Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD combat screens - updated

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The fuckers simply can't be trusted. That's why nobody buys their games.

M0RBUS

Augur
John Yossarian said:
jeansberg said:
So how 'bout them combat videos?
Damned unprofessional and unethical indie devs.
I know you're being sarcastic, but if I remember correctly, the video was delayed because flashback wanted to do some additional tweaking. I that's not professionalism, I don't know what it is...

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
M0RBUS said:
John Yossarian said:
jeansberg said:
I know you're being sarcastic, but if I remember correctly, the video was delayed because flashback wanted to do some additional tweaking. I that's not professionalism, I don't know what it is...

Tweaking, huh? I bet the video will be much better than the game itself. Hype, nothing more, nothing less.

galsiah

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
I am not a programmer, but couldn't one just set a flag or something so that character models always render over the gridplane object? It's no big deal though, if that's the way it is, it's the way it is.
If you mean that you could render the character models in the same 3d positions they are now, but always draw them graphically in front of the grid, you'd get problems. For example, if the grid is significantly higher than the character, drawing the character in front of the grid would leave it appearing to be between two squares (you can see this to a small degree here - if the characters were drawn over the grid, the PC's front foot would appear to be in the wrong square). The severity of the problem would depend on the surrounding terrain, and the camera angle.

It'd be nice if this could be improved, but I can't think of any simple solution that'd be without its problems - other than having entirely flat terrain in all combat areas (I know nothing about Torque btw, and my idea of how things work now might be entirely wrong). The current solution is at least functionally clear - that has to be the priority. Since the grid is obviously not part of the game world, it's not too important that it look "right" - though it'd be nice, of course.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
galsiah said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
I am not a programmer, but couldn't one just set a flag or something so that character models always render over the gridplane object? It's no big deal though, if that's the way it is, it's the way it is.
If you mean that you could render the character models in the same 3d positions they are now, but always draw them graphically in front of the grid, you'd get problems. For example, if the grid is significantly higher than the character, drawing the character in front of the grid would leave it appearing to be between two squares (you can see this to a small degree here - if the characters were drawn over the grid, the PC's front foot would appear to be in the wrong square). The severity of the problem would depend on the surrounding terrain, and the camera angle.

It'd be nice if this could be improved, but I can't think of any simple solution that'd be without its problems - other than having entirely flat terrain in all combat areas (I know nothing about Torque btw, and my idea of how things work now might be entirely wrong). The current solution is at least functionally clear - that has to be the priority. Since the grid is obviously not part of the game world, it's not too important that it look "right" - though it'd be nice, of course.

Right, probably its just not important enough to dick around with.

Vault Dweller

Developer
M0RBUS said:
John Yossarian said:
jeansberg said:
You can thank whoever complained about too many clicks to pick an attack mode. Nick (Flashback) took it personally and now he's on a mission to fix it with some drop down menu. I can only hope that it won't fuck up the aesthetics of the interface and won't cause tons of issues that would take another week to fix. Still, he's a true patriot who believes that we should take seriously all that crap you guys post here.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Vault Dweller said:
You can thank whoever complained about too many clicks to pick an attack mode. Nick (Flashback) took it personally and now he's on a mission to fix it with some drop down menu. I can only hope that it won't fuck up the aesthetics of the interface and won't cause tons of issues that would take another week to fix. Still, he's a true patriot who believes that we should take seriously all that crap you guys post here.

Actually, that's fantastic, I'm really glad to hear that. Thumbs way up for Flashback!

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What he said.
Since you put so much effort in allowing multiple tactical combat options, it's worth it to make them conveniently accessible. It would be a shame if those options became tedious to select, maybe to the point that some won't even bother. Tedium is never fun.

Seboss

Scholar
A critical hit to the groin is always fun, whatever the amount of clicking needed ;)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ismaul said:
What he said.
Since you put so much effort in allowing multiple tactical combat options, it's worth it to make them conveniently accessible. It would be a shame if those options became tedious to select, maybe to the point that some won't even bother. Tedium is never fun.
Let's not reward Flashback's terrorism and motivate him to start fucking around with more things just because he has skills to do that.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
I can only hope that it won't fuck up the aesthetics of the interface

It won´t. I made a nice background for it. :)

And I´m sorry, I also encouraged our Bin Laden to do that change. ;)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vault Dweller said:
You can thank whoever complained about too many clicks to pick an attack mode. Nick (Flashback) took it personally and now he's on a mission to fix it with some drop down menu.
What? He can do that after the video! :evil:

M0RBUS

Augur
*sigh* I personally preferred the "to many clicks" system... but it's probably just me.

:EDIT: Is it?

Dagon

Scholar
Wow the graphics look much better now especially the textures.
and nice to see some more combat screens ;)
good work VD!
I'm waiting for the video!

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
VD, have you looked at the Arcane FX pack for Torque?

I know the name implies spells, but it is actually a powerful special fx system. One of the key components are called Zodiacs, which are a form of decal which project nicely to the terrain. As in, they conform exactly with the terrain but are rendered over it. They also are created relative to a player, and you could easily define a few at different transparencies and in different colour schemes for player preferences.

You would need to tweak it a bit to get what you want, but it shouldn't be too hard to tweak the Zodiac effect to render lines and squares as you have it there (You would need to programmatically create textures which represent your grid). This would eliminate your clipping with the legs problem. I use AFX to create circles of runes for spells, auras for magic items and suchlike, it works even inside interiors.

Hmmm, looking again, it seems like your terrain isn't the default heightmap, it's a model? Or have you just changed the heightmaps square size? Not too sure if FX plays nicely with DTS models, you might need to check with Jeff Faust, AFXs creator. In fact, it would be best to discuss it with him, to see if he thinks it viable. But it could be worth checking out.

http://garagegames.com/products/127/images/?current=2

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Also, and I'm a bit fuzzy here, I'd need to have a look at my OpenGL books, but I think there is a way to set a "depth buffer offset" for OpenGL primatives. Which means that if 2 primatives are rendered with exactly the same depth (is in you drew those openGL lines of yours at the exact height of the terrain), the one with the higher depth offset gets drawn over the one with the lower.

That might be the way Jeff does it, or he could simply have put the drawing of the Zodiacs at the right point in the rendering pipeline. He's a pretty good guy, he might give you an idea of how he went about it without buying his product. Or ask around on some openGL forums.

sam0t

Novice
Hello, fresh meat from F3 forums.

I heard about this game from the F3 forums and came to see whats what. I was bit turned off byt the official site screenshots but these updated combat screens made my mouth water, excelent looking stuff!

Guess I´ll read the forums for few days and see whats this game is about, somehow I was expecting a post apolyptic game, but hey I like any fantasy setting just the same.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
sam0t said:
Hello, fresh meat from F3 forums.

I heard about this game from the F3 forums and came to see whats what. I was bit turned off byt the official site screenshots but these updated combat screens made my mouth water, excelent looking stuff!

Guess I´ll read the forums for few days and see whats this game is about, somehow I was expecting a post apolyptic game, but hey I like any fantasy setting just the same.

Welcome! You came just at the right time!

BTW, I think you were expecting a post-nuclear game, as this game is post-apocaliptic. A terrible war happened which destroyed society as these people knew it.

sam0t

Novice
Its my non-native english at work, easy to confuse words!

And funny how you said just in time as I have started to get disgusted bit by bit of all the action adventure wannabe RPGs, really glad to have found this place. Now you should really update the official screenshots section, so you don´t lose any gfx junkie customers :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom