Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD combat video

xedoc gpr

Scholar
Cool. How about a video?

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
They are hanging onto that Sneak Peek #2 like it's pure gold. Hell, it must be. Been a week or more and still nothing. They even moved "Vince Desi's Goin' Postal" ahead of AoD.

I bet the traffic this lead in has generate is too good to let go too soon. Hits on their site must have gone through the roof and they are holding out as long as possible. Since within days of posting the sneak peek their site traffic we go back to normal. :wink:

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
I'm guessing it should be out tomorrow, unless they decide to bump up *another* exclusive. :roll:

xedoc gpr

Scholar
VD, that is awesome. It looks very professional for an indie game. For some reason I love the interface after seeing it in the video. There's some nitpicks but nothing I care too much about. Is that in-game music? Feels out of place considering the slow pace of the combat.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Thanks. Yes, that's the in-game music. We have over 15 tracks, and I believe we picked a random one.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
X-TREME!!!

Edit: Concern: Is this the normal combat speed? I don't want to seem like a twitch kiddy, but truth is, I am an impatient git. Is there a slider to speed up combat animation? There better be!

Blue

Novice
Thank god it looked good. I was afraid I was getting sucked into this game only to be disapointed. Very nice work, hopefully you can sort out the balancing issues, other then that, the animations were very smooth. It was nice to see that when you were attacking the head, you get a big overhead chop, when your throwing your spear, you throw it, and then its gone. I wasn't paying attention, but how many action points does it cost to adjust your inventory?

Blue

cardtrick

Arbiter
115 KB/s never seemed so slow . . .

EDIT: Wow! This is great. I agree that the animation speed really needs to be increased (maybe even doubled) and should probably be controllable via a slider if that's technically feasible. That said, the animations themselves are fantastic - I really loved the spear throw, and the dude staggering back and falling with it protruding from his body. Who is your animator? The scenery textures are kind of blah, but not really bad, but I love the character models, textures, and animations, along with the interface. It's really a great looking game. I'm definitely into the music, too: especially the song that's playing at the beginning before the combat music starts, although both are good.

More importantly, I also really like the flow of the combat. It's really Fallout-y, of course, although with touches of PtD. I can't wait for this game.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Just downloaded it and watched. I love it. I'm sure if I watch it many, many times I could nit-pick this and that, but that video was worth the wait. I absolutely love it. And the music... :cool:

Edit: At 1:34 at the bottom left in the dialogue window it says, "The Ranger gasps in pain, tries to say something, but chokes on blood filling his throat and and collapses." See? :wink:

I wasn't paying attention, but how many action points does it cost to adjust your inventory?

After the spear impaled the Ranger, you had 5 action points (The number at the bottom right) and when the inventory was open (The Treasure Chest), the action points turned to 1. So it takes 4 action points to open your inventory and equip a new weapon?

John Yossarian

Magister
Great job.
And if you're going to speed up some animations, don't do it on the death ones. Both of those were awesome.

Hazelnut

Erudite
It's great to see it in action at last. On the whole it looked very nice indeed. The only thing I would comment on is firstly the weapons vanishing from hands during some of the animations (dodges I think), and secondly the lack of any visual cue to damage being dealt (blood splats etc) so that you don't have to constantly read the info window just to know if you are dealing damage or not.

I'm not sure why you got into the sarcastic 'not turn-based any more' shtick for an IGN site - surely gonna cause much confusion for many... made me laugh though.

cardtrick

Arbiter
John Yossarian said:
Great job.
And if you're going to speed up some animations, don't do it on the death ones. Both of those were awesome.

Good call. The animations that most need speeding up are the dodges, which look a little too Matrix-y for me. I would also like to see the walking and melee attacks sped up. Death animations, arrow/bolt flights, and spear throws should stay as they are.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn, the video is taking forever to download.

So I'll go ahead with some nitpicks concerning the screenshots. I just noticed that whenever it ought to say "the Assassin (slash Ranger slash Guard)" it only says "Assassin (slash Ranger slash Guard)."
Is there ever a situation where just "Assassin/Ranger/Guard" makes more sense than "the Assassin/Ranger/Guard"? Because it'd look alot more professional with the article.

Also, "killing you instantly" would sound better, I believe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom