Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD combat video

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Here is the formula:

<bad_enough_dude> hits you for <amount> points of damage.
You hit <bad_enough_dude> for ...

<bad_enough_dude> could be either profession (guard) or name (Cassius). We can add "the" either before the tag or to the profession. The problem in the first case would be "The Cassius hits you....". The problem in the second case would be "you hit The Guard for ..." or "the Guard hits you....". So for now we simply dropped "the" entirely.

Noceur

Liturgist
Lookin' good... and fun!

Perhaps the animations are a tad too slow, though (as mentioned)? I have no idea how the engine you're working with is, but a combat speed slider would be awesome.

Unfortunately, depending on how you work and what tools you use, speeding up animations can be a real hassle. And with 200 animations to look over, well that's a lot of work.

Oarfish

Prophet
That is really looking rather good VD.

Are there penalties for being in combat with multiple foes? I guess it might not be too good for game play to heavily penalise being outnumbered in a single PC RPG, but it always irks me seeing someone have more than the slightest chance of victory when engaged by more than 2 trained foes.

spacemoose

Erudite
I like the death animations! the guy falling down with the spear/javelin in his chest was great. and the speed of combat is fine

the dodge animation looks strange though - not like a dodge, but like your dude's about to lose his balance. I would think that taking a half-step backwards or half-crouching to the left or right would look better

Ander Vinz

Scholar
* Every time pc dodges an attack weapon disappears from his hands. With this animation it looks strange.
* Dodging animation is awkward. It's not how good fighters usually evade blows. Are there any others except for dodging blow from behing?
* It's too damn slow. They're fighting like lazy farmers. Is combat speed slider in?

Dyskolos

Cipher
Maybe a stupid question but am I right in assuming you can bind camera movement to the keyboard rather than having to push at the screen edges like in the video.
Other than that and the already mentioned combat speed, everything looks even better than I was expecting. Probably one of the few times I've not regretted going to IGN.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If reading the text in the game will be as much fun as reading your articles, the game is a sure winner for me.

Jedi_Learner said:
Edit: At 1:34 at the bottom left in the dialogue window it says, "The Ranger gasps in pain, tries to say something, but chokes on blood filling his throat and and collapses." See? :wink:
I would insert an article here was well.

I second the statements on animation speed. The walking pace seems inappropriately leisurely.

There is no animation when the guard dodges the first arrow. Is a dodge animation for ranged attacks not yet implemented or don't you plan one? I'm thinking a quick twitch/crouch animation would be appropriate.
The assassin's attacks seem to do a surprising amount of damage, even without criticals. I mean, you've got your modder armour, and the first two attacks immediately punch through. Are those regular or fast attacks? Small weapon, fast attacks.. looks like that assassin is on Buffout.

Vault Dweller said:
Here is the formula:

<bad_enough_dude> hits you for <amount> points of damage.
You hit <bad_enough_dude> for ...
I assumed as much. I know it seems crude, but you could simply have two (or more) names for each NPC, depending on circumstance.

Wait a second! "The Ranger gasps in pain"? How come?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Claw said:
If reading the text in the game will be as much fun as reading your articles, the game is a sure winner for me.

Jedi_Learner said:
Edit: At 1:34 at the bottom left in the dialogue window it says, "The Ranger gasps in pain, tries to say something, but chokes on blood filling his throat and and collapses." See? :wink:
I would insert an article here was well.

I don't understand? What are you talking about at the end?

Sodomy

Scholar
A couple of questions (that may likely have already been answered):
1. Is armor protection a difference Gothic-style (meaning, does it absorb the first x points of an attack), or is it percentage based a la Elder Scrolls? IMO, the first option makes more sense, as long as attacks bypassing armor and stuff are implemented (which they apparently are) and I saw the amount that armor was guarding varying a bit in the vid, although 'x' could (and probably should) be slightly randomized. If the former case is true, does 'x' changed based on the weapon used?

2. Are 3-on-1 combat situations likely for fighters, or was that just done for the sake of demonstration? If they are likely, how do you intend to balance this in a game where HPs don't increase, and the character is never godlike? Will you have followers, and if so, will you be able to order the around like in D&D games, just give them vague commands, or will they do whatever the hell they like as in Arcanum and Fallout?

Amasius

Augur
It seems that most people outside the Codex don't get VDs sarcasm. But that guy on the Obsidian forums who wanted infos about plot and dialogue from a combat video... He should have read the title of the thread he's posting in. :roll:

The video looks fine. Most animations are great (especially the death animations) except for dodging which looks awkward. I agree that most animations could be a bit faster but for me only the walking is much to slow.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Will flanking be implemented? And a way to tell how hurt your enemies are.

It looks pretty good, but the animations were very slow. That could be a problem with the player only controlling one character (the one main thing I'm concerned about).

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Hey VD, just real quick, not much time right now:

- It looks good, positively surprised by the animations. Cool touch with the "come closer" idle animation in the beginning.
- Nice choice of tactical options (for a SP game)
- A bit of explanatory narrative would have been god in the video.
- Some blood splatter, please
- Blood seeping from under dead folks looks good.
- How are the combat sounds (I assume its not just music in game?), could we get some samples?
- Did I see some of my taunts in there?
- Awesome music, no kidding.
- The article will turn many off with all the insider jokes. Get off the Codex speak if you go public like that, this is stuff you are doing for the people who do NOT come here.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sodomy said:
A couple of questions (that may likely have already been answered):
1. Is armor protection a difference Gothic-style (meaning, does it absorb the first x points of an attack), or is it percentage based a la Elder Scrolls? IMO, the first option makes more sense, as long as attacks bypassing armor and stuff are implemented (which they apparently are) and I saw the amount that armor was guarding varying a bit in the vid, although 'x' could (and probably should) be slightly randomized. If the former case is true, does 'x' changed based on the weapon used?
The first x points. The difference that you saw could be explained by the difference between DR value and damage rolls.

2. Are 3-on-1 combat situations likely for fighters, or was that just done for the sake of demonstration?
Likely for fighters. There are many one on one fights, of course, but every now and then you have to deal with a crowd. At least when some bandits stop you and demand money, giving them what they want won't be a silly option.

If they are likely, how do you intend to balance this in a game where HPs don't increase, and the character is never godlike?
Skills. You either learn to kill fast or to avoid attacks and to rely on your armor/shield. One of the top assassin quests sent you under a false identity to a well guarded "mark". You must be skilled enough to kill his guards quickly before reinforcement arrives. It's not easy and you can decide not to volunteer for the quest, but if you have the skills, that's quite an accomplishment.

Will you have followers, and if so, will you be able to order the around like in D&D games, just give them vague commands, or will they do whatever the hell they like as in Arcanum and Fallout?
Whatever the hell they want. You won't have any permanent followers though.

Anyway, about the video. The dodge animation will be replaced. The speed and overall flow will be improved. We just wanted to show you something, how the game looks and plays, the animations, etc. The next video will focus on mechanics and tactics, and hopefully, will make the game look more appealing.

cardtrick

Arbiter
GhanBuriGhan said:
The article will turn many off with all the insider jokes. Get off the Codex speak if you go public like that, this is stuff you are doing for the people who do NOT come here.

QFT.

The responses in other forums are really sad . . . I mean, on the one hand I want to laugh at their dumbfuckery for not understanding the sarcasm. On the other hand, it sucks to scare away potential customers, who probably really would like the game.

But really, the responses just make me cringe a bit. Most of them clearly didn't even watch the video, and taking quotes out of context from that article certainly make VD sound like a pompous asshole and the game sound absurd. And as long as you're just seeing isolated lines, like a visitor to one of those forums would, it's not so over the top that you necessarily realize it's satire. If I was uninitiated into the Codex ways, and stumbled across a thread like one of the ones at Qt3 or Obsidian, I doubt that I would click the link to look at the RPG Vault article.

And Vault Dweller, it's your game. Obviously you can do whatever the hell you want with it. But I've never gotten the impression before this that you were making it as a satire or deliberately to show up Bethesda/Bioware/Obsidian. It never seemed like a "statement." I thought (and still think) you were just making the game that you wanted to make, in the style that you enjoyed. Writing that article, however, seems to imply the opposite.

I just want it to be successful, so that Iron Tower survives . . .

Vault Dweller

Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
- How are the combat sounds (I assume its not just music in game?), could we get some samples?
We don't have them. Maybe yet, maybe at all.

- Did I see some of my taunts in there?
Yep.

- Awesome music, no kidding.
Yep.

- The article will turn many off with all the insider jokes. Get off the Codex speak if you go public like that, this is stuff you are doing for the people who do NOT come here.
Ok, dad. I'm sorry. I won't do it again.

Vault Dweller

Developer
cardtrick said:
The responses in other forums are really sad . . . I mean, on the one hand I want to laugh at their dumbfuckery for not understanding the sarcasm. On the other hand, it sucks to scare away potential customers, who probably really would like the game.
Well, they don't look like potential customers to me. I'm not trying to sound arrogant or anything, but we both know that the game won't appeal to a lot of people. These folks are one of them.

And Vault Dweller, it's your game. Obviously you can do whatever the hell you want with it. But I've never gotten the impression before this that you were making it as a satire or deliberately to show up Bethesda/Bioware/Obsidian. It never seemed like a "statement."
It's not. It's neither a satire nor a statement aimed to prove something (as the only thing the game can prove is that games like these don't sell).

cardtrick

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
We don't have them. Maybe yet, maybe at all.

You can probably find free sounds to use, if you don't want to hire anyone or pay for sounds from a royalty free library. This might be a decent place to start: http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php. You have to attribute the sounds somewhere, but other than that they're free for use in any project, commercial or noncommercial, that isn't an advertisement.

EDIT: You can search, or look around by keyword (game or fantasy seem like pretty common ones that would apply), and people put together packs of useful sounds. Example: http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/packsViewSingle.php?id=1584.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom