Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD - brand new screens

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Doesn't look too bad, although I'm concerned about the size. Some characters have a lot to say, and limiting the interface like that may not work. If the dialogue screen doubles in size it wouldn't really matter whether it's in the middle or at the bottom. Still, we'd consider your suggestion.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Here's another option.
Done very very hastedly, but you get the idea.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I like it. Thanks for the efforts, Ismaul. We'll play with the concept. Any comments from other folks on that idea?

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
About windowed mode - generally, it's not very hard to do that.
OTOH, it may cause a certain loss of perfomance (i.e. lower FPS), because you can't get hardware acceleration and doublebuffered video surface in windowed mode on Windows.

Thank you all for your suppport and ideas, we appreciate that!

keeks

Novice
The style in Ismaul's second picture looks pretty good. I would of course prefer portraits but I wouldn't mind this kind of dialogue interface at all.

Spazmo

Erudite
Flashback said:
About windowed mode - generally, it's not very hard to do that.
OTOH, it may cause a certain loss of perfomance (i.e. lower FPS), because you can't get hardware acceleration and doublebuffered video surface in windowed mode on Windows.

Perhaps, but it's not like AoD is going to be too taxing on computers anyways. As someone else suggested, at least include it as an unsupported option for people whose processors can handle the extra load.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I also prefer the circle option, although there's a limitation with it. Dialogues between two characters far from each other won't fit in the interface. In that case, I suggest focussing on the talking NPC.

Oh, and what about dialogues with more than two characters? will it happen in the game? It's pretty rare usually, there was some in Torment.

obediah

Erudite
I like the circle idea, I assume that since the original blocked so much of the screen that you don't need to worry about seeing stuff happen during a conversation.

Spazmo

Erudite
I can't wait to see how AoD turns out, if only to see how what seems to be a totally different method of development works. I can't think of any other game that's gotten so much feedback and suggestions from its likely customer- (and hey, fan-) base and it'll be interesting to see how it all ends up.

Also I just want to play a fsckitating RPG.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
As I saw from previous posts, it looks like windowed mode is important for many people. I'll add it to my tasks list then. And, as not everyone can rely on raw CPU power, I'll have to add some optimizations for software mode too. Though, fullscreen mode will remain faster.

I won't also forget about interface design, called "Ismaul's circle". :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ismaul said:
I also prefer the circle option, although there's a limitation with it. Dialogues between two characters far from each other won't fit in the interface. In that case, I suggest focussing on the talking NPC.
We'll play with it and post the screens

Oh, and what about dialogues with more than two characters? will it happen in the game? It's pretty rare usually, there was some in Torment
Nope. It worked well in PST because of the party members. We don't have any.

Spazmo said:
I can't wait to see how AoD turns out, if only to see how whaht seems to be a totally different method of development works. I can't think of any other game that's gotten so much feedback and suggestions from its likely customer- (and hey, fan-) base and it'll be interesting to see how it all ends up.
Yep. There were tons of suggestions, both public and private, so thanks for that. We always pay attention to everything people have to say.

Vault Dweller

Developer
In regard to the dialogue sequence we've shown, I got a few pms and emails with questions that could be summarized as "are all dialogues like that?".

The answer is yes, all dialogues are that "complex" (although I wouldn't call them that) and skill-based. However, keep in mind that only 4 skills were used in that sequence: etiquette, persuasion, trading, stealing. So, if you have a character that specializes in swords, dodge, critical strike, etc or lore, alchemy, crafting, etc, such a character will get only one "I can't handle it, can you help me" option, and that's assuming that he's a member of the Guild. Needless to say though, different characters will have different options available to them, and asking the Thieves Guild to help you deal with the kidnapping is only 1 option out of 5.

Lancaster

Novice
The dialog looks good. How many skills are in the game? Is there a site or at least some info available?

Fez

Erudite
No site as of yet, VD's promised one shall appear in due time. If you look around this sub-forum you'll find some links to screen shots of the game, one of which shows the player character sheet (skills, reputations, etc.). Have a look around for VD's posts, they contain quite a lot of information about the game. That should tide you over until the offical site goes up.

Lancaster

Novice
Thanks again, Fez. I have a question for the developers: I see some Fallout influences, are there any tag skills, perks, or traits? Also, how do professions fit in?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lancaster said:
The dialog looks good. How many skills are in the game? Is there a site or at least some info available?
15 general skills and 8 combat skills or specializations (swords, axes, hammers, etc). The site is coming soon-ish, but like Fez said, there is a lot of info about the game here. If you want to know something specific, just ask.

I have a question for the developers: I see some Fallout influences, are there any tag skills, perks, or traits?
There are no tagged skills, as I prefer to have equal skills. Perks were planned but were replaced later by many different things (skill bonuses, combat moves, upgrade techniques, etc - for example, in Fallout you can get "bonus rate of fire" -1AP perk easily, in AoD you'd have to work harder for that. That's the idea). No traits.

Also, how do professions fit in?
They are backgrounds, not classes. Professions don't restrict character development in any way, but simply define your standing within the society. For example, if you start as a thief, you'd have negative reaction modifier with guards (means they are less likely to deal with you) and positive modifiers with the shady elements AND contacts with the Thieves Guild which are hard to obtain otherwise. Walking into the Guild and asking them to sign you up aint gonna work and most likely will get your ass in trouble.

Alternatively, you could start as a knight (praetorian) working for one of the Noble Houses, and your life would be easier in many ways. We have 6 professions: assassin, mercenary, knight, loremaster, thief, and a con artist.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Glad you like it. My thanks to Ismaul.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom