Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD Char System & Concept Art

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Like Volourn, I think I prefer stats from top to bottom, but maybe that's just from habit.

I already said that in another thread, but you really need more shadows. Gives a better ambiance/style to the game. I photoshopped your screenshot so you can see a bit what I'm talking about. It's done hastily so it's far from perfect. I also toyed a bit with the skills organisation, and added a slight shading effect to the axe to see how it would come out.

I believe it works well for the bottom interface (whatever you call it), but needs more work for the actual character sheet. If you like the idea, I'd suggest using it on the other similar interfaces (dialogue comes to mind). Hope it helps. Comment as you wish.

Oh, and I think I like Fez's verision of the HP-AP graphics more than the circles.

charsystemmod0ny.jpg

Fez

Erudite
Oh yeah, no fake dialogue options, please. I mean the sort where you get two or three options which all have the exact same response and results. It's really shitty to find out that the choices were a sham in a game.

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Body count? LOL
Assuming this refers to kills, it seems a bit pointless/meaningless when measuring it up to the other "general reputation" stats. I did like the "Ego" page in ToEE which has even more of these kind of statistics like most consecutive misses, most damage and so on but such a page seems way over the top for this game.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Combat is non-lethal. If you want someone dead you must finish your opponent off after you've defeated him (think Gothic). So, body count shows not the number of victories, but actual kills. There are NPCs and faction who'd be interested in such statistics

Vault Dweller

Developer
Skill points. There are no levels to tie the bonus to, so for every 10 points you earn, you get a few extra points if your Intelligence is high enough. I believe it's 1 point at 8 INT, 2 points at 9, and 3 points at 10.

Mulciber

Novice
Have you considered breaking the screen up into 2 or three tabs on the left-hand side and leaving the right-hand side open to display graphics having to do with whichever skill you are focused on? I really like the concept art, and this would be a good place to sowrk some of it into the game directly.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Nope, we haven't. I don't like tabs and prefer to have all the info on one screen. We can probably fit something in and display something though. Overall, I like the concept art we have myself and we intend to show it in the journal. For example, you'd have sketches of locations and characters you've met plus some notes that would grow as (and if) your knowledge of the locations and characters grow, etc.

Jora

Arcane
Just noticed that there's no sperate climbing skill and yet it's said in the message window that you can attempt to climb a wall.

What's the reason for this? Isn't the lack of skills like this what you have criticized Oblivion for? Haven't you also said that you prefer to determine the success of an action through skills rather than directly through attributes such as dexterity?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Jora said:
Just noticed that there's no sperate climbing skill and yet it's said in the message window that you can attempt to climb a wall.
Attempt is the key word. There is a Dex check attached to that attempt. Similarly, there is no doorbashing skill, but you can do it if you STR is high enough.

What's the reason for this? Isn't the lack of skills like this what you have criticized Oblivion for?
I don't think that AoD lacks skills, even Kathode agreed with that: "...I was going to rib you because we have more attributes and skills, but then I saw you're doing subskills too. Curses!"

Anyway, climbing plays a large role in a game like DF/MW/OB, but it plays a very minor role in AoD, not enough to justify a skill to spend points on and try to become better at. Alternatively, dialogue trees aint TES thing, so I've never complained about the lack of them.

Haven't you also said that you prefer to determine the success of an action through skills rather than directly through attributes such as dexterity?
Depends on an action and how often it's used.

DenialofSelf

Novice
I just wanted to note that the faction Boatmen of Styx made my dick hard

Same with the reputation aspect of "Word of Honor" that's hot shit

How do subskills work?

Jora

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Anyway, climbing plays a large role in a game like DF/MW/OB, but it plays a very minor role in AoD, not enough to justify a skill to spend points on and try to become better at. Alternatively, dialogue trees aint TES thing, so I've never complained about the lack of them.
Makes sense. I just love playing climbers, though, so I hopefully there'll be a satisfying number of situations where that almost-a-skill can be used.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, there are walls to climb over & windows to reach, so you'd be able to have some climbing fun.

DenialofSelf

Novice
I don't think that AoD lacks skills, even Kathode agreed with that: "...I was going to rib you because we have more attributes and skills, but then I saw you're doing subskills too. Curses!"

That is the first mention of it i've stumbled upon, so i was wondering what he meant by that. Are they visible on the above screenshot? Or something else entirely ie. Crafting- with subskills Blacksmithing, Carpentry, Leatherworking etc

Vault Dweller

Developer
DenialofSelf said:

That is the first mention of it i've stumbled upon, so i was wondering what he meant by that. Are they visible on the above screenshot? Or something else entirely ie. Crafting- with subskills Blacksmithing, Carpentry, Leatherworking etc
I see what you mean now. No, there are no such things. He meant combat subskills: dagger, sword, axe, etc.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Major_Blackhart said:
Just live up to the hype.
Well, that shouldn't be a problem, as I've never promised anything, but described what we'd already implemented.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom