Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any RPGs with "alternate perspective" playthrough?

Nael

Arcane
Sort of an odd request I guess but can anyone think of an RPG where there are different characters or factions to choose at start and subsequent replays are different depending on who you choose to play as? All I can really think are strategy/RTS games that offer this sort of replay value. Can you guys think of any RPGs that do this? I'm sure there's gotta be a few out there.

Nael

Arcane
Nethergate

Any good? Worth playing? I've never put any considerable amount of time into any Spiderweb Soft's games. I think I played Avernum for about 10 minutes and couldn't ever get the resolution to fit properly on my computer so I put it down.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Witcher 2 is a great example, as the entire second act (which is a huge chunk of the game) is entirely different based on whom you support in Act 1. Love how they gave us unique perspectives on the same scenario.

Gothic 1-2 also offers great faction-based gameplay. High replay value.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
A few classic jRPGs did this, IIRC. Of course I'm too Incline myself to remember any of their names.

nomask7

Arcane
Nethergate was Vogel's pet project. I think it's a fair guess it's one of his better games.

Gothic 2 was optimised for a melee character, and while you can choose a faction very early on (and there are two factions that allow melee), something like half of the game is identical or nearly so for each faction even if you don't count the add-on area, which is identical as well.

Dyskolos

Cipher
Alpha Protocol. Depends somewhat on your standards for actual vs. apparent difference in playthrough since you keep to the same basic line no matter what but your experience and especially ending can branch off markedly.

Neanderthal

Arcane
From what I saw in Arcanum and hints I were getting off you lads, there's a shit ton of alternate content in that, and not just the Tech/Magic divide. Fallouts have a lot of this sort of thing as well.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
How could I forget Dragon Age Origins: Darkspawn Chronicles? OP, that's exactly what you're looking for!

V_K

Arcane
Also, Quest for Glory probably qualifies - there's some class-specific content and puzzle solutions vary greatly depending on you class choice, even though the story remains mostly the same.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dragon Knight IV

You fail the final boss fight, end up in jail and basically restart from the POV of a "mystery character" you had in your party in the first try

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Mother 3, even if as a role-playing game it sucks (cute japanese adventure game, though).

Nethergate is pretty fun, just give it a try.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Age of Decadence
Nethergate
Geneforge
Teudogar

We're talking about some of the best rpgs of all time here.

Nael

Arcane
I think I might give AoD a go. I played the demo ages ago and enjoyed it but sorta forgot about it.

Thanks for the responses.

deuxhero

Arcane
Morrowind had the Great House and East Empire Company questlines, which often (more so for EEC) showed opposite sides of the same quest.

The Nameless Mod (for Deus Ex) has two major branches for the plot that regularly run against eachother.

laclongquan

Arcane
Silent Storm offer two campaign, of two characters on both sides of battlefield WW2.

Final Fantasy 9 got quite a few scenes where you play a different characters from the MC. Quite a few, and the changes can be sudden depend on story advance.

Front MIssion 3 where you can have branched storylines with different outlooks.

Resident Evil series have a hidden stage where you play a different character from MCs and have a different looks at the story as it happen. LIke playing as Ada.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom