Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD dialogue screen

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Still work in progress, so opinions and suggestions are welcome. We hooked up the dialogue database thingy yesterday, here is the first shot after switching to 3D.

Link

Astromarine

Erudite
very neat. My only tiny tiny niggle is that the gold display looks very isolated there under the picture instead of being on the bottom of the window (say, bottom right corner of the dialogue window itself) where it is closer to the stats displays. It's too near to the only visual element on the screen now. it gets lost.

Zli

Novice
First, I love the dialogue choices :)

But I'm not so sure about the background. It reminds me of the old Win 3.1 tiled wallpapers (i.e. really old) and looks too busy when it's behind such a thin font. I'd either put a bolder font, or make a non-tiled / easier on the eyes wallpaper, or both. A barely visible low-contrast landscape, maybe that of the region you're in, would be nice...

The borders look fine.

One more thing... I've noticed the Perception check on the bottom left. Is that made automaticly when you enter an area or do you have to click somewhere? And is it a roll, or just an ordinary <> ?

Or you could also display your current health/mana etc there as well, to help judge whether attacking or not is a good idea.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Agree. Thanks, Astro.

There is no mana. HPs are visible on the interface (50 HP)

callehe

Liturgist
looks great, I love the new 3d look with high detail level, and the ground looks realistic too. keep up the good work.

corvax

Augur
No talking heads? Sellout! :)

So far so good. I'm curious about the transition from the game screen to the dialogue screen though. Now it seems as if the dialogue interface almost completely takes over the screen, maybe something less invasive would work such as not reducing the game screen so much.

Also the NPC dialogue sort of blends in and looks more like a description of something as it took me few seconds to see what the character was responding to.

Zli

Novice
I meant something like this.
Those trees were the first thing I found, but it could be done much better. I'm no Cézanne.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Zli said:
One more thing... I've noticed the Perception check on the bottom left. Is that made automaticly when you enter an area or do you have to click somewhere? And is it a roll, or just an ordinary <> ?
<>. It happens automatically. Basically, it's a "save a hostage" quest. You could do it a number of ways, from brute force to assassination to negotiating the ransom (and making a nice profit on the difference if you have the skills) to asking someone else to help out to helping the guards by scouting the place. How helpful you could be to the guards is determined by your stats/skills via automatic checks like the one above.

Vault Dweller

Developer
hussar said:
So far so good. I'm curious about the transition from the game screen to the dialogue screen though. Now it seems as if the dialogue interface almost completely takes over the screen, maybe something less invasive would work such as not reducing the game screen so much.
Sure, we can reduce it as it was before if that's what you guys prefer.

Also the NPC dialogue sort of blends in and looks more like a description of something as it took me few seconds to see what the character was responding to.
Yeah, agree. That area kinda sucks and unfinished. We'll tweak it.

Zli said:
Those trees were the first thing I found, but it could be done much better. I'm no Cézanne.
We'll consider it. I'd hate to waste any more time now on pretty stuff but if we have time, we will.

Spazmo

Erudite
It's really great, but all that empty space really bugs me. Find something useful to fill it with! Perhaps a recap of the conversation to date could appear somewhere in there.

Human Shield

Augur
A lot of empty space.

Maybe add some status windows in the lower left.

. Mood of other person, maybe with graphical faces.
. Any status effects you have, so being poisoned will show up and disappear in conversation with a healer NPC.
. Usable inventory, maybe bribing with items instead of just gold (like selling to merchant). Or items to help you sneak attack or showing poison items that let you poison. Darklands' item usage dialog choices combined with inventory status.

Necropennis

Scholar
I liked the edit(not the coca-cola one ¬¬) although those trees looked like roman soldiers in formation at first sight(no offense heh).

Actually, that would be pretty cool. A Roman legion in the background :O

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I disagree with Necropenis. I think you need to keep the Coke advertisement.

spacemoose

Erudite
I also think there should be some kind of faint background picture for the dialogue screen.

Other than that, it looks sweet. As others mentioned the dialogue options are very very good. This looks like what I have been waiting for since... a long time! :D

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Does status screen have to be gray-ed out (and not accessible, I presume)?
Can at least the messages window (bottom left) be normal and scrollabe during dialogs?

edit: btw, I don't like the dialog background either, looks out of place/color combination now. IMO even this :) would have been better.
No biggie, tho.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The interface buttons are locked in the dialogue mode. The message window could be unlocked but it's kinda useless at this point as nothing would be reflected there during a dialogue session.

The background is ok, nothing spectacular, but it works (translation: it doesn't bother me).

obediah

Erudite
Spacemoose said:
I also think there should be some kind of faint background picture for the dialogue screen.

Other than that, it looks sweet. As others mentioned the dialogue options are very very good. This looks like what I have been waiting for since... a long time! :D

The real space moose cries everytime his name is used for something other than pranks involving buggery. At least change your little banner thingie to have space moose in it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom