Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any tips I should know about before I jump into Darklands?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
First time I picked up Darklands like half a year ago (or maybe even further down the line, don't remember), and I remember ditching it after about an hour of playing because the combat enraged me so much, despite everything else being great.

I decided to revisit it a few days ago, and fucketh me. This game is so fucking good, the 'sandbox' games of today completely pale in comparison to this. The tons upon tons of stuff to do + tons upon tons of solutions to each problem and skillchecks are just godly, and it simply boggles my mind why the fuck was this not built upon or even at least cloned in future RPGs (motherfucking decline popamole bullshit, etc). And that setting + homework done to make it alive! I laughed my arse off when a priest in a heretic hamlet first told me to recite hail mary backwards 10 times and get drunk on sacral wine, and then told me the village's patron saints are 'Saint Simon Magus' and 'Saint Elymas'.

Having defeated three robber knights, burned down a couple of heretic hamlets and deposed two evil landlords among other things, the combat is still kind of crap, but at least it's beginning to get tolerable once your d00dz are armed with respectable arms and armour.

They don't make 'em games like they used to :( :( :(

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Wait until big dungeons like mines and castle. Eschalon is a fast game compared to Darklands. :D

Silva

Arcane
:necro:

Ive finished this game a decade ago, and Im just got it from GOG again for a new try.

What party composition you guys suggest for a least frustrating experience ? Should a Priest + Alchemist + Thief + Knight work ? Or should I have 2 warriors and condense priesthood and alchemy on a single guy ?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
One of my favorite game silva
Ok first of all the more you specialize a character the better of you will be.
You need at least on high level str and end character, your best bet is a noble who can finish up as a knight after no more than 3 5 year duties; a recruit, noble heir, knight will have a balanced skill set plus good starting armor
You second char should be a decent fighter with str and end of no less than 35 with a hunter\thief or military background for helping out when traveling and some good stats and high agility for climbing
Your alcehemist shoudl have at least 25 str (which can be boosted ingame with the magic fruit) and 30 end for wearing chainmail and should have at least 40 in healing so you can reach 45 for 3 healing points per day, he should also have high percepcion for lock picking and combat
Lastly your holy man should focus primary on getting as much charisma as possible as well as keeping the str and end values of the alchemist, have care to spend most of your points on religion, read and write as well as latin for getting access to churches and universities
Get darts for everybody so they can start off with some ranged combat before melee and using potions later on
Pick weapons which are fast and penetrating like the short sword, mace and my favorite the military hammer but keep at least a few longswords for everyday combat and for fun a musket
Try to move to a city like nuremeber with good quailty weapons and armor plus a university to raise your healing and speech skills
After you have some money start donating to villages (not devil worshippers) and always help out pilgrims
Forget the holy relics quests and focus on the raubritters and savescum the game while trying for quest from the patrons so you can get 5 6 patron is several towns per raubritter mission
Get chainmail fast for everybody and plate for your knight
After you have 40 florins or so go arround the country visting churches to learn saints
Hope it wasn't too much info but I love that game
Oh and about the combat, it is kind of frustrating bu also realistic where once you are engaged by an enemy all commands seem to not work, but try to set your weaker fighter to parry till help arrives and use bows to weaken and kill enemies before melee

Gozma

Arcane
No other stats are half as important as endurance and strength, no char should ever sacrifice too much of either for anything else.

For most skills it's fine to have it only on one person, but eventually everyone should have religion and virtue to a pretty high level instead of just one religion guy.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
3 fighter/priest with high virtue to fight and pray. Maybe have 2 of them to pump perception and agility for checks.
1 Alchemist/talker to chat with alchemists. Int and Chr in the 30s is sufficient for talking and brewing.
Pause to drink unlimited number of essence of grace.
Win.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I had no regrets with playing a young party. Your stats increase so quickly and the local bands of thieves you initially run into inside the towns are so easy that I didn't feel challenged until trying to take on my first raubritter. The only challenge I really had was trying to increase virtue, as gold can leave your hand quickly after donating money to increase it and spending cash to hire trainers in town. That is one nice thing about the game: you really spend your cash throughout and are always considering your budget.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yeah Deuce Traveler, this game is very balanced in making you keep an eye out for when you donate or "donate" according to how much money you have on your party at the time so it is a good startegy to also change your coins for bank notes so you will have to donate less in case you get waylaid by that corrupt franciscan priest with his donation box or a traveling Bishop
I have tried going with younger parties but they have 3 problems, the religious problem you mentioned, where they can have too little virtue or religion to gain access to churches early on, the difference in healing by starting in the 30 or the 40 means upping your resting time by a third to regain health, and lastly alchemy and artiface which can be subsitiuted with buying the potions but that costs money too
Starting at 30 seems to be the best balance for me, it usually takes me arround 4 years to "finish" the gamean and that includes at least 10 raubritters, 5 evil lords, 2 mines and 2 dragons so I usually retire before getting the ageing effects

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Tips from :balance:

Josh Sawyer said:
*~ Darklands Starting Tips 'n Trickz ~*

Darklands Fan Site - http://www.darklands.net/

I won't focus on metagamey stuff like making 80 year-old alchemists for their sweet potion stashes and then ditching them at the Gasthaus in the first 5 minutes. I'll just focus on a "good" party and normal game flow.

Party Composition

Your party should probably consist of people between 30 and 40 years old (maybe 35-45 if you want to push certain skills). This produces a good range of skills without suffering excessive END and STR degradation. You will likely want two folks who are heavier fighters, then someone with a high Virtue(!!!)/Heal(!!!)/Religion ("cleric") and someone else with a high Alchemy/Speak Latin/Speak Common. If you want to make a thiefy- or rangery-type character, you can stack up one of your front-line dudes on Woodwise, Streetwise, Artifice, and related skills, but it isn't vital.

Virtue and Heal are skills that are relatively hard to raise and very important. Heal, specifically, only increases benefit in coarsely granular chunks. If your dudes only regain 1 STR a day, your Heal sucks and the game will be very hard. Get your Heal high enough to heal 2 STR a day, if not 3 (though that may only be possible with a 45 year-old character).

Stats

STR and END are important for EVERYONE. They are obviously most important for front line fighters, but practically speaking, everyone winds up in melee, so don't skimp on the STR/END for a gimmick mystic of affective piety build. STR and END should also be fairly close to each other. With armor on, END will typically get chewed up much more quickly than STR, but if max STR is significantly lower than END, guys will die instead of being knocked out (this is bad).

Equipment

Use gear that your characters are best at using! Check your weapon skills and equip accordingly. Early on, javelins can be a good thing for (especially) alchemist characters to use. It will raise your Throwing skill, which will become important on that distant day when you have more than two potion bottles rattling around in your pouches. Darklands has a learn-by-doing system that slows naturally with skill gain, so even characters who are horribly incompetent quickly become "okay" with a weapon if they stick with it. Early on, everyone/things' armor is terrible, so you can practically use whatever weapon you're skilled with that does good damage. You will eventually want characters who are good with hammers or polearms to deal with heavily armored enemies (e.g. Raubritters, Templars, Gargoyles). Dress everyone in the heaviest armor you can afford. Forget traditional class roles. Alchemists in NĂĽrnberg plate ASAP.

Doin' Thangs

What do you do in Darklands? Well, it's an open world, but extraordinarily punishing to the unwary. Here's the basics: First you get the thieves, then you get the Rep, then you get the missions. Stay in your opening town for a while. Every night, go to the "Gabled roofs of the crafts district". Keep going in and out of this area until you encounter thieves. Beat the hell out of them over and over and over again. As long as you don't do dumb things like try to break into businesses or skulk around the cathedrals, you shouldn't encounter the city watch (breaking curfew is bad). During the day, go back to the inn. Have your characters Regain Strength (this is why the Heal skill is very important) and have anyone who is not injured Earn Money. Every once in a while, sleep in the wooded area inside the city for a night or two to avoid having your rep drop by staying at the inn excessively long.

Sweet Medici Cash

When you have slaughtered enough thieves, your local Reputation will start creeping into the teens. This is good. Since you are unloading a shitload of gear from this endless army of thieves, you will be visiting merchants all the time. Whenever you go to the Markt, visit every merchant, even if you don't need to. Fuggers, Medici -- everyone. Eventually, when you leave a merchant's shop, you will get a business proposition. Accept it, whatever the hell it is. Remember to write things down. This game was made in 1992. These missions vary, but usually involve one of the following things: getting a Tarnhelm, getting an old book, or killing a Raubritter (robber knight). Sometimes, these missions will send you way, way, way across the Holy Roman Empire. Even if you can't do them immediately, keep them in a list to do later. Of the three, Raubritters are the most likely to be proximal to your current city. They are also, by far, the most immediately dangerous to undertake. When you get your first Raubritter mission, do not go on it immediately. You may try the others if the destination is not hundreds of miles away.

Raubritter Scams

So, when do you pursue your first Raubritter? Well, here's a good strategy. Once a city's merchants have told you to pursue a Raubritter, they will give you a location. Don't go there, but go to other cities near the Raubritter's castle. Do the same thief-killing, Rep-building activities in these cities that you did in your first city. Eventually, you will gain bounties on the same Raubritter from up to three cities. As these bounties can often be many Florins, this is extremely lucrative. By the time your characters are universally rolling with 25q+ gear, scale armor, two upgrades of weapons, and at least four Essence of Grace potions, you can probably safely pursue a Raubritter. I won't tell you how to defeat a Raubritter, as there are many ways, and it is enjoyable to figure them all out. When you defeat one, you will get some nice armor and weapons (usually), and can go back to all of your clients to collect sweet, sweet Florins.

Killing a Raubritter is a gateway to killing more Raubritter, which is also a gateway to exploring more of the world and completing those obnoxious early "get a Tarnhelm" quests that directed you from Ulm to Hamburg.

Where's the Story, Bru? - SPOILERS SECTION

When you decide that you want to follow "the story" in Darklands, there are a lot of places to begin. It all starts with visiting tiny villages. Do this until you find one that is full of Satanists . Defeat them and they will say something like, "We will have our revenge <direction> of <city_name> on <next_solstice_equinox_day>." Write this down this game was made in 1992. Did you already forget?! Go to that place at that time. There is no leeway, so don't think you can show up a day late and still check it out. If you do, you will have to repeat the earlier steps. When you get there at the right time, you will see a witches' sabbath . These own bones. "Deal with" them and you will be pointed toward the next steps (or receive a dream that does -- I can't remember . Just keep following the leads and you will go on a grand adventure.

Other Things to Remember

Your party leader always speaks for you, so set your high Speak Common or Speak Latin character as the party leader before chatting with people when that stuff matters (e.g. cathedrals, universities). Get as many saints as possible for your high Virtue character. These are super important, especially as the game goes on. If you have a second character with moderately high Virtue, there are plenty of low-Virtue saints you can call on. Just check the required Virtue before learning their mysteries. Virtue can be raised during the game, but very slowly compared to other skills. Write down where you find various alchemical ingredients or just use an online guide. Alchemy is really important in the long game. If you don't put effort into tracking down the ingredients, it's just a headache.

Comte

I just started playing Darklands for the first time. My first party was killed by a demon after I decided to knock over some stones in the woods. Here is my second fifth party. I decided to go with a young party. We started off living in the slums of Passau and then recently defeated our first robber knight after grinding killing thieves in the slums.

ibi72mjsDkJI5M.jpg

I thought I read somewhere that encumbrance is broken is this true?

Gozma

Arcane
Don't think so, IIRC there is a very visible difference in how often you swing in combat that depends on encumberance. Wield a dagger and compare how often you swing in berserk mode at no encumberance vs. the highest elvel.

(Unless you mean that "carrying a huge amount of shit in your inventory around doesn't affect encumberance" - it doesn't, only items you actually have equipped encumber you)

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Haven't touched this game since my sober years. Seems like I forgot the essentials.

1. I there a time limit for quests?
2. How many quests can be active at max? I vaguely remember it to be 4.
3. Can't find the damn hermit.

uibevhtovq.png

IIRC, hermits lived in cave-ish locations. The only cave south of Goslar is actually a mine. Or maybe my memory went full retard again, and instead of looking for locations, I should wander around the area, waiting for some sort of random event?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
1. Only the Sabbath "quests", I think.
2. Yes, that was my experience (or else I read it somewhere).

Ha ha! There is a saint called Herve.

Interplay_Herve_Caen_350.jpg

And he can sense evil. :lol:

Can't believe I didn't get one single brofist from that one.

Last edited:

Leitz

Learned
Can't believe I didn't get one single brofist from that one.

I've read through a lot of old threads and to my knowledge the inflationary use of brofists is a thing of the last two years. You're refering to humbler days.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I just got Darklands on GoG, I pretty much have no idea how this game works so I was wondering if there was any particular tips or strategies I should know about before I play. Any particular stats that are important/useless or can I just jump with whatever build(s) I want?

I'm surprised not one edge lord said, "Play another game." Perhaps the Codex really was more inclined in the past.

Comte

Ok, those hermits don't live in caves. Or maybe they do, but when death is near, they go to

glades, that look like small lakes on the map and are barely recognizable during snowy winter.

wuhyhwzryd.jpg

This game, I swear.

These area's are also used for the recovering Items quests.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Definitely one of the best rpgs ever released. Couldn't resist the urge to click this thread, the incline is too strong.

Essegi

Cipher
Running a game here too...
It's so full of incline that there's the risk to drown in that. More or less the best soldier of fortune simulator i've ever seen.
And it's also a bastard game....
Till now i've got 2 big failures:
a mine
got till the dwarf lord, couldn't beat it... I returned after a long time with plate armour, destroyed everithiing on path then went to heal, returned in the mine and i had no longer the option to enter on it.
And the sabbat
made barely on time, demon were so easy... Witch and cultists were hell though. After many tries i managed to beat them... Just to find a second wave!!!!
I had 2 full plate armour, 2 two handed swords and 2 great hammers but just a potion and the one with some saints was nearly ouf of divine favour and a guy was a bit wounded.
Damn, now i lose some virtue.
For some reason the first time i went to see the summoning the result was an automatic tpk
Now i can wreck almost any map encounter with ease having plates, raubritters are easy now, still Sabbat was hell, if i had some arrogance now it's broken. I must work on potions and virtue.

About weapons, in melee makes sense to use just 2 handed swords and great hammers like i am doing?
Military pick should be used?
Maybe faster weapons like shortswords plus strong edge are even better?
Halberds and flails?
There's some minimum quality required for hard encounters for plate and weapons?

Last edited:
Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
No gameplay related tips from me, but a technical one: as is true for a lot of DOS games, it's really worth tinkering with the sound to enjoy Darkland's music in full MT-32 glory.
I am assuming you're playing the GOG version:

First step: Set up a high quality Roland MT-32 emulator on your system, as explained by bro MMXI in this post.
If you'll do everything as described you will have beautiful Roland MT-32 music that makes the game's score a real pleasure to listen to.

Done? Note yet. Unfortunately the combat sounds will be fucked up. Not as fucked up as the random piano sounds some people experience with the GOG version, but the clash of swords will produce a strange echo and crossbow bolts will sound like laser rifles.
However, this can be easily solved. Go to your GOG Darklands directory, select the folder "Darkland", find the PSOUND.DLB, rename it to "PSOUND.DLB.old". Now find PSOUND.DB an rename it to PSOUND.DLB.

Enjoy beautiful background music and proper combat sounds.

Important: the second step might not work with a non-GOG version as GOG has already tinkered with the sound files and I assume the renaming works only as it should if you use their tinkered-with version.
For those of you using a non-GOG version here's the thread over at their forums where they explain what they did with the files, so maybe you can do that with your vanilla version too:
https://af.gog.com/forum/darklands/problems_with_sound?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Incantatar

Cipher
The MT-32 sound vs sblaster is a difference of night and day. Thanks for the tip! First time i play Darklands and i like this game. A shame that it got no mod love at all.

Incantatar

Cipher
So i took a quest to kill a Raubritter and killed him. On the way back to the city i gave money to a bishop like i do every 10 minutes and arriving in the city i'm now wanted and get arrested not only here but in other cities as well. Is this a bug or can killing a Raubritter make you a wanted criminal? Didn't happen the last four times i killed one.

Ok. the reputation tanked because i tried several times to sneak out of the city and failing at that gives -2rep.

Oh, and i really fucking love the setting of this game. I was actually preparing to run a P&P Lamentations of the Flame Princess sandbox campaign https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15980.phtml with a similar vibe. Real life late medieval and early modern low fantasy Europe. Darklands just feels more uplifting i guess. :D

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No gameplay related tips from me, but a technical one: as is true for a lot of DOS games, it's really worth tinkering with the sound to enjoy Darkland's music in full MT-32 glory.

First step: Set up a high quality Roland MT-32 emulator on your system, as explained by bro MMXI in this post.
If you'll do everything as described you will have beautiful Roland MT-32 music that makes the game's score a real pleasure to listen to.

Done? Note yet. Unfortunately the combat sounds will be fucked up. Not as fucked up as the random piano sounds some people experience with the GOG version, but the clash of swords will produce a strange echo and crossbow bolts will sound like laser rifles.
However, this can be easily solved. Go to your GOG Darklands directory, select the folder "Darkland", find the PSOUND.DLB, rename it to "PSOUND.DLB.old". Now find PSOUND.DB an rename it to PSOUND.DLB.

Important: the second step might not work with a non-GOG version as GOG has already tinkered with the sound files and I assume the renaming works only as it should if you use their tinkered-with version.
For those of you using a non-GOG version here's the thread over at their forums where they explain what they did with the files, so maybe you can do that with your vanilla version too:
I visited the linked post, but the link to the dlls on github had expired.

After some googling, I was able to install Roland MT-32 emulation in a much easier way:
The "Munt" program is available at sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/
Roland MT-32 ROMs are available here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/oqyaakegvoebgi4/Munt+ROMS.zip
I saw these links from this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lAIJ_rfpoU

1. You still have to set "midiconfig=1" in your GOG\Darklands dir.
2. The installation of Munt is through an installer wizard.
3. You need to extract the two ROMs from the zip, start Munt and point it to where you extracted the ROMs.

After that, just start Darklands and the music should be working.

In case those two links die, I've uploaded both Munt and the ROMs here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/w2ndni0vul83k0g/munt-2.2.0-amd64.exe
https://www.mediafire.com/file/wdiur4zqw4aycfv/Munt ROMS.zip

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

I visited the linked post, but the link to the dlls on github had expired.

After some googling, I was able to install Roland MT-32 emulation in a much easier way:
The "Munt" program is available at sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/
Roland MT-32 ROMs are available here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/oqyaakegvoebgi4/Munt+ROMS.zip
I saw these links from this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lAIJ_rfpoU

1. You still have to set "midiconfig=1" in your GOG\Darklands dir.
2. The installation of Munt is through an installer wizard.
3. You need to extract the two ROMs from the zip, start Munt and point it to where you extracted the ROMs.

After that, just start Darklands and the music should be working.

In case those two links die, I've uploaded both Munt and the ROMs here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/w2ndni0vul83k0g/munt-2.2.0-amd64.exe
https://www.mediafire.com/file/wdiur4zqw4aycfv/Munt ROMS.zip
Does this program also work with other PC games for Roland emulation? I remember the difference beign huge for stuff like Loom and Kings Quest V

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom