Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AOD Combat Demo Impressions

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
No, the chances are same. This is discussable mechanics, though, can be easily changed.

juggernaut

Educated
Long time lurker blah blah.

Unlimited money exploit:
Buying arrows in quantities less than 10 (by selecting the number in the dialog box and typing 1-9) costs only 1g. Doing this a few times until you have 90 of each type of arrow then selling them back to the vendor = profit.

Very cool christmas present VD! Most successful character so far has been a bow/critical strike build, the butcher stopped him cold though. Up to that point I had been tanking the AoO with high armour then shooting them in the face, but the butcher chews me up pretty quick in a close fight. Figured I could kite him with light armour+fast bow, then he pulled out his throwing axes and skewered me for 13 hp each :?

Heechee

Liturgist
No, the chances are same. This is discussable mechanics, though, can be easily changed.

This might counterbalance immense advantage a high level blocker has against pretty much everything except axes (and shield splitting could be toned down, right now carrying 4 shields is not enough against single axeman).

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Why would any sane person carry 4 shields?
Also, how would that person equip another shield during combat?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ok, this is getting beyond annoying:

I can't properly use the fucking two-handed spears, because moving in combat provokes a bug that makes the game freeze. I step back 2 steps, my turn ends, and it looks like the enemy's turn 'forgets' to start:

n2o0ow.jpg

The hourglass mouse pointer is there, I don't have any moving grid, but the enemy doesn't move either. I can hit esc and access the main menu, I can wave the pointer around, music keeps playing, the characters are still animating but nothing can be done except reloading. Hitting end turn or somesuch doesn't do anything.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Oddly enough beat the trident guy flawlessly(2h axe build), just approached him and disarmed him by hitting aimed at hands, he would then re-equip the trident on his turn and do nothing(neither moving, nor attackingm no ap left after equiping?) so he took three hits like this and went down :/

Otherwise same reported conversation crash, now going to fiddle around some more and post more impreshunz :>

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Darth Roxor said:

I can't properly use the fucking two-handed spears, because moving in combat provokes a bug that makes the game freeze. I step back 2 steps, my turn ends, and it looks like the enemy's turn 'forgets' to start:

The hourglass mouse pointer is there, I don't have any moving grid, but the enemy doesn't move either. I can hit esc and access the main menu, I can wave the pointer around, music keeps playing, the characters are still animating but nothing can be done except reloading. Hitting end turn or somesuch doesn't do anything.

Can you upload the console log? Thanks!

Fezzik

Cipher
Darth Roxor said:

Same thing happened to me when using either a crossbow, a bow, or a dagger, so it seems it's a more general problem than for spears alone.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I played a dagger guy all to the end, no crashes. I didnt change anything on settings, always named a savegame and only interacted with arenamaster (from 2 tiles away) and the shopguy. Oh and only saved before talking to arenamaster.

denizsi

Arcane
Fezzik said:
Darth Roxor said:
Same thing happened to me when using either a crossbow, a bow, or a dagger, so it seems it's a more general problem than for spears alone

That happens to me when I click during an animation, eg. my char doing something or the enemy doing something.

Shouldn't you be able to equip a shield even with two handed spears? Compared to the real spearmen, spears seem to be underpowered and overpowered in seemingly wrong ways in AoD. Short spear is obviously a substitute for every other close quarter weapon at a range of 1 square, which is undermining spear's value I think. Spear is just a different weapon and range of 1 square for short spears negates and range of 2 squares for long spears defeats the whole "keep them at bay" function and since the game has a square grid (ie. one out of every two squares is a free pass through long spear's range due to diagonal movement), you seem to get fucked more often than most other builds once a character can bypass that range.

At the very least, you could make long spear's attack range both 1 and 2 squares (or even 2 and 3 but not 1): some damage and/or to hit penalties without a shield at square 1, with little less damage and/or to hit penalties with a shield at square 2, and the default as it currently is without a shield at square 2.

Heechee

Liturgist
Why would any sane person carry 4 shields?
Also, how would that person equip another shield during combat?

Because axemen split your shield on every second or third hit? And equipping a new one is just a matter of few APs, 4 if I remember correctly. Nonsense IRL of course.

Tails

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:

I had the same situation, but in my case it was after crippling opponents leg and retreating.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Someone please answer my questions.
Or have they already been answered at ITS forums?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Dicksmoker said:
And a few questions as well:

-You tweaked a few things for the demo. How many combat situations are new/different as opposed to the actual game?
All demo content has been created for the demo. The characters are in the game but most won't be fighting you in the arena.

-Do you get the same experience for those kills or is it less?
A lot less.

-Are the arena master's offers at the end for joining either of those houses what really happens in the game? What if you already had prior assocaition with either of those houses? Likewise, are the guards coming to your inn room something that will happen, and if so, is it possible to avoid them?
You'll get an offer if you become an arena champion, but it will be done in a different way. You will have plenty of issues with the guards if you make certain choices, that's for sure.

-Is it possible to "cheat" or otherwise interact with some of the arena opponents in the final game, or are they basically non-existent in the "world" until you fight them?
Impossible.

-Is the PC dialogue with the arena master the same as in the original game, or has it been modified/cut-out?
Modified.

Big Nose George

Educated
Ha, my 10 str, 10 con, 160 hammer, 45 crit dude is a dead end build. Cant win against 2 ordus guys despite having 50 skillpoints free and 1200 gold.

Game sluggish as fuck. At least implement hardware cursor so at least that will be fast.

Arenamaster talking crash.

1 corrupt savegame.

1 bsod while fiddling with d3d and opengl.

3 times the hitting yourself bug.

Combat is meh but its a 1 dude combat, nothing of greatness to expect.

Character sheet makes me horny.

Clearly a true Troika successor!
In before a 250k units sold indie hit àla GalCiv1 and VD ranting about how he is too old for this shit.

Anybody else had this odd graphical glitch on chargen screen?

aod-1.jpg

Only option I changed is disable full screen. I also got the stupid "DOS loaded into upper memory block" message when the demo launches.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Hobbit Lord of Mordor said:
I also got the stupid "DOS loaded into upper memory block" message when the demo launches.
I think you won't get this message if you will run the game with DosBox instead of trying to start it in Dos. But if you're so hardcore you must play it this way (or your PC is too old to install any newer OS), read Microsoft's instructions how to get some more conventional memory.

Nickless

Educated
Had the graphical problem below when I was running at 32 bit on integrated graphics. It switched from normal to white screen at random. I switched to 16 bit and it was fine
screenshot_234-00001.jpg

After I fight the Thracian I always get the same graphical glitch below. I need to fight a few opponents, switch to 32 bit, then switch back to 16 bit, and even then it sometimes doesn't solve the problem. I then need to restart the game, and repeat the above.
screenshot_235-00002.jpg

screenshot_235-00001.jpg

Additionally I suffer from crashes on some save games. It doesn't matter if I save away from the Arena master or not as far as I can tell.

denizsi

Arcane
Hobbit Lord of Mordor said:

VD said:
Ah, that "glitch". Yes, sorry about that. For those of you with "new" systems (new being anything more recent than a Pentium 4, I think), we wanted to add some sort of "easter egg" where your game screen would be completely screwed up the first time you ran the game, along with an error message telling you to downgrade because your system hardware could not be recognized. Hopefully, most of you guys would recognize that this was a joke. As you can tell, we have implemented the whacky screen but due to having to deal with too many stuff to make an xmas release, we completely forgot about the error message and to make that come up only once. We will release a new build shortly with many fixes including that one but I'm afraid you'll need to download the whole thing over.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 23.15.html
^I made that up
I also got the stupid "DOS loaded into upper memory block" message when the demo launches.

Reading this post and having a laugh is the definition of being old now. Or at least old enough.

denizsi

Arcane
I just fought and killed the arena champion and it was a brain-dead fight. It looks like AI needs some major revamp. Even if the AI only stopped attempting and failing to do the same thing over and over, it could be a major progress.

I kept shooting Dellar from half way across the arena with piercing arrows. Because of the distance, he immediately switched to his MG42 of a crossbow, but could only hit me once. Then I kept disarming him first and normal-shooting him every turn, and every turn, he kept equipping the crossbow back, without being able to fire it at all. He died like a moron. Even a mindlessly charging drone would give a better challenge.

edit:

You can cope out of dialogue by accessing inventory or character screen via shortcut keys.

Depending on your final choice, dialogue options #2 or #3 will be absent from the dialogue but dialogue line numbers aren't rearranged after that, ie. you have options #1, #2, #4, #5 in one case and #1, #3, #4, #5 in the other. I hope that's only because this is a demo as seeing "missing" options can lead players to think all kinds of things, good and bad.

But the real issue is that you can press the keyboard number for the seemingly missing dialogue option and still get that line the same.

relootz

Scholar
pff i just cannot defeat those barbarians. they are insanely hard, even when i kill the leader i can hardly hit those wankers with the shield.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom