Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anybody willing to answer some Codex Lore questions?

Alex

Arcane
No, lies... I refuse to admit it. Why do you hate triangular floppy disks? Anti-trifloppist, I name you.

In 1884, meridian floppy personnel met in washington to change floppy sides. First words said that only three sides were needed, to match the faces of an icosahedron. So they applied 3 sides and ignored the other one. The icosahedron floppy is wrong and it proved wrong in the missing side. This is a major lie and so much evil feed from it, it's wrong. No computer on earth has belly button, it proves every believing floppy is a liar. Children will be blessed for killing of trinagular floppy drives who ignore four simultaneous sides to floppy disks.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
In 1884, meridian floppy personnel met in washington to change floppy sides. First words said that only three sides were needed, to match the faces of an icosahedron. So they applied 3 sides and ignored the other one. The icosahedron floppy is wrong and it proved wrong in the missing side. This is a major lie and so much evil feed from it, it's wrong. No computer on earth has belly button, it proves every believing floppy is a liar. Children will be blessed for killing of trinagular floppy drives who ignore four simultaneous sides to floppy disks.

Hmm I can't tell if this is insightful wisdom, confused anti-trifloppi hate mongering, or merely the ramblings of a madman.

Haters gonna hate:

floppy_disk_triangle_sticker-r0fc4cdc308af4f01ba9bde7a26516653_v9w05_8byvr_512.jpg

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
What would the point be of a triangular floppy? Theoretically disks should be circular because the actual magnetic piece inside is circular. The square is just heathen design principles of the 80's easier to mould. A triangle would have more weird left-over empty space though and hold less data because the disk would be smaller.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
What would the point be of a triangular floppy? Theoretically disks should be circular because the actual magnetic piece inside is circular. The square is just heathen design principles of the 80's easier to mould. A triangle would have more weird left-over empty space though and hold less data because the disk would be smaller.
But think of storing it stacked like pizza.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Pretty sure triangles could hold the most data..

I drew you a technical diagram:

2m66gcy.png

Fairfax

Arcane
What? TES is largely seen as the definitive RPG sandbox experience. The systems are bad and the combat isn't anything to write home about but there is a large degree of freedom. I wish Darklands would be at the top of this category in the public eye but hey, what can you do?
giphy.gif

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron

If you position floppy disks like this, you can see that they form triangles anyway. So you might as well make them triangular in the first place to save time. Besides, the 'corner space' might be used to smuggle things such as cocaine, and survivalists might use it to store small grains of gold in case the fiat currency collapses.

floppydisk_4.jpg

Incidentally, do you have data on what people search for on the Codex? Would be interesting to see (as long as you don't corrupt the data with your anti-trifloppi bias).

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
It's funny how these days I look at 16GB USB keys and think nah, too small, won't go lower than 32GB.

Then I remember the couple hundred ~1MB floppies that I used to own.

Tee-hee.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
It's funny how these days I look at 16GB USB keys and think nah, too small, won't go lower than 32GB.

Then I remember the couple hundred ~1MB floppies that I used to own.

In other words, the kids of today won't develop our mad archiving skills.

:decline:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's what I find funny when old people go all "woooow kids nowdays are so great with technology" when a little brat presses the youtube app and then presses the video thumbnail to watch his cartoon.

Nigga...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom