Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD combat screens - updated

almondblight

Arcane
Everything looks good, except the Fallout red target thing feels a bit out of place to me. Besides that, I like everything I see, though I second that it would be nice if you could pull the camera back a bit. I also think squares are better than hex's - I hate having to try to figure out movement in Fallout and screwing up my AP, or seeing my character running in zig zags. Squares are good.

Any thought of making a dungeon crawl with this combat engine?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
almondblight said:
Besides that, I like everything I see, though I second that it would be nice if you could pull the camera back a bit.
The camera isn't fixed, so do whatever you like.

Any thought of making a dungeon crawl with this combat engine?
Yes. Waste not.

Gambler

Augur
BTW, how would one switch attack modes for a weapon? (I disliked how it was implemented in Fallout, since it in certain situations it required you to make craploads of mouse clicks just to get through a turn.)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Same as in Fallout, but even more mouse clicks though. Way more.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Is there any way to fix the stretched look of the high terrain textures? Damn thing is making my eyes water.

Good point.

Textures on huge blocks are too low-res.

The engine is messing with them a little. In 3DS they look better...

Maybe there is a way to make them look better without increasing texture size...

The ones on the grond and characters are great. Haven't expected such quality.

Thanks. :)

Mr Happy

Scholar
Is the fallout-style red cursor permanent? I actually kind of like the more abstract style of a target (as opposed to a swinging sword or something, a la PtD).

Anyway, looks great. I really like the dead guy, really high quality.

robur

Scholar

Dhruin

Liturgist
'Bout time. Looks good.

I'm stealing these to put in our gallery.

Gambler

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
Let's say you you have melee weapons with 4 attack modes in both slots. With Fallout interface (in worst case scenario) you need to make 6 right mouse clicks to switch to the right modes, then make 2 clicks to go to targeting mode, then make 2 clicks to actually attack. That's 10 clicks for 2 actions. All of that could be handled by a right-click menu. You right-click on an enemy, click on the attack type, you're done.

Screens look good, BTW. Would be interesting to see a video with some kind of combat animations, though.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Yes but will there be any gore? I've been dragging this sword around for like fifty games... just once I would like to run someone through with it. Also, the ground dosn't look quite right. It's too monotone. Looks like fur. Overall though, nice work.

spacemoose

Erudite
honestly, the ground needs new textures. so do the rocks, but the ground particularly. joecrow is right - it looks like a carpet. more variation is needed

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
GUI looks very cool. You should increase the cut of the guy who has created it. As for combat... I dunno. Looks great, but video would be helpful, so I'll wait until it's released.

Kraszu

Prophet
Vault Dweller said:

Maybe add key to action like 1-normal 2-right leg as optional way to choose. (key would work on active weapon switch weapon could also be mapped whit keyboard like shift for example).

bryce77

Scholar
Is there a way to leave your ranged weapons set to automatically aim for the eyes as the default action? Also, how many different ways of attacking with a single weapon are there? Are there thrusts, swings, slashes, etc, available with a simple sword?

caliban

Scholar
Looks cool. Character models are nice, better textures would be a good thing, but it's not that important.

2 questions:

Will there be verbose combat messages for crits like in Fallout (along the lines of "x was hit critically in the eyes for 50 damage. The loss of an eye is too much for him and he falls to the ground moaning")?

Will there be combat taunts in the form of float messages? I kinda liked those in Fallout too.

Suggestion:

Make a surrender animation - for example, when an NPC loses 90% of his health, he falls to his knees and begs you to spare his life, and you can either execute him or let him go.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I'd recommend putting a white or black outline or glow around your weapon pictures, they blend into the background pattern a bit. Like you have with your UI icons and text.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom