Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD combat screens - updated

peak

Scholar
Looks fine to me.

A question: Is that the official new GUI implemented in the game or put on after the shot was taken?

sheek

Arbiter
Moving diagonally costs 2 AP? What do the red/orange squares represent? Range you can move/squares you might be able to move into (since you'd be 1/2 the APs short for that final step, 50% chance you can do it?) Or the range of your crossbow bolt? (would seem a bit short)

Why don't you use hexes?

How is ranged To hit chance calculated? Is it modified by armor (like Fallout and D&D)? 10% seems like a pretty shitty skill level.

Isn't there a screen missing between #2 and #3 (where the thief-type dies?)

How are we meant to judge? Why don't you make a video with fraps?

John Yossarian

Magister
You got noobed by the archer guy?
Look nice to me, and Elhoim's interface are a big improvement IMO. Is there any way to fix the stretched look of the high terrain textures? Damn thing is making my eyes water.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
First feeling: Fallout's combat in 3D. So it's ok. Or uber-cool. Dunno.
Still interested in seeing it in action.

Textures on huge blocks are too low-res. The ones on the grond and characters are great. Haven't expected such quality.

What is those numbers in bottom left corner of weapon-box (1 for sword and hammer, 10 for crossbow)?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It looks far better to me than expected.

You're such a sellout.

Oh, will it have a walking animation? I am not buying a game ever again without a walking animation. Avernum, I hate you.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
sheek said:
Moving diagonally costs 2 AP?
I think so (it's been changed quite a few times, don't recall what we ended up with).

What do the red/orange squares represent?
Red - weapon range, orange - out of range, blue - movement range.

Or the range of your crossbow bolt? (would seem a bit short)
It's a one-handed, clumsy weapon. Works great at close range, not as good at longer ranges.

Why don't you use hexes?
It's a long story.

How is ranged To hit chance calculated? Is it modified by armor (like Fallout and D&D)? 10% seems like a pretty shitty skill level.
It's not modified by armor. Again, it's a one handed crossbow - it has a to hit penalty. Second, look at the weapon box, it's an aimed shot for the head. That's why it's only 10%.

Isn't there a screen missing between #2 and #3 (where the thief-type dies?)
Yes.

How are we meant to judge?
No idea.

Why don't you make a video with fraps?
By the end of the week, most likely.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ander Vinz said:
What is those numbers in bottom left corner of weapon-box (1 for sword and hammer, 10 for crossbow)?
Range.

Jasede said:
Oh, will it have a walking animation?
Of course. We have a shitload of animations. Different attacks (fast, normal, power, special) use different animations. We have walking, running, and even idle, scratching your ass animations.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Vault Dweller said:
sheek said:
Moving diagonally costs 2 AP?
I think so (it's been changed quite a few times, don't recall what we ended up with).

Lol, wut.

Also, I'd very much like to see it in motion myself.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looking cool. I was a bit put off by the strange "holes" in the ground texture, but now I believe those are shrubs. I hope thatll be more obvious when I see it for real.

Anyway, where's my sad ending? The hero is virtually invulnerable. The assassin's down, the guard looks like it's following suit and the ranger doesn't do a whole lot of damage.

Vault Dweller said:
Why don't you use hexes?
It's a long story.
Have you considered a developer blog? It's all the rage these days.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Why don't you use hexes?
It's a long story.
Yeah, I remember trying to champion your radius-based engine about a year ago. I would cry about it, but since I didn't actually ... you know ... put any effort into the game, I'll just mourn quietly.

I agree about the stretched textures, especially in one of the shots it's pretty disturbing. Other than that, they look pretty good, and I like the range overlays to help quickly convey all the necessary info. Very nice.

One question: If multiple folks get killed while standing in the same square, is there some way to loot each of their bodies? I'm having that problem in my latest F2 playthrough, where I'm purposely moving around so that people die 1-per-hex so I can search them all.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Claw said:
The hero is virtually invulnerable.
Flashback put uberly crafted armor on him, so it absorbs most attacks. He was afraid that his character won't live long enough for him to make the video.

AnalogKid said:
If multiple folks get killed while standing in the same square, is there some way to loot each of their bodies?
You don't loot bodies manually:
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19137

John Yossarian

Magister
Im pretty sure this is a stupid question but what's the difference between the orange squares and tiles with no squares (i.e. aren't they both out of range?).

Gwendo

Augur
It has no relevance, but why is the movement grid hovering the ground (so that everything lower than it becomes hued, like the soldiers' feet and the dead guy on the ground)?

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If the assassin hit you for zero points, why don't you make it say you were hit for "no damage", like in Fallout?

sqeecoo

Arcane
Looks nice, although the ground (and the shrubs) looks like shit, and I don't like the fact that the heavily armored PC does not have gloves. I would also consider changing the color of the attack range to green or something less "colorful" and warning-like. The PC's hammer-head could look less shiny. The general interface looks great and clear, although I wouldn't mind a bigger text box for the combat messages, and more verbose text (like Ranger shoots crossbow and hits bla bla).

The general mechanics look fine (not too much to go on), the graphics are mediocre (I'd say fine if not for the shitty ground texture and the too strong coloring for weapon range), and the interface looks good.

My verdict: serves the purpose perfectly, although there is (of course) room for improvement. Much, much better than avernum or geneforge, worse than Mount&Blade (although the combat animations might be better), perhaps slightly better than fallout. Some shitty aspects (ground), might turn out quite involving and atmospheric, certainly good enough considering it's not party based, less ranged-combat focused than FO, and that combat is not the main focus of the game. Final grade: between good and great

Hory

Erudite
Some of the squares appear under rocks or other objects. I take it that it doesn't detect yet which squares shouldn't be passable?

John Yossarian

Magister
callehe said:
can you attack diagonally? it'd be weird not to be able to do that.
Yeah, it looks like the diagonal=2ap applies to range too (so you can attack diagonally if you have range=2 weapon and the guy is in a diagonal next to you). It might make some sense in melee, but I'm not sure about ranged. I'm thinking it could easily be exploited by ranger characters.

Edit: Actually, now that I thought about it, I can't see any easy way to exploit it. It would be much easier to exploit if diagonals had the same range.

Selenti

Liturgist
Not sure if you've answered this before (probably have), but is that zoomed in view locked? i.e, do you just have it zoomed in by choice, or can we not take it out a bit? Feels a little claustrophobic.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Gwendo said:
It has no relevance, but why is the movement grid hovering the ground (so that everything lower than it becomes hued, like the soldiers' feet and the dead guy on the ground)?
The grid consists of simple OpenGL primitives (lines, filled squared) right now, so the logics is "grid height = ground height + something". I'd like to replace those primitives with something more artsy anyway.

Rohit_N said:
If the assassin hit you for zero points, why don't you make it say you were hit for "no damage", like in Fallout?
It shows the "absorbed by armour" points even if there is no damage to character.

Hory said:
Some of the squares appear under rocks or other objects. I take it that it doesn't detect yet which squares shouldn't be passable?
It does, but the simplistic grid doesn't reflect it properly. As I have said above, I don't think it should stay, so there I didn't bother working much on it.
When you click unpassable square, you get red animated "X" on the ground.

Selenti said:
Not sure if you've answered this before (probably have), but is that zoomed in view locked? i.e, do you just have it zoomed in by choice, or can we not take it out a bit? Feels a little claustrophobic.
You can zoom in/out, it's not locked.

Kingston said:
Marco Hietala wrote:
Marco Hietala plays RPGs? Cool :cool:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Flashback said:
Gwendo said:
The grid consists of simple OpenGL primitives (lines, filled squared) right now, so the logics is "grid height = ground height + something". I'd like to replace those primitives with something more artsy anyway.
Let's not give Flashback reasons to fuck around with this beautiful grid.

Marco Hietala plays RPGs? Cool :cool:
No, he plays Baldur's Gate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom