Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AoD: What do you think of TEH GRAFIKS?

What do you think of the graphics?

• I can't play a game that looks so awful (1/10)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The graphics are bad, but I've seen worse (3/10)

• The graphics are ok (5/10)

• I can't explain it but I actually like the graphics (7/10)

• Total voters

Avé

Liturgist
Graphics look fine, the camera angle is pants though.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Avè said:
Graphics look fine, the camera angle is pants though.

Agree, it also seems to have some sort of a fish-eye effect noticeable the further away you look from the center. I noticed a similar thing in gothic 2.

feta

Novice
YOU ^(*(^(*32$^%$@

That wording of the first two phrases made me think as if the game was out and I started clicking around in panic.

Don't do this to me man...

As for the subject, I don't really care about the graphics. Actually, the less graphics the game has the more I use my imagination in a subconsious level.
Some of my best RPG days and the shinies memories of a location come from MUD.

aries202

Erudite
HI :)

The graphics/visuals are OK.

I've seen worse graphics this year (in a new game)
and better graphics (also in a new game).

However, I sort of like the cartoony feel in a computer game. IMHO, makes it much better
and easier realizing that you're playing a game.
If I want a game to remind me of real life, I would just live my life, not play (computer) games.

To me, at least, the story, the characters,
and the interaction between the characters
are far better than developing nice visuals.
(Like nice visuals as much as the next one, but in an rg it really should be the story, the characters and so that stand out).

aries202

Cruces

Novice
I voted for 7/10 (would have been 10/10 if you put the option) cause for me it never was about the graphics it's been about the gameplay and AoD promises a lot on that front
All I ever want from the graphics is to be good enough, that means they don't have to be super duper sparkly and allow you to see the grimace when the third actor that passes for two seconds through the screen farts. But I don't want blobs that just move around, I believe that you guys are above my minimum standards (yes I would buy the game even if the graphics were worse probably) and that's good enough for me

Excrément

Arbiter
Cruces said:
I voted for 7/10 (would have been 10/10 if you put the option) cause for me it never was about the graphics it's been about the gameplay and AoD promises a lot on that front
All I ever want from the graphics is to be good enough, that means they don't have to be super duper sparkly and allow you to see the grimace when the third actor that passes for two seconds through the screen farts. But I don't want blobs that just move around, I believe that you guys are above my minimum standards (yes I would buy the game even if the graphics were worse probably) and that's good enough for me

The perfect AoD fanboy!!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Cruces said:
Thanks, Cruces. Welcome to the forums.

The_Pope

Scholar
Cruces said:

So you're saying the graphics are perfect simply because you don't care about them? That seems like bizarre logic.

galsiah

Erudite
The perfect AoD fanboy!!
He's got some ground to make up on quasimodo:
quasimodo said:
So I will say this to VD. I will buy this game when it comes out. If I like this game enough to finish it and start up another game and finish it back to back I will send you the price of the game. I will keep doing this as long as the game is worth replaying because you will deserve my money a Hell of lot more than the clowns I have been giving it to for games that I couldn't stand to play through once.

Vault Dweller

Developer
@ The Pope:

Not really (I'm not defending AoD's graphics, but the point of view). It depends on one's preferences. Some people think that Oblivion's graphics are awesome, some people think that they sucked (animations, distance, faces, etc) and only Project Offset is the example of true visual ownage. I think that Baldur's Gate 2 graphics were amazing and it was one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen (10/10), while someone else may think that they are dated and deserve only 7/10 these days. Etc.

Avé

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
@ The Pope:

Not really (I'm not defending AoD's graphics, but the point of view). It depends on one's preferences. Some people think that Oblivion's graphics are awesome, some people think that they sucked (animations, distance, faces, etc) and only Project Offset is the example of true visual ownage. I think that Baldur's Gate 2 graphics were amazing and it was one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen (10/10), while someone else may think that they are dated and deserve only 7/10 these days. Etc.
You didnt respond to the pope at all, Cruces said he would have given the graphics a 10/10 because he didnt care about them, you responded to that by saying that people like different kinds of graphics, which seems like a non sequitur.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The less you care, the higher your rate is, which explains why Oblivion is adored by non-RPG players who think it's an RPG. Look at the poll in this thread, some people think the game is unplayable because the graphics are so horrible, and some people think they are pretty good. What's the difference? Different degree of care about the graphics.

quasimodo

Augur
Not AOD fanboy yet...only a potential fanboy. My post was really meant to motivate VD to make a replable game. The more I replay it the more I will pay him. I replay games for the tactical TB combat, interesting and varied character creation, choices in problem solving, etc. I have never replayed a game for the graphics.

Veracity

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
...some people think the game is unplayable because the graphics are so horrible, and some people think they are pretty good. What's the difference? Different degree of care about the graphics.
I think you may be somewhat underplaying different priorities just within people's assessment of graphics, irrespective of how important they consider them compared to anything else - I thought Darwinia was beautiful, but ultra-realistic scenery usually leaves me cold. I use that example specifically because beauty was the only area in which I though Darwinia excelled - some people probably find it graphically offensive because it's so wilfully low-tech, but I loved its presentation, despite thinking everything else about it was mediocre.

Not that that's particularly significant - I think it usually boils down approximately to assessing graphics primarily as use of technology or aesthetically, the latter being inevitably more subjective and harder to pin down. Your commitment to making the game look as good as it can is encouraging (as noted some pages back, far fewer people will acknowledge being put off mainly by sub-par presentation than actually might be), but I don't think anyone doubts that you're being realistic about what's achievable given the resources you're working with.

Lumpy

Arcane
That people don't care about graphics doesn't make them any better. It just makes the graphics score have a lower weight in the overall score.

The_Pope

Scholar
One thing I would like to see concerning the graphics is a video of some combat. Oblivion showed that an entire dictionary of buzz words won't help unless you have good animation.

Avé

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
That people don't care about graphics doesn't make them any better. It just makes the graphics score have a lower weight in the overall score.
Exactly.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The_Pope said:
One thing I would like to see concerning the graphics is a video of some combat. Oblivion showed that an entire dictionary of buzz words won't help unless you have good animation.
We've posted a lot of animations, enough to form an opinion.

Cruces

Novice
The_Pope said:
Cruces said:

So you're saying the graphics are perfect simply because you don't care about them? That seems like bizarre logic.

no I'm not saying that, every person wants different things in a game, some people prefer sparkly graphics , others like to hear amazing sound, I just stated that I don't really mind about those, my priority when playing a game is the gameplay, I would much rather play a game with great gameplay and mediocre graphics than the other way around. It's sorta like the FIFA vs ISSPro thingy.
However what I meant is that in order for a game to be playable it has to have some minimum standards for graphics, graphics may be my 25th priority when judging a game but it's still there...

I guess to sum up what I just wrote (for those too bored to read my incoherent mumblings) I'm not very picky graphics-wise d: (and yes I'm a reverse-smileyer)

The_Pope

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
We've posted a lot of animations, enough to form an opinion.

I've seen a few where there was just a guy in a blank screen swinging at the air, which did seem pretty good but I would like to see some actual gameplay. Have any in game videos been posted?

Cruces:
I'm not saying AoDs are anywhere close to unplayably bad, but when compared with modern AAA games there's no way it gets a 10.

Lumpy

Arcane
Cruces said:
no I'm not saying that, every person wants different things in a game, some people prefer sparkly graphics , others like to hear amazing sound, I just stated that I don't really mind about those, my priority when playing a game is the gameplay, I would much rather play a game with great gameplay and mediocre graphics than the other way around. It's sorta like the FIFA vs ISSPro thingy.
However what I meant is that in order for a game to be playable it has to have some minimum standards for graphics, graphics may be my 25th priority when judging a game but it's still there...

I guess to sum up what I just wrote (for those too bored to read my incoherent mumblings) I'm not very picky graphics-wise d: (and yes I'm a reverse-smileyer)
Right. Neither are we. But AoD's graphics are inferior to Fallout's, Planescape's, Baldur's Gate's, etc. That's not important, but still.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom