Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD combat screens - updated

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
galsiah said:
Vault Dweller said:
As for your question, it's up to you. We can certainly do both.
How simple is it to add relatively complex queries?
Everything takes time and nothing is impossible. There is your answer.

bluecuracao

Novice
Those screens look really, really good. Compare them with the old 2D engine, and it's like a whole new game, done 8 years later and by a team with 10x the budget. If you could somehow resolve that issue with the engine, which makes the bricks so damn blurry and the "hills" look streched, i'd call it perfect.

Btw: one more question.. you do have critters implemented, right? Animals that occasionly can be encountered in the wild or kittens sneaking through your cities? I ask this because the screens look a bit lifeless to me. Maybe it's just because all these brown textures together, even the grass looks a bit brownish there. Like someone else already suggested, you could add more objects (small rocks, more grass, a bush, flat holes in the ground where black earth is visible, or something else that breaks up the carpet look of the ground texture). And if you don't have critters running around, add those too! Makes your worls much more alive and believable.

But apart from that, it's really nice work. The new GUI also adds a lot to the overall visual quality!

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I stopped following the AOD development for awhile so I wouldn't get burnt out on it. And what a big upgrade graphically and interface-wise in a couple months. The game went from looking horribly outdated to just being a couple years behind.

Vidder

Liturgist
will the grid be faded out when the choosen action starts?
for example: if i click on one square to command the char to move there, as soon as i click the grid could fade out to give free sight to the eye candy. ;)
after that, fade the grid in again.

also: do the npcs play idle animations during the "planing phase"?

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vidder said:
will the grid be faded out when the choosen action starts?
for example: if i click on one square to command the char to move there, as soon as i click the grid could fade out to give free sight to the eye candy. ;)
after that, fade the grid in again.
That can be arragned. Right now it's shrinking with every AP spent.

also: do the npcs play idle animations during the "planing phase"?
Yes.

Mech

Cipher
Thank you thank you thank you thank you for changing the interface. This game looks like its going to be quite good. Hope you didn't fuck up VD. :P
I'll definitely buy it, but only if I can get a hard copy.

EDIT: Speaking of which, how is this game going to be distributed? Links to info appreciated.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You send VD stamps worth 30$ and a paid return-envelope and he sends you the game in the envelope postally.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's looking great, VD. Aside from the minor issues in the environment that have been mentioned, I must say I'm impressed with the characters. Textures, models and pose are great.

Claw said:
Gambler said:
Let's say you you have melee weapons with 4 attack modes in both slots. With Fallout interface (in worst case scenario) you need to make 6 right mouse clicks to switch to the right modes, then make 2 clicks to go to targeting mode, then make 2 clicks to actually attack. That's 10 clicks for 2 actions. All of that could be handled by a right-click menu. You right-click on an enemy, click on the attack type, you're done.
I don't like the idea of having to select my attack every time. Maybe a right-click menu on the weapon slot instead of circling through attacks would work, though?
That seems to me like the reasonable thing to do, IMO.

IMO, the grid needs a bit of work. The colors look a bit aggressive to me. Maybe make it fade a bit more? Remove the lines so the grid is a color patch, like Yossarian suggested? I'm guessing the grid lines are there to help the player know how much AP moving will cost. Regardless of what you do with the grid, here's a suggestion:

Just like you have chance to hit displayed next to the attack cursor, why not have AP required displayed next to the cursor for moving, or even for shooting? That way, it's easier to determine AP for movement. Move the mouse around the grid and you directly get the AP required to move to where you're pointing. You could even make a move cursor to go with that.

By thw way, is it possible to make a move+attack in one click? Say the weapon my character is wielding is not in range, can I just click on the enemy and my character will move+attack? Or do we have to move first and then attack?

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I new to codex, so didn't see old 2d screens. But very very interested in seeing them. It's like what was the beginning of thingie. So where can I look?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Im against removing the grid lines, I think they are necessary to evaluate the movement options, etc. Slightly less intense coloring would be ok, but I dont mind the way it is. It would be nice if characters would not fall below the grid plane and get colored, like that asassin.

M0RBUS

Augur
FrancoTAU said:
I stopped following the AOD development for awhile so I wouldn't get burnt out on it. And what a big upgrade graphically and interface-wise in a couple months. The game went from looking horribly outdated to just being a couple years behind.
...graphics-wise, of course :P

galsiah

Erudite
Claw said:
Yeah, well. Maybe the grid can be moved more closely to the ground.
I get the impression that it's at that height to raise it above the elevated parts of the terrain - some (at least) of which are viable squares to stand on.

For example, here. Lower the grid, and the guy on the right would be standing on half a square. Presumably, the grid gets placed just high enough to appear above any reachable square. (???)

I guess that getting it to hug the terrain (i.e. not be flat) would be harder, and not without its own issues. If there are going to be graphical issues, I think it makes more sense to go for the clearer, simpler abstraction - flat grid above terrain.

sqeecoo

Arcane
I'm still salivating from the screenshots of that conversation with the thieves-guild guy. This game will be oh god it's heaven.

The_Pope

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
We use the "<profession> hits you for <amount> points of damage..." template. It's possible, of course, to add some conditions to it and replace points with point if amount=1, but why bother?

Just use "<profession> hits you for <amount> damage"

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
galsiah said:
Claw said:
Yeah, well. Maybe the grid can be moved more closely to the ground.
I get the impression that it's at that height to raise it above the elevated parts of the terrain - some (at least) of which are viable squares to stand on.

For example, here. Lower the grid, and the guy on the right would be standing on half a square. Presumably, the grid gets placed just high enough to appear above any reachable square. (???)

I guess that getting it to hug the terrain (i.e. not be flat) would be harder, and not without its own issues. If there are going to be graphical issues, I think it makes more sense to go for the clearer, simpler abstraction - flat grid above terrain.

I am not a programmer, but couldn't one just set a flag or something so that character models always render over the gridplane object? It's no big deal though, if that's the way it is, it's the way it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom