Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anything as good as Max Payne out there?

Ash

Arcane
If you're more into 3rd Person Action the latest Tomb Raiders are pretty good (I prefer the 2013 reboot to last year's RotTR but it's still a good game).

The new Tomb Raiders are shit Uncharted clones.

Soulcucker

Savant
Max Payne 1 is the peak of the non-cover third person shooter genre, just accept the decline. Stranglehold and Enter the Matrix are the closest games to the Max Payne series, nowhere as good but both are solid games. Some other third person shooters not listed in this thread that I remember enjoying: Headhunter (PS2/Dreamcast only), Dead to Rights, 007: Everything or Nothing, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, The Club, 50 Cent:Blood on the Sand (enjoyed ironically, but surprisingly it is polished popamole), and Freedom Fighters (worth looking up just for the soundtrack alone).

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
I remember playing "the suffering" a long time ago. I never finished it, due to crashes a bugs on my PC back then, and I remember that instaling the sequel would mess the 1st game's installation.

I don't remember much about the gameplay aspects other than it was a shooter, but at the time it had a Max Payne feel to it.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Max Payne 1 is the peak of the non-cover third person shooter genre, just accept the decline.
The "non-cover" part is kind of redundant there. Also, as good as MP1 was, it still had a number of shortcomings that were only fixed in the sequel.

Freedom Fighters
This was a pretty cool TPS and played really well on PC despite being a multiplatform game. The soundtrack is very good indeed.

One thing about MP1&2 was that they had a really sharp and precise control scheme, which was in some ways closer to an FPS than your typical TPS from that era. Something like Enter the Matrix plays like shit compared to them, and even though you can probably do all kinds of "cool" stuff in it, it falls woefully short of being even nearly as enjoyable. F.E.A.R. really is your best bet for John Woo-esque action, even if it's not a TPS.

Icymad

Novice
People are just dumping random third-person shooters.
So true, lmao.

The only game I've played that resembles MP1&2 quite a bit, is Stranglehold. Max Payne was inspired by John Woo's movies and mainly Hard Boiled (it had many references) so after Max Payne was a success someone thought, hey let's make an actual John Woo game, and they made this, which is basically Hard Boiled: The game. It's not as good as MP1&2 and it has more contained levels where a lot of enemies come at you, but it's a very good shooter nevertheless, with some awesome shootouts and a general gun-firing mayhem.

I remember researching this game back in the day and people would dismiss a faithful John Woo game adaptation with dumb statements such as "this game is a blatant Max Payne ripoff". Yeah right, hope the Gears of War fever was worth it (not that i hate GOW or tps in general). I played this game when Max Payne 3 was still fresh (thanks for the bad reception this game took) and was pleasantly surprised. And frankly, this game surpasses Max Payne in quite a few ways. Take the enviroment and move set for example - no more spamming bullet dodge, now you want to be creative with the enviroment (Max Payne 3 only used the enviromnent in set pieces, a shame).

Stranglehold is also more challanging than Max Payne 2 and 3, and waaaay more action packed than Max Payne 3, and the levels where quite good looking and varied(while Max Payne 3 took a tropical country as a setting and decided to use the shithole parts of said country as an inspiration, tough to be fair, neither Max Payne 1 and 2 levels where memorable to me).

Botton line Stranglehold is the only non Max Payne TPS (at least in this thread since Enter the Matrix looks like dogshit) the OP should try if he wants bullet time action. As for Max Payne 3, play it too, it's a solid game all things considered. Funny thing Remedy made another game with time manipulation (quantum break) but didn't use conventional gung fu tropes.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
What's with the perceived requirement that shit has to be bullet time? The OP said "what are good TPS that you think are as good as MP?". Bullet time a good TPS does not make.

Icymad

Novice
What's with the perceived requirement that shit has to be bullet time? The OP said "what are good TPS that you think are as good as MP?". Bullet time a good TPS does not make.
Maybe bullet time could have salvaged Enter the Matrix if Max Payne didn't exist, i dunno. It's surely is fun to dismiss a major feature like it is nothing.

"what are good TPS that you think are as good as MP?"
Binary Domain? I mean, it plays totally different than Max Payne in regards to shooting( "gunplay"?) and a dystopic futurist Japan setting that has nothing to do with John Woo Style police settings but it is a really fun TPS nonetheless.

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
It was heavily implied that the original poster wanted a game that had the same appeal as the Max Payne games, and Max Payne is pretty much known for its bullet time and/or shoot dodge John Woo antics. That's really a big part of the appeal of those games. Trying to treat it as a generic "Third person shooters as good as Max Payne" question is pointless since that's a very subjective question that doesn't really have any good answers, it depends a lot on what the poster personally enjoyed from Max Payne. Therefore, it's good to instead look at what did Max Payne offered that made it unique and approach the query from that angle instead.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Thanks for all the suggestions, will take some time to look through those i havent played.

As for what i like about Max Payne? Well atmosphere, storytelling, tight controls, feeling of loneliness and desperation, polished and fun gameplay, and of course bullet time.

Icymad

Novice
Turns out there is another Max Payne style TPS beside stranglehold and Enter the Matrix:

Since this one doesn't have a PC release i can see why it got no mentions until now. Maybe Vanquish could qualify as a Max Payne similar at least in regards to shooting. Too bad fear games doesn't have bullet dodge, could be nice in first person.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only game I've played that resembles MP1&2 quite a bit, is Stranglehold. Max Payne was inspired by John Woo's movies and mainly Hard Boiled (it had many references) so after Max Payne was a success someone thought, hey let's make an actual John Woo game, and they made this, which is basically Hard Boiled: The game. It's not as good as MP1&2 and it has more contained levels where a lot of enemies come at you, but it's a very good shooter nevertheless, with some awesome shootouts and a general gun-firing mayhem.

I loved this game, played through it twice. Especially the fancy indoors levels are nice. The best about it is that you can destroy almost everything, and after lengthy firefights the environment around you is completely blown apart.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
El Matador gameplay is a total Max Payne ripoff, obv not as good though. I think True Crime Streets of LA had bullet time dodging too. :M

Hoplopfheil

Literate
The Punisher (Cross platform, 2005) was briefly mentioned but deserves more attention.

It goes far beyond a simple Max Payne clone. It has basic shootdodge and third person shooting, but there's a lot more going on. It's a pretty serviceable shooter, but the added interrogation and human shield mechanics gives it flavor. In a way it's like the Reservoir Dogs game.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah Max Payne 2 was the peak of 3rd person shooter. As others have said Enter the Matrix was ok. Rune (multiplayer at least) and Jedi Knight games were also good for 3rd-person melee at least. Everything since has been pretty shit.

Oni looked cool as well, but I never played it.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Oni looked cool as well, but I never played it.
I played it a bit when it was released. It was more focused on hand-to-hand combat than shooting, but it certainly was enjoyable, although it had some pretty bland environments and that animu visual style (which probably was discreet enough to not turn most people away, even though you control a purple-haired woman). I don't think the gunplay was particularly good, but the kung fu stuff definitely worked.

Ash

Arcane
The Punisher (Cross platform, 2005) was briefly mentioned but deserves more attention.

It goes far beyond a simple Max Payne clone. It has basic shootdodge and third person shooting, but there's a lot more going on. It's a pretty serviceable shooter, but the added interrogation and human shield mechanics gives it flavor. In a way it's like the Reservoir Dogs game.

Indeed. People saying MP is the peak of non-decline TPS clearly aren't very well acquainted with the genre*, as even The Punisher provides arguably better gameplay. Story-wise MP is probably the best, but there are a number of TPS that hold their own that regard too and the Punisher is one of them.

*not that it's a monocled genre like cRPG, but it did used to hold its own like FPS before modern popamole took over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom