Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD Char System & Concept Art

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Spazmo said:
By adding a 2 to Half Life?

No, by first suggesting Full Life, then Half Death, then Gamma Ray, then Xen-tastic, then Gordan Freeman does City 17, then Half Life: the Next Encounter, then Half Life II, the Half Life: Shadow of Black Mesa, then Half Life: Again, before finally settlling on Half Life 2.

See how that works?

Human Shield said:
Ruina-Ex (out of the ruins). Straight-forward and is latin for "Fallout" :D .

Ruina-Ex actually ain't too shabby. Though for some reason my first impression of that is a bunch bug-eyed teenagers piloting mechas. Then again I think I tend to see connections where they probably don't exist. Out of the Ruins doesn't give that impression, though, and it's not all that hackneyed either.

Stark

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Well, if the central theme is the decay of a once great empire, that ought to be in the title. .

so... let's call it "Decay of a Once Great Empire", or DOGE in short. In time people will fondly call it Doggie....

Seriously, a simple name based on the geographical area where the game is based on, is good enough. Those Latin names are hard to pronounce and when two person want to discuss it (verbally), they may end up stumbling over the name and look embarassed.

Lady Armageddona

Liturgist
Whoever has a problem with the Temple game/s should go and have a lobotomy, the threat is on me.

Anyway Shadow of the Empire or shadow of the God or something else in this direction looks fine.

Ruina-Ex also sounds nice, though it reminds me of 2 shitty games with an Ex in the title.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fez said:
VD must thank the heavens every day that he has awesome people like us to tell him how to make the game right. It must make it all so simple and easy with us to guide him.
What can I say? Looks like I was born under a lucky star.

Human Shield said:
Also I like "Day of" better then "Age of", did the empire fall suddenly in big event or fade away?
It fell after the war. The Empire won the war, but the price was too high - too much was destroyed and too many people were dead.

wesleyclark

Augur
I'm really looking forward to your game. Right now, I'd say I'd definitely pay for it.

I thought it was great to hear it was inspired by the Black Company series. I loved the books when I was younger (still re-read them occasionally) and always wanted to see a game of it.

Good luck.

Linedog

Novice
Jezuz! I am really looking forward to this game. Don't care what you call it. Although Shaddows of Night sounds nice to me and ties in with the Glen Cook theme.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Human Shield said:
How about:"Fuck you, game industry!"
I kinda like this one. It summarizes my sentiments very nicely :lol:

wesleyclark said:
I'm really looking forward to your game. Right now, I'd say I'd definitely pay for it.
Linedog said:
Jezuz! I am really looking forward to this game. Don't care what you call it
Thanks, fellas. Appreciate the support and all that. We'll post a trading screen soon to show some items, and then a series of dialogue screens to give you a better idea of the writing and the storyline.

Fez

Erudite
Just wait until EA buy you out. They don't like competition. Or uppity developers with ideas.

Vault Dweller

Developer
We already have a locations guy and a characters & items guy. There isn't much that's left to be done, really. Had you asked me 3-4 months ago I would have gladly considered you. Out of curiosity though, can you post a sample of your work?

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I just took another look at the character sheet and I noticed that there's an available skill points pool but no level given. How do you gain skill points then? I assume it's different from Fallout.

Vault Dweller

Developer
There are no levels, you get Skill Points for defeating your enemies, solving quests, and progressing the main quest. Different solutions to quests may get you different amounts of SP. High INT gives you bonus SP though - that represents your ability to learn more from any given situation. So, for every 10 points you get some extra points depending on how high your INT is: 1 point at 7 INT, 2 at 8, etc.

HPs are static, ranging from 25 to 50.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
VD, I'd like to know if your primary stats (str, agi, int, etc) share skill points with the skills, or if it's even possible at all to pump up your primary stats. I loathe Arcanum's use of skill points.

Vault Dweller

Developer
No, stats can't be increased. Not by skill points, not by magic, not by items. Each stat is important and influences the gameplay a lot, and even for a fighter there are good reasons to consider PER, INT, and CHA.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oh, good. I was worried it'd be imbalanced there, because players who conserved points to pump them into stats would almost undoubtedly come out on top, like in Arcanum.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Wait, did you loathe the entire system, or just the fact you could increase your starting stats? I always thought the best model was something static as a base, such as SPECIAL...only more rigid. But then have lots of choice upon how to build up your character. Arcanum wasn't static, but it did give you a ton of ways to customize your PC.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I loathed Arcanum's character development system. All of it. It was complete shite.
If I say I liked it, will I get chased by burly men with flaming sticks?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom