank you again for the recommendation.

Roqua

Prospernaut

I know Linkrealms is going into steam beta next month.

I just noticed this, apart from the paid EA and a cash shop, it seems mildly interesting. Has anyone played the closed beta?

I played it a while ago. It isn't bad, but the inventory got to me. It has the old Ultima 7 basket with icons over icons over icons crazy nonsense. I'll check it out again soon. But when I played it UO just seemed better with the new engine and all the content but this may have changed since then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom