Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD site

Whipporowill

Erudite
Awesome. I'll do some criticizing in a few moments - some text layout stuff that you might want to consider. Just want to read it through first. :lol:

Great stuff! This is exactly the kind of info that makes the fanbois rejoice! Really looking forward to the game! Grifter is most definately my first career-choice.

But regarding the site, how about tuning down the contrast on the text/backround? Make the background less black, or the text not-so-fucking-white. After reading everything, my eyes started to bleed.

Edit: teh grammer

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Eh. I don't based my opinions on games on how much Like someone. if I did, I wouldn't be buying NWN2 because Atari are scumbags. Besides, I like VD, so even if it was a 'popualrity contest'; I'd still be biased in favor of the game.

Hell, I'd buy a game from the one who shot me 10 ten times if I thought the game would be great! :shock:

Jora

Arcane
Very nice! I love the skill descriptions ("always a winner in a post-apocalyptic world!") and I think the site does a very good job explaining the setting in an intriguing way.

Problems I noticed:

* The font in the game is hard to read
* The RPGDot interview needs a link (edit: it doesn't seem to be online yet...)

Llyranor

Liturgist
The art up on the site is simply awesome. You should put more of it in the game instead of relying solely on 3d assets.

Whipporowill

Erudite
* Overall: Font! Fonts with "feet" (I don't remember the correct term in english at the top of my head) are not as readable online as in print. Reconsider. Verdana and arial are example of the type that works, your webguy probably knows what I'm referring to. Too many words per line - approx 10 words/ 60 characters is what the human mind can cope with online! Background shouldn't be black - hurts the eyes. Black font on parchment or limestone would be better!

* Startpage: Smaller fontsize, bullet points!

* World: Quotationmarks. It's a story being told, or from an ancient manuscript - right?

* Character/faction: The text should be indented so that assassin has no text below it, rather than hangs for itself and all the text is a block next to it. Same with Factions.

*Skills - seriously, some kind of skill icons or screenshot would help to break off the monotony of a long page.

Basically, the two biggest problems I see are the font and the text background. The rest is just minor niggles. Good work anyway... :)

Llyranor

Liturgist
There are several themes. One is exploration of a post-apocalyptic world: crumbling towns, devastated areas, abandoned facilities, lost knowledge and purpose, powerful relics of another age, and a new society, no longer bound by the artificial rules of civilized worlds.

Another theme is exploration of the past. We've taken an important event in the past related to the present, and run it through a game of Broken Telephone, where details are changed and added as the story passes through many storytellers and generations. Now the player is given a chance - it's optional - to piece the original story together, by comparing different accounts and looking for earlier records, trying to separate the truth from the myth.

I like.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
From the "World" section:

"And all the people fled from the ships of the kindom of Q'antaar, which had crossed the sea, inferring every kind of punishment upon the people of Lakia."

So, I know 2 senses of the word "infer": 1) derive from premises and 2) suggest, hint ("Are you inferring I'm incompetent?"). I've just discovered the second one thanks to a dictionary. Is it the one used in the sentence? It's a bit confusing to me. So, does it mean they didn't inflict any punishment yet, and were only a potential threat?

edit: PS. I like the font.

Whipporowill

Erudite
1. To conclude from evidence or premises.
2. To reason from circumstance; surmise: We can infer that his motive in publishing the diary was less than honorable.
3. To lead to as a consequence or conclusion: "Socrates argued that a statue inferred the existence of a sculptor" Academy.
4. To hint; imply.

I'd say #3 is what VD's aiming for.

elwro said:
PS. I like the font.

Shush! You don't know what you're talking about... :lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Whipporowill said:
*Skills - seriously, some kind of skill icons or screenshot would help to break off the monotony of a long page.
I guess that was the voice of the new generation. Dude! What's with all the text? Can't you like use some pictures or icons? Voice-over? Cartoons?

Just kidding, Whip. Your criticism is duly noted. We had a scroll background, but it looked kinda busy. Will try to fix the rest though when I have time.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Ok, I got one criticism...

When did the word 'the' enter to the tile? It makes it weaker and I much prefer AOD; not TAOD.

The Age of Decadence isn't as 'cool' as Age of Decadence. I'm talking the web page title; not neccesarily the game title has been changed.

:twisted:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Whipporowill said:
1. To conclude from evidence or premises.
2. To reason from circumstance; surmise: We can infer that his motive in publishing the diary was less than honorable.
3. To lead to as a consequence or conclusion: "Socrates argued that a statue inferred the existence of a sculptor" Academy.
4. To hint; imply.

I'd say #3 is what VD's aiming for.
You can thank Section8 for using them smart words with obscure meanings (scroll down a bit)

Whipporowill

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Whipporowill said:
I guess that was the voice of the new generation. Dude! What's with all the text? Can't you like use some pictures or icons? Voice-over? Cartoons?

Rather the voice of the old generation with rheumy eyes. "When I was young we'd read books if we wanted to read this much text... ":lol: Oh, and cartoons are nice, you can never get to many cartoons. Yes. Uh-huh.

Llyranor

Liturgist
Hmm, reading through the site, my interest has grown even more. When's the ETA, dawg?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Bah. Next time, warn me of these important and earth shattering changes. :D

I could have set you all straight. Ah well. In the grand scheme of things, 'the' or non 'the' is not that important.

That's what i get for not reading every thread. <>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom