Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD demo discussion.

Melcar

Arcane
The last arena battle is really lame. By the time you get to that point, you already have bitching armor and high enough skills that the Dellar dude, or whatever he's called, can't touch you. I hope there won't be many situations like that in the game.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
hal900x said:
Well I'm glad it was tough for you. I tried the exact same strategy, a lot, but I was never able to make it work for me. Even when I killed the leader first, the other two guys whittled me down. Although, I think the shield wasn't lasting at all when I tried that. Did you have to kite the group around very long in order to get two full turns alone with the leader? Or was it pretty soon?

Here is how I did it. Check it out:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... w.html#new

I could use 20 bucks down here :P

Melcar

Arcane
Was dodge changed in some way? My PC is having a harder time than usual with her dodges, despite having the same score as previous builds of mine.

The Triarii were easy for me when compared to the shitstorm that was the Ordu. Triarii were practically a cakewalk, though it did take more than one fight to beat them if I recall.

xantrius

Liturgist
With hammer/ dodge the two Ordu was a bitch. With Bow/ critical strike the three Triarii was a bitch. And with spear/block the butcher was bitch. Only my hammer guy could manage the inn fight though.

hal900x

Augur
What exactly is the effect of a successful net entangle? I just tried one out against the Ordu, landing it on the swordsman, and I couldn't see any difference. The dude just charged and raped me in same turn. Is it a reduction of to-hit, AP, or what?

hal900x

Augur
I notice the Ordu archer ignores a large portion of DR on all his arrow strikes. Is this true of all bow attacks? If so, what's the formula? Looks like only 1/3 of my total DR is being applied? I forget because I'm trying two different armor sets. 1/3 or 1/2.

Zomg

Arbiter
He's using iron armor piercing arrows is why. I forget the exact formula but I think they do something like halve DR and but also halve damage.

Melcar that's bugged, I think they switched the armor multiplier for barbed ammo to a damage multiplier on the side arrows from multishot or so (also happens with your arrows that hit someone you weren't aiming at).

Melcar

Arcane
Well, it is a critical. Normal multishot hits are doing 5-10 on average. Still, way too overpowered; long bow + 8 str. + 250 skill level + critical + meteor missile = lots of death people and broken combat. Even fast shots are dropping heavily armored fools.

hal900x

Augur
Are the Ordu only supposed to give you 10 skill points in total for the fight (not including the 20 after, for the new title)? I was surprised when I killed the swordsman first, gleefully hit 'C" (it took me days to beat them), and...nothing :(

After killing the archer I got 10. Maybe it's a trimmed down reward for this fight, because it grants you the title and the extra 20 SP?

hal900x

Augur
Melcar said:
I think they each give you 10.
Then I'm extra manly for finishing gimped by 10. But I wanna know so I can file a bug report, because there was something weird that might have caused it. I had just netted the guy before I killed him, and when he died his body continued to have the "netted" symbol over his body. Since that was the guy that gave no skill points, I wonder if it had something to do with the fact that the game didn't fully register the death because he was netted.

Also, I noticed the arrow buying bug didn't get fixed in R2. It's submitted, right?

Good Ol' Drog

Educated
AoD's combat is like playing NWN with only the warrior class and enemies being humans of the same class. And no companions. And fighting only a few enemies at time. And in turn-based for the sake of turn-based.

A huge disappointment, especially considering the amount of hype.

Jora

Arcane
As if you were expecting anything at all. :D

And why would you compare the combat of AoD to the whole of NWN? Why would you want to fight against more than a few enemies at a time when they provide enough challenge on their own? In the demo there are opportunities to fight groups of more than 3. The final (optional) encounter has six Imperial Guards.

I've always felt that in games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, the Krondor series, and ToEE the fights against human opponents and other adventuring parties were the most interesting ones. Helm & Cloak Inn, Iron Throne penthouse, Cloakwood mines entrance etc. Besides, I'm not sad to see that there aren't mobs of monsters to kill considering that combat in AoD is only optional and the situations aren't forced.

Lomer

Liturgist
hal900x said:
Are the Ordu only supposed to give you 10 skill points in total for the fight (not including the 20 after, for the new title)? I was surprised when I killed the swordsman first, gleefully hit 'C" (it took me days to beat them), and...nothing :(

After killing the archer I got 10. Maybe it's a trimmed down reward for this fight, because it grants you the title and the extra 20 SP?

I believe that when the swordsman is killed by his fellow Ordu archer (due to misfire) you don't get any reward. Are you sure that it is you that did the final blow?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Jora said:
As if you were expecting anything at all. :D

And why would you compare the combat of AoD to the whole of NWN? Why would you want to fight against more than a few enemies at a time when they provide enough challenge on their own? In the demo there are opportunities to fight groups of more than 3. The final (optional) encounter has six Imperial Guards.

I've always felt that in games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, the Krondor series, and ToEE the fights against human opponents and other adventuring parties were the most interesting ones. Helm & Cloak Inn, Iron Throne penthouse, Cloakwood mines entrance etc. Besides, I'm not sad to see that there aren't mobs of monsters to kill considering that combat in AoD is only optional and the situations aren't forced.

I would just like to say my compliments to your good taste when it comes to RPG encounters!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom