Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD demo discussion.

Black

Arcane
1. I like the dialogue. Not talking about whether it's deep or not but it feels natural. I'm bored of cliché responses in rpgs, especially fantasy rpgs, where every sentence is something like "By the gods, I'll walk your dog" or some stupid shit like that. And in some of them the writers are dipshits who try to put some ye olde English in there but the only words they know are "thou" and "thee" (wink, wink). So bonus points for natural speech.
2. Combat is a bit too simple. Sure, you have different kinds of weapons and attacks but something's lacking. Basically it's like this:
-if I want someone to have less attacks- arms
-if I want them to move less- legs
-if I want them knocked out- head, though that rarely works
-if I want additional damage- aimed at torso
Kinda wish there were more critical hits results. Losing next turn, hurting yourself, aim penalty if you've been critically hit in the arm etc. It'd probably be less balanced this way but oh well.
3. I'm sure VD being influenced by fo3 and da fucked up pretty hard somewhere in there but it's hard to notice in the combat demo so I'll keep my eyes open when the normal one comes out!

KickAss

Augur
found time to give it a try.
problems:
1. after some time, the text in the text box started to look scrambled (happened before the magic sword guy)
something like this:
welcome and joinxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tales of high advxxxxxxxxxxxxx
brave warrior blaxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. save name is gibberish instead of english (bilingual computer)

other than that, looks great and very fun to play!

hal900x

Augur
Should I actually be bothering to submit bug reports, given that this is just a combat demo? What's the link?

There are still a number of bugs carried over from R1: Spears going through walls, flavor text for the final arena fight being skipped, the arrow gold cheat, etc.

xedoc gpr

Scholar
On the gameplay side, it's pretty fun. Graphics, animations, good. Combat music sounds stupidly out of place compared to the onscreen pace, and and the writing isn't that great.

Helton

Arcane
So in that camp mission with the archer in the tower, what's the deal with him? Can a melee fighter get to him? Or do you have to have a ranged/throwing supplement?
edit: Also, is Nick a poster here?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Helton said:
So in that camp mission with the archer in the tower, what's the deal with him? Can a melee fighter get to him?
Yes.

edit: Also, is Nick a poster here?
Yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom