Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good horror games ?

Sjukob

Arcane
Hello . Recently I felt the urge to play some horror games , unfortunately I don't know what can I play and don't feel like replaying the games I already know . So I ask you for advice , do you know decent horror games ? My only criterion is that they should contain action , I never liked games where you are defenseless like Penumra , Outlast , Amnesia . It's not necessary for recommended game to be a standalone game , I am ready to play mods if they are good . And no Resident Evil or Silent Hill , please .

The list of what I've played:
Area 51
Call of Cthulhu dark corners of the earth
Cry of fear
The suffering 1-2
Nightmare House 2
STALKER series ( if they can be considered horror games )
FEAR series

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Alien Isolation :troll:

Alone in the Dark 1 2 3 4
BioForge
Blood
Original Thiefs + good FM
AvP
Manhunt
Condemned

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Action? How about Condemned?

Also, semi-random list:

Eternal Darkness
Alone in the Dark series
Cleve Barker's Undying
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Also, maybe Cryostasis will be up your ass alley.

Fake edit: forgot about Cataclysm.
:troll:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
...not intentional ones, no. One enemy type (due to its nature) may jumpscare you, but otherwise you'll see things coming...slowly...right towards you.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Eversion.

Yes, it's a platformer. But it's free and doesn't take long to play through...but it'll stay with you forever.
It's free? I got it on Steam for $5. I think the evert button or whatever didn't work because I couldn't do anything other than play it like a typical platformer no matter what I pressed.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
And no Resident Evil or Silent Hill , please .

index.php

A user named cat

Scratches: Director's Cut
Darkness Within 1 & 2
Realms of the Haunting
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (for awesome mods like Penumbra: Necrologue and more)

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Manhunt.

images

Combine the urban terror atmosphere with simple stealth mechanics and horrible deaths plus excellent soundtrack and you will get a great addition to your list.

Eyeball

Arcane
Scratches is the correct answer here. Exceptionally atmospheric and does an excellent job at building the story and setting.

Sanitarium is another gem - it's not "horror" horror, but it features enough twisted environments and psychedelic scenes to make it a masterpiece of fucked-up game development and one is easily one of my top-10 adventure games.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's free? I got it on Steam for $5. I think the evert button or whatever didn't work because I couldn't do anything other than play it like a typical platformer no matter what I pressed.

There are two versions. The Steam one is the "Eversion HD" version which uses enhanced graphics, a revamped last level and a hidden ending. The free version is the original version with a more challenging last level.

The HD version also adds in the option that if you press the "Evert" button while not in the right place, an on-screen prompt will show you if there's a proper location nearby.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom