Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD forces you to play certain roles?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Azrael the cat said:
No. But I would certainly file "I shouldn't be forced into having a particular father-son relationship in FO3 that pre-defines aspects of my character" as constructive criticism. Do you agree?
Yes.

Let's look at the difference between these situations, the 'I should be able to stay in the vault' as situation type A, and the 'I should not have to help arrange an assassination in AoD' and 'I shouldn't be forced into having a particular father-son relationship in FO3' as situation type B.
There is a HUGE difference between the last two situations that were grouped together for some reasons. You have 0 choice in FO3 father-son relationship. You can't avoid it at all. There is no evil uncle you can choose as an alternative moral compass. Now, the AoD vignette in question is one out of 8 different ways to start the game. Eight. So, the question of choicelessness shouldn't really be raised. If we had a single situation with one path, the criticism would have been justified. Otherwise...

Because the predefined father relation in FO3, AND the 'you must assist in arranging the assassination' don't just give us a situation, they force important aspects of our characters', well 'character' - the character's personality, moral and social outlook etc. THAT is a problem, and one that could be fixed a lot easier than it would be to give a 'fuck the water chip' option in FO1 - the same situation could be presented, except now you could have the option of turning the assassin and client in to the police, and the police saying 'hey, we found this map on the guy when we searched him, do you know anything about that?'
a) There is no police (no guards who give a damn about innocent citizens)
b) assassins operate openly (like lawyers), providing valuable services to the community

Or come up with an opening viginette that doesn't presuppose a massive aspect of our characters' personality.
You mean like giving you an option to pick no background and start with a completely untainted and clean slate? Or other backgrounds?

I do think it is a valid criticism to point out that your assassination beginning is NOT like that - it is like the feared predefined father-son relationship in FO3, where major roleplaying decisions are taken away from the player for no good reason.

So, does Bethesda rock gaming design? Or was Mareus making a valid and constructive criticism?
Nope.

Mareus

Magister
Jasede said:
I'm very disappointed I can't play a gay furry in AoD, this game sucks.

No one here said the game will suck. And no one is making a big issue out of the lack of option for the merchant background. It would just be a nice touch. That is all. If you don't want to do it VD, no problem, but do not argue the game will be better without that option.

Mareus

Magister
thesheeep said:
Is it me or did Mareus just fail his irony check two times in a row?...

From what did you come to that conclusion, brain surgeon? I was just saying I hope it wont suck.

Ratty

Scholar
Claw said:
Croats have no sense of humour whatsoever.
Yeah, you make a joke and they're immediately all like "WTF, I hope AoD won't suck, so let's kill all the Serbs and Muslims!!1" and stuff. What's up with that?

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Ratty said:
Claw said:
Croats have no sense of humour whatsoever.
Yeah, you make a joke and they're immediately all like "WTF, I hope AoD won't suck, so let's kill all the Serbs and Muslims!!1" and stuff. What's up with that?
So how should AoD turn out for me not to get killed?

gamefan

Scholar
DefJam101 said:
Jaime Lannister said:
Jasede said:
I'm very disappointed I can't play a gay furry in AoD, this game sucks.

I had the same problem in Mass Effect, main stream hates penises.
Why would you want to play a faggot?

Even playing as a lesbian is a little strange in mass effect.

Disconnected

Scholar
gamefan said:
Why would you want to play a faggot?
Because breeders are disgusting, morally bankrupt sinners & breeding is unnatural, of course. Says so right here in my Yloh Elbib.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom