Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good VR games

Got myself a Samung Gear VR headset recently. Was really just a 'yeah why not' online buy - it's a fuckton cheaper than the PC oriented VR headsets, the PC VR games don't look any better than the shitty android ones, and (importantly) it is very easy to use it for PC games anyway (the workaround is that you use nvidia shield to stream the PC vr game through an Nvidia hdtv topbox) - hence I agreed with the general tech review sites conclusion that 'only VR to get now is Samsung, as it's ultra cheap, can do nearly everything the expensive ones can right now, and it could easily be 10 years+ for the PC ones to really do anything to warrant the extra tech + cost.... so get the Gear VR now (if you have one of the several means of using it for PC as well as android, that is) and hold off on Occulus Rift until it's clear that PC gaming even CAN make non-gimic VR games into a quality genre.

So, that in mind, anyone have any suggestions for good VR games (including 'walking sims', which actually have potential in VR) on PC or Android) ? No biggy if there ISN'T - as I said, it's within 'fuck around for a weekend to see what the fuss is' price. For same reason, 'good' can include casual mobile games crap, as it's really just so I can spend an afternoon checking out what VR feels like and I won't be bothered if the thing just sits at the bottom of the draw forever after.

Jigawatt

Arcane
Samung Gear VR headset
To answer the question posed in the title with relation to this: No.

can do nearly everything the expensive ones can right now
Unsurprisingly, the general tech press is as retarded as ever. It can't do any translation tracking at all (it's not so important on Oculus, though it does improve immersion) meaning no room-scale VR like the Vive. It also does not have a (properly) tracked controller, and only supports a single one with limited buttons at that.

For me the only useful consumer application for the Gear are 360 videos and calls to people with 360/wide angle cameras, and they're already both pretty niche applications.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom