Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anybody willing to answer some Codex Lore questions?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Better eat your carrots and wear plateau boots, shorty.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
When did the Codex first come to realize that Sawyer hates fun? Was it due to his criticism of the 2nd edition AD&D character creation system?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
According to that thread, your tag should've read "5' 8" is optimal"

DU didn't pay attention :decline:

Both AO (he made the tag) and DU fucked up, yeah. It's alright, can't expect tallfags to not make mistakes! Poor things.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When did the Codex first come to realize that Sawyer hates fun? Was it due to his criticism of the 2nd edition AD&D character creation system?
That was part of it, but it was mostly his dislike for BG2's hard counter-dependent mage fights, and his refusal to award xp-per-kill.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Both AO (he made the tag) and DU fucked up, yeah. It's alright, can't expect tallfags to not make mistakes! Poor things.

They have to sit on the floor to see their computer screens well when sitting at desks made for us five-foot-eighters, which are almost all desks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I remember, early during PoE development, posting a message where I said that with all that Sawyer is advocating for, he clearly must hate fun. That thread was renamed to "Sawyer hates fun" or something after. It must have stuck.

Keep in mind it's entirely possible someone said something like this earlier and I remembered it sub-consciously.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Todd understands the value of xp per fight[/MEDIA]

And much more really. He his whole design paradigm is based on making lots of money with games that allow large amounts of freedom. Love him or hate him he is really good at what he does. I actually listened to a lot of his interviews and while there are many things I disagree with he is definitely not stupid and he knows what he is doing.

thesoup

Arcane
And much more really. He his whole design paradigm is based on making lots of money with games that allow large amounts of freedom. Love him or hate him he is really good at what he does. I actually listened to a lot of his interviews and while there are many things I disagree with he is definitely not stupid and he knows what he is doing.
Truly a visionary like Steve Jobs.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

What? TES is largely seen as the definitive RPG sandbox experience. The systems are bad and the combat isn't anything to write home about but there is a large degree of freedom. I wish Darklands would be at the top of this category in the public eye but hey, what can you do?

hivemind

freedom to do what exactly?

hitchhike across a shitty looking terrain and do some shallow quests which have no substance or any real effect on the world ?

tes games are the worst form of open world sandbox games imaginable

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Can we stop with this retarded hateboner? Every time one of Bethesda's post Morrowind games get mentioned a sizable chunk of people start going "Trololo, not a game, dem funny jokes, brofists plox". Its intellectually bankrupt to start ontological debates about something you don't like, the logic of " things I don't like are not "true" games" isn't exactly sound.

I didn't even say if TES is good or bad, I just said it was the staple of sandbox RPGs in the eyes of the majority of gamers. It was a factual point, just like if I would have said "Call of Duty is the franchise most associated with modern military shooters."

Historically, TES main line games have had a large degree of freedom in terms of world size and content progression in comparison to it peers (today less so because of the prevalence of open world games). I'd love to see the arguments about how they are actually linear.

But seriously, this circlejerky brofist harvesting attitude around certain games is one of the things I genuinely dislike about the RPG Codex. Oblivion was almost 10 years ago and fallout 3 8 years ago. I wish we would have gotten something better than Morrowind and Van Buren instead of what we got but we didn't. This stupid "Bethesda sucks bro, lets touch dicks bro" attitude is just as nonsensical as the people who think Skyrim is a 11/10, perfect flawless game and compare everything to it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Can we stop with this retarded hateboner? Every time one of Bethesda's post Morrowind games get mentioned a sizable chunk of people start going "Trololo, not a game, dem funny jokes, brofists plox". Its intellectually bankrupt to start ontological debates about something you don't like, the logic of " things I don't like are not "true" games" isn't exactly sound.

I didn't even say if TES is good or bad, I just said it was the staple of sandbox RPGs in the eyes of the majority of gamers. It was a factual point, just like if I would have said "Call of Duty is the franchise most associated with modern military shooters."

Historically, TES main line games have had a large degree of freedom in terms of world size and content progression in comparison to it peers (today less so because of the prevalence of open world games). I'd love to see the arguments about how they are actually linear.

But seriously, this circlejerky brofist harvesting attitude around certain games is one of the things I genuinely dislike about the RPG Codex. Oblivion was almost 10 years ago and fallout 3 8 years ago. I wish we would have gotten something better than Morrowind and Van Buren instead of what we got but we didn't. This stupid "Bethesda sucks bro, lets touch dicks bro" attitude is just as nonsensical as the people who think Skyrim is a 11/10, perfect flawless game and compare everything to it.
A fact of exactly zero use or concern in these parts, I'm afraid. If you lack for honest discussion of TES games, then you're not looking for it.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
A fact of exactly zero use or concern in these parts, I'm afraid. If you lack for honest discussion of TES games, then you're not looking for it.

Bethesda's games are just the easiest targets but this mentality extends far beyond that (I don't even think there is that much too discuss to individually about them, they are pretty straightforward in their execution and intent). From what I can tell, in the olden days VD was very much C&C or die in regards to pretty much every RPG (I noticed he was much more relaxed regarding D:OS even though it wasn't his thing so maybe people change with the decades).

Ninjerk

Arcane
Bethesda's games are just the easiest targets but this mentality extends far beyond that (I don't even think there is that much too discuss to individually about them, they are pretty straightforward in their execution and intent). From what I can tell, in the olden days VD was very much C&C or die in regards to pretty much every RPG (I noticed he was much more relaxed regarding D:OS even though it wasn't his thing so maybe people change with the decades).
Have you played his game? :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom