Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD - Readme: the combat demo survival guide

Double Ogre

Scholar
Did he seriously post a readme for a not-yet-released demo?

Is this supposed to be a joke?

Silellak

Cipher
Double Ogre said:

Yes, because having a glimpse of the combat rules before the combat demo comes out is a terrible, terrible thing and worthy of the most epic of scorn.

Double Ogre

Scholar
A readme is supposed to be a part of a product. Releasing it on its own is pretty ridiculous. I'm not sure if VD is (intentionally or unintentionally) teasing or mocking us.

I liked this part the best:
Thank you for playing!
Gee, thanks, VD, for letting me enjoy this awesome combat demo.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Double Ogre said:

Your constant attention flatters me.

Since we're pretending that we're releasing the demo in the near future, the readme is the "documentation" (for the lack of a better word) that will accompany it. So, in case something isn't clear or missing or should be explained or expanded, I'd rather fix it now than after the demo is released. Capiche?

A readme is supposed to be a part of a product. Releasing it on its own is pretty ridiculous.
I didn't "release" it. I didn't send it to all news site eagerly awaiting praises and glowing reviews. I posted it on our forums to see if everything is clearly explained.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
He's showing it to get feedback on the readme. The readme needs to be well made so that he can get as good feedback as possible. Most downloaders of the demo probably don't know anything about the game, so the readme needs to explain a lot of stuff. Otherwise the forums will be filled with useless posts ("Why does I always miss with weapon derpderp?").

This is pretty obvious stuff.

Silellak

Cipher
I'm curious Ogre, have you already written down your bitching about the AoD combat demo in a text file somewhere? Or are you actually going to wait til comes out and see what others have to say before coming up with your own "feedback"?

Double Ogre

Scholar
Silellak said:
I'm curious Ogre, have you already written down your bitching about the AoD combat demo in a text file somewhere? Or are you actually going to wait til comes out and see what others have to say before coming up with your own "feedback"?
Huh? You're not making any sense.

Anyway, this is the first time I see someone releasing a readme on its own "just to be sure that everything is clear enough". And I find it ridiculous. That is all.

Silellak

Cipher
Double Ogre said:
Silellak said:
Huh? You're not making any sense.

Anyway, this is the first time I see someone releasing a readme on its own "just to be sure that everything is clear enough". And I find it ridiculous. That is all.

And I find your incessant whining about anything AoD-related to be ridiculous. That is all.

Kortalh

Liturgist
Wait, wait, wait... before this thread goes any further, let me ask you this: Does anyone actually read the readmes?

Joe Krow

Erudite
I could write some pretty decent instructions on driving a car but it would be tough to say how accurate they are if you have never driven one.

Maybe you were just looking for grammatical advice? "The descriptions of weapon damage have no flow." "The section on healing is a bit dry."

Releasing a readme before the associated product is amateur hour. It's not encouraging.

Did you change the shaders on any of the trees today? Maybe it's time for a new round of screen shots?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The Ticktockman said:
So, no one cares that AoD has universal ammo?
Nobody cares because it's explained why it's universal right there in the fucking readme and why it was a good idea.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Joe Krow said:
Releasing a readme before the associated product is amateur hour. It's not encouraging.
Bitching for the sake of bitching? Showing the readme before the product is the entire point, aint it? The readme is for people who would want to read it first, before starting the game. It's a novelty concept, I know.

The purpose of the readme is to explain the rules. Therefore, the goal of this exercise is not to see if the descriptions are accurate but to see if they give you enough info and help you understand how things work.

obediah

Erudite
Fat Dragon said:
The Ticktockman said:
So, no one cares that AoD has universal ammo?
Nobody cares because it's explained why it's universal right there in the fucking readme and why it was a good idea.

The readme could also explain that 1+1=3, but that wouldn't make it true.

Dumbing down is dumbing down. Especially when the reasoning isn't any different than what has come before: "fewer types of ammo is easier" :thunderstruck!:

Which key do I hold when picking up lewt to auto-convert it to gold?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom