Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good horror games ?

zwanzig_zwoelf

First time I actually saw how the original version looked like. It does look creepier, more atmospheric, and due to first person camera it feels almost like a weird post-apocalyptic King's Field. Shame about the lack of English translation.

English translation is unnecessary unless you're a storyfag and prefer comfort over experimenting.
The only things you're missing - some item names/descriptions and the story. The rest is perfectly understandable.
As for item names, I'm unable to memorize jap stuff, which adds a lot to the creepy part. Healing items/weapons/armor can be easily distinguished, but there's only one way to find out what the rest of the items do. Which can either give you a good bonus or fuck you up.

Just give it a proper try.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I seem to remember an old game called Nocturne, you played as a supernatural detective, pair of .45s with silver bullets, trenchcoat and trilby. Fairly dodgy control scheme as I remember but I seemed to like it, and it had a vampire bird in it like Durham Red. No idea where you'd pick a copy up.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I seem to remember an old game called Nocturne, you played as a supernatural detective, pair of .45s with silver bullets, trenchcoat and trilby. Fairly dodgy control scheme as I remember but I seemed to like it, and it had a vampire bird in it like Durham Red. No idea where you'd pick a copy up.
This. Also Blair Witch trilogy.

These games need a proper re-release. I personally recommend grabbing a copy from (cough) old (cough) hyphen (cough) games (cough) dot (cough) ru (cough). They already did what's necessary to run the game.

Be advised - Nocturne is a bitch to run. I have VMware with WinXP installed just to play Mordor, Nocturne and a bunch of old games which refuse to run under Dosbox with Win98.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Nocturne is a pretty cool and drop-dead gorgeous game.

It ran fine on my Windows 7 x64 machine, the game did conjure up a few warnings about lack of RAM and low disc space (or something along those lines) but those can be ignored and IIRC switching on Windows 98 compatibility mode got rid of them completely. The menus were also a lot slower than they should have been but other than that the game worked flawlessly, I could even enable hardware acceleration without having to resort to a glide wrapper, I used a 560ti at the time.

Last edited:

Tancred

Learned
:necro:

Have there been any decent horror games released on PC in the last 4-5 years that I don't know about? Played most of the old ones already mentioned in this thread though there are a few I'll look at (Undying, Nosferatu).

The last newly released horror games I played and liked were STASIS/CAYNE, SOMA, Alien: Isolation and Outlast (the first one, not the shit sequel). Also tried In The Woods, Layers of Fear and The Land of Pain, but they're...not so good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom