Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any mondblutian TB full custom party cRPG

Dorateen

Arcane
Strangely enough, I haven't seen Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor mentioned.

Is it actually good?

The turn-based combat is very slow. The multi-level dungeons are absolutely cavernous, so while filled with content, they can also feel like running through vast spaces of emptiness. It was the first cRPG using 3rd edition D&D (not 3.5) and to get it out the door, the developers limited the scope of a lot of class features.

It is certainly no equal to the original Pool of Radiance. But does meet the criteria of a custom party, turn based D&D adventure. The outdoor graphics are actually very well done, as are the character models. So if a player has a lot of patience, the game might be worth a try.

V_K

Arcane
Strangely enough, I haven't seen Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor mentioned.

Is it actually good?
As far I remember it (and I only played it on release), it had some very tight resource management. Levelling was very slow, so all the wands and scrolls you've found were extremely useful, and sometimes the success of a battle boiled down to your last cantrip. I also liked the non-linear dungeons, with many different connections between levels. On the other hand, character development was more or less butchered.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Whoa, this thread sure has been thorough, even obscure stuff like Prelude to Darkness, Voidspire Tactics, and Disciples of Steel has been covered. A good compendium to be sure, though it doesn't leave me much to add. Perhaps try Mordheim: City of the Damned, it's about as much of an RPG as X-COM (except more due to more extensive and detailed character customization), but might not be what you are looking for if you consider exploration essential. Then again, Blackguards got a mention.

Also, Japanese dungeon crawlers are a nigh-endless well of the kind of gameplay you are looking for, so you might want to scan the related threads for anything you may have missed, if you haven't already.

EDIT: Low Magic Age might be worth checking out, it is little more than a DnD combat engine at this point, with procedural Arena Mode battles, but an Adventure Mode campaign is supposedly forthcoming.

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane

Yeah, it's really much better than its reputation suggests.

I also highly recommend Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics. It's a PSP game, but don't hold that against it, as it's combat is like a lite version of ToEE.

dungeons-dragons-tactics-20070522051539110.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom