Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AOD Combat Demo Impressions

relootz

Scholar
ghostdog said:
Talking to the arena master randomly crashes the game.

More like 75% crashes. It's fucking awful VD, you have to fix this.

Joghurt

Augur
I've found the fix for the arena master crash thing. Do not stand close to Arena Master. Stand at least 2 tiles away and the game won't crash !!!

relootz

Scholar
Joghurt said:
I've found the fix for the arena master crash thing. Do not stand close to Arena Master. Stand at least 2 tiles away and the game won't crash !!!

Holy shit. This worked! Thanks man. :lol:

denizsi

Arcane
I just entangled the the guy after Papa Yoach, who made it through "the tip", but he was able to hit me twice just the same immediately after.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I've posted the technical issues / bugs on the ITS forum.

I find the camera controls less than satisfying. Camera rotation will be among the most frequently used commands while playing this game and it is appropriate that it be bound to a single key for each direction. Combinations like CTRL + mouse are fine for less frequent operations (I'm also not a fan of a 'locked mouse wheel' used for this, I prefer a single key / button = single operation approach, and mouse wheel is fine for zooming). Apart from this, the view is good.

I love the character and skill system. Combat system is great as well and combat is very enjoyable. It stroke the right balance regarding the challenge. The opponents are quite dangerous, and fights against multiple opponents are really difficult, but not impossible. This might be as tactical as it gets when a single character is controlled.

EDIT: Why aren't multiple critical hits to body parts cumulative (i.e. why doesn't an additional hit to the legs slow down an opponent who is already slowed down)? Also, what determines how long the effect (like knockdown, or slowdown) lasts?

I liked the writing.

When I started the demo, I proceeded to kill the random people on the street (why don't they fight back?). I was pleasantly surprised when the punitive expedition came for me after I finally got to talking with the arena master. It was a nice touch.

Hory

Erudite
Joghurt said:
[Intelligence] So you can't role-play a close-talker in AoD?

denizsi

Arcane
f97fca6560.jpg

relootz

Scholar
And after those 3 asholes there a guy with a trident who you have to circle round to get in his back.

:rage:

denizsi

Arcane
In case you didn't get it, what happened there is I attacked the enemy and the damage was dealt on me and I knocked myself out.

Right now, I'm inflicting damage on myself by critically hitting the combatants.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
denizsi said:
In case you didn't get it, what happened there is I attacked the enemy and the damage was dealt on me and I knocked myself out.

Right now, I'm inflicting damage on myself by critically hitting the combatants.

I had the same. The enemies were actually also damaging themselves when attacking me. Reloading helped it, though.

I also had a save corruption once.

denizsi

Arcane
By the way, why is AOD.exe trying to connect to internet?

More suggestions: a "hit any key to continue" thing is in order for loading screen. I'd like to read the text but it loads too fast. Likewise with dying. The game fades to the painting with caption too fast to read the flavour text in message box.

Double click on saved games to save/load.

denizsi

Arcane
So far, 93.158.111.10:80 and 93.158.111.18:80

This is leftover stuff from the incomplete multiplayer arena combat from the full build which you intend to get working in the released game to resolve issues of manliness on internet, right? I can already imagine that we replace post count with body count based on multiplayer kills with fellow Codexians!

denizsi

Arcane
How weird. Have already blocked.

Audibility of sounds effects depend on distance between the source and the camera, not the player character, which is bad I think. You need to fight zoomed in all the way to hear sound effects.

Also, an option to adjust font size for NPC chatter could also be nice, or if not a custom option, then an auto-adjustment. They look too small to even notice in highest resolutions.

denizsi

Arcane
In addition to WASD for camera movement and QE for rotation rotating, using numbers for weapon slot context menu (1: fast attack, 2: normal attack etc.) would also improve usability a lot.

denizsi

Arcane
Whenever I start fighting the barbari, I'm given 10 skill points. That isn't normal, is it?

edit: or maybe it isn't, but getting the title Gladiator after you start a fight and before you end one is weird.

Wow, the fights are super easy with spear + dodge.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
ghostdog said:
Talking to the arena master randomly crashes the game.
Possibility of ditching conversations from AoD all together? :lol:

denizsi

Arcane
relootz said:
And after those 3 asholes there a guy with a trident who you have to circle round to get in his back.

That fight literally took me ~10 seconds. His iron trident vs. my steel trident. He didn't even get a chance. :cool:

Nick said:
(1: fast attack, 2: normal attack etc.) would also improve usability a lot.

'F', 'N', 'P' keys are worse?[/quote]

Not necessarily bad, just not optimal. Not to me at least. Why not have both?

relootz

Scholar
Now my savegame is corrupt. It stays on the loadscreen even after the loading bar is full.

Melcar

Arcane
relootz said:
Now my savegame is corrupt. It stays on the loadscreen even after the loading bar is full.

I've experienced that several times. I got like 10 save slots now to try to avoid that.

denizsi

Arcane
Does it matter from what direction you attack an NPC with a shield?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom