Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD combat video

Spiffor

Novice
Looks promising!

An interface question though: will I have to click at the bottom of the screen every time I want to choose a fast/normal/power attack? Or will there be something else to the same effect (hotkeys, or right-clicks a la Jagged Alliance)?

Also, I too would like a slider for animation speed, or an option to disable them. I'm typically a turn-based player (roleplaying ans strategy), but I find that slow animation brings unwelcome tedium.

sam0t

Novice
Video looks very nice. One more vote for animation speed slider, if its not implemented yet.

Durwyn

Prophet
I'm bordering on graphic whoreism here though so file it under 'gold-plating."
I think that we have no doubt that in terms of RPGness AoD will be good, so graphic whoreism about it is nothing bad to me. If any of the gameplay or rpg wise elements would be sacrificed to graphics then i would say this sucks. But keeping attention to graphics when quality of all mentioned above things is doubtless, can only make the game more appealing and more atractive...

Jora

Arcane
If you're still tweaking the animations, here's another suggestion for the exaggerated direction they could take:

powera.jpg

sabishii

Arbiter
I would like to add that VD, if you are going for *realistic* combat animations, then I would suggest not looking at animations like the one Jora suggested. You could look at medieval texts about swordfighting/knifefighting/etc. instead. I could look for some PDFs later tonight if that's the case.

If you're not prioritizing realism, though, then of course there's no problem with these suggestions here.

Durwyn

Prophet
sabishii said:
I would like to add that VD, if you are going for *realistic* combat animations, then I would suggest not looking at animations like the one Jora suggested. You could look at medieval texts about swordfighting/knifefighting/etc. instead. I could look for some PDFs later tonight if that's the case.

If you're not prioritizing realism, though, then of course there's no problem with these suggestions here.
http://www.thearma.org/about.htm - I suggest looking here. Download some vids, read articles... Some of those guys are fucking briliant with blades... I recall some guy that was swinging fucking huge claymore with deadly speed and precision. He looked like he would slice a man in to pieces and don't even sweat himself..

sabishii

Arbiter
Durwyn said:
sabishii said:

http://www.thearma.org/about.htm - I suggest looking here. Download some vids, read articles... Some of those guys are fucking briliant with blades... I recall some guy that was swinging fucking huge claymore with deadly speed and precision. He looked like he would slice a man in to pieces and don't even sweat himself..
I second that site. I didn't want to suggest it yet because I didn't remember if it had any good videos/pictures, but according to your testimonial it does, and I know it is a highly respected "Western Martial Arts" organization.

Durwyn

Prophet
I think I've got movies from official forum IIRC... there are many ARMA related sites with movies and pics so this isn't a problem afterall...

cardtrick

Arbiter
Just my vote, and no justification for it, but I prefer a more dramatic, stylized look for animations. The sketch Jora posted seems great to me.

sabishii

Arbiter
cardtrick said:
Just my vote, and no justification for it, but I prefer a more dramatic, stylized look for animations. The sketch Jora posted seems great to me.
Good for you, but IMO it's VD's call as to what tone he wants to set with the combat. If it were up to me, I'd stab that guy in the armpit when he decided to raise his sword that high.

Edit: Videos and Photos.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If we're voting, I'm not really in favour of greatly exaggerated animations.
My ideal is short and quick. Sudden, curt movement especially at the beginning of strike, block or dodge animations.
In the video, the hit animations where the best in that regard. Also, the dodge animation when attacked from behind. It was so quick, the dodged attack came far too late.

Durwyn

Prophet
One thing that i don't like in combat vid are the battle stances... I think they are too motion-less... I would suggest more dynamic stances, where fighters actually change position a bit, lean from side to side, breath deeper, provoke enemy with movement. They also need more exaggeration...

Sodomy

Scholar
sabishii said:
If it were up to me, I'd stab that guy in the armpit when he decided to raise his sword that high.
Except you wouldn't, because it wouldn't be your turn :lol:

Mamon

Scholar
I will be a very sad man if I need Pay pal to play this. I have a Visa, but not pay pal. And live in latinamerica.

:(

:*(

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Mamon said:
I will be a very sad man if I need Pay pal to play this. I have a Visa, but not pay pal. And live in latinamerica.

:(

:*(

Well, if you are in Argentina you can go by my home to pay :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom