Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD Lighting sucks. Badly.

k_bits

Scholar
You know what? The graphics on this bitch rock.

Leave em as is VD

spacemoose

Erudite
I think we all know how it feels to have the stuff you poured your time and effort in be criticized and that it takes a lot of self-control not to dismiss the issues raised outright, but to try to see your work from the point of the critic and change it. So what I'm trying to say is that my respect for VD, and his team has grown a lot. Of course all of that is out the window if AoD turns out to be crap.

Nael

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
And if you're not interested in taking a day to implement good lighting (which you could even learn in the same day)...
It gets better and better. One of us is a moron. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and I assume that it's me. Now, please explain in details how I can improve the game dramatically in a day or two.

Sell out. :twisted:

cubgrace

Novice
V.D. Make it story driven and just plan fun! Please do not worry to much about graphics. I have a lot riding on you indie game makers.

cubgrace

Novice
Good grief, just add a gama slider. lol I just went back and read some stuff. Keep up the good work V.D.

Bah

Arcane
cubgrace said:
V.D. Make it story driven and just plan fun! Please do not worry to much about graphics. I have a lot riding on you indie game makers.

I second that! With the exception of Europa Universalis III, this is the only game I've been excited about in a very long time.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
cubgrace said:
Good grief, just add a gama slider. lol I just went back and read some stuff. Keep up the good work V.D.

Seperate gamma and contrast sliders are always good.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
2343.gg_snapshot.jpg

Holy crap, did you guys make that change? Because that looks fucking fantastic. No hyperbole.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Thanks. The screens are old, and yes, that's in the game. HOWEVER! that's the great outdoors and the problem we are having is with the indoor lighting and shadows (which, hopefully, we'll fix shortly one way or another).

Immortality

Novice
It's not my intention to spoil the party :( BUT, in the two previous screenshots i've noticed that the people cast a shadow on the ground, but none of the objects do (the barrels, the tents, the plants, the trees).

There's always still some room for improvement, but hey, great screenies alright :)

The_Pope

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Thanks. The screens are old, and yes, that's in the game. HOWEVER! that's the great outdoors and the problem we are having is with the indoor lighting and shadows (which, hopefully, we'll fix shortly one way or another).

That may be difficult, seeing as Torque is the Tribes 2 engine. The indoor areas in that game were pretty basic :(

DarkSign

Erudite
Its very doable. the Torque Lighting Kit is quite good and provides for dynamic lighting both inside and out - although lighting inside is done in a completely different way than outside.

The problem is that the interior lighting code doesnt inherit the values from the outside.

Here is a good place to start in the Torque Developer Network wiki.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Elwro said:
I think it will be a challenge even to let modem users know about the game, since they don't spend much time on the net. I'm not sure what is the proper way of handling this difficulty...

Fuck. You.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Immortality said:
It's not my intention to spoil the party :( BUT, in the two previous screenshots i've noticed that the people cast a shadow on the ground, but none of the objects do (the barrels, the tents, the plants, the trees).

There's always still some room for improvement, but hey, great screenies alright :)

Haha, wtf, not even Oblivion had object shadows in the end. OMG TEH RIBCAGE DIDN'T HAVE ZE SHADOWS ON TEH WALL!

Object shadows aren't important. Character shadows are more than enough to give a sense of depth and placement.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I doubt that, since even the guy who wrote the lighting kit (which we have) acknowledges the problem and so far can't help us.

DarkSign

Erudite
That's strange. Im in an IRC channel of people who do it on a daily basis. Not trying to have a pissing contest here (you've trumped with the most uber of sources) but Im sitting here talking with fellow Torquers...and we all think it's do able.

Perhaps Im misreading the problem. Arent you just trying to just do indoor lighting and indoor shadows?

Vault Dweller

Developer
DarkSign said:
That's strange. Im in an IRC channel of people who do it on a daily basis. Not trying to have a pissing contest here ...
Hey, maybe you are right, I'm not an expert on these things. If your advice can help us, that would be great.

(you've trumped with the most uber of sources) but Im sitting here talking with fellow Torquers...and we all think it's do able.
Doable how? Also, there is a difference between "I think it's doable" and "I know it's doable, I did it last week", but I'm sure you know that. From what I know that's a well known problem with Torque. There are ways to handle it, like using QuArk, but none of them are very easy and would force us to redo all objects.

Perhaps Im misreading the problem. Arent you just trying to just do indoor lighting and indoor shadows?
Yep.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Thanks. We are using 3D Studio Max. I hate QuArk too; we tried working with it to fix the lighting program, but it's too fucking awful.

DarkSign

Erudite
As Im sure you know, the Torque Constructor will be out semi-soon. That would help.

While I go hunting, you might look into using 3d World Studio for doing interiors. http://www.leadwerks.com/ Perhaps you have already. It's a lot like Hammer (if you've done HL editing). Very easy to use as well. But you've probably considered this program already, no?

I would have thought that the specific wiki page above - especially the part about direct and linked lighting - would have helped.

Here's a thread that also might help (asusming im understanding you correctly:
Custom interior ambient light

If not just pm me with exactly what you are trying to do but cant and Ill keep digging (read as: ask someone smarter than myself)

EDIT: I could have sworn that we had dynamic interior shadowing working. Are you portaling your "interiors?" Im putting quotes around that because I realized that Torque's definition of interior and the common usage are different and I might have been confusing the two. But the portalling question is an important one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom