Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Apocalypse Now RPG by Monty Markland - terminated with extreme prejudice!

Ninjerk

Arcane
This Markland guy is a carnival barker lmao

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
This Markland guy is a carnival barker lmao

"STEP right up ladies and gentlemen, DON'T be shy, I stumbled drunk into my old VHS cabinet in the living room closet last year and then it HIT ME! Hit me RIGHT on the head, yes sir, my old Apocalypse Now videocassette hit me RIGHT on the noggin, and RIGHT THEN I knew I'd found the perfect IP to milk for crowdbux!

"STEP right on up and see the NOSTALGIA, just two bits, two measly bits for a handshake from me, twenty bits to get in and SEE the NOSTALGIA! Twenty bits, or if you're up (and when you're up, you're UP), if you're a high roller, a hundred bits gets you a behind-the-ropes extra-long look at the nostalgia, and a plaque on the tent wall that'll travel with the Dingdong Bros. Carnival everywhere!

"Step RIGHT up! Step on up and be a part of the energy of Apocalypse Now! Step right on up here, you'll feel like you're watching wacky young Laurence Fishburne groove and talk jive! You'll feel as though your hands are squeezing a pair of delicate, aristocratic French titties! You'll smell smoking gookflesh, and you'll roast in the humid tropical heat!

"Anyone? Anyone...? Well, uh... uh... OH, MY GOD! A onetime acquaintance of the man who directed this decades-old moviefilm diddled a little boy thirty years ago, but Mr. Coppola won't go on record and personally involve himself in the shitstorm! Sorry folks, but solely for this reason and for no others, the show is over. NO REFUNDS!"

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
If anyone would like to start a kickstater scam with me, please pm. There seem to be absolutely no legal repercussions to taking people's money and giving no final product in return; these gullible fools are too eager to give their money away so long as long as we throw some buzzwords like "open world," "rpg elements" around and show some flashy concept art.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He did not actually get any money I'm pretty sure. The Kickstarter failed, and his crowdfunding site was set up like Kickstarter - no money taken until goal is reached.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
He did not actually get any money I'm pretty sure. The Kickstarter failed, and his crowdfunding site was set up like Kickstarter - no money taken until goal is reached.

The target was $900,000 which was absurdly high for a project by some no-name developer, and Apocalypse Now isn't really a draw for anyone under the age of 40. Barkley 2, another successful kickstarter scam, had more name recognition and a cult status and they still set their bar on the lower end with 35k, which ended up becoming 125k. I would similarly set my target low but put up a bunch of stretch goals. Or just use indiegogo.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Oh how much "shit", "retard", "edgy" etc ratings I got in this thread, because I called out this project for being wrong on everything, from the choice of tech, to the staff, to the design document, etc. Everything screamed amateurish shit and irresponsible decision making.

ITT Bester the Master Game Designer who knows everything there is to know

What do you have to say now, huh?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This game was ill-conceived from the beginning, and I never expected it to be completed, but I am surprised into turned into such a total shitshow. Let me get this straight. The developer suddenly announces on the site that he's quitting because he just discovered that Francis Ford Coppola is a really bad person. He's just utterly shocked at that, because nothing in Coppola's life before now would give him any hint of that. And then the next day the site gets taken down. Did I miss anything?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Bester Feels good, doesn't it?

I really didn't know much about the game, myself. The only reason I even visited this thread to begin with was to see why Mustawd had a meltdown and popped the top. I had no dog in or out of the fight here.

Now that the thread has delivered a second helping of steaming-hot tasty drama, I've actually been looking at some of the material (at least, whatever hasn't been yanked down/flatlined), and the IP-dropping in the Kickstarter page was beyond belief. It reminds me of those "movie picture books" that I'd find in the public library as a kid. They covered a particular classic or contemporary movie, and were filled with still images alongside succinct contextual descriptions of what was being portrayed in a paragraph or two on every other page. I have no idea what that esoteric genre of books is called, but I'm sure it's gone the way of the dodo in today's world of instant streaming entertainment.

Yeah, once upon a time (even up to the 1980s and early 1990s), going to the movies was so rad that kids would fucking read picture books about movies they hadn't seen and DREAM of seeing them for real. I was one of those kids. My mother was a damn censor who refused to let me see anything that wasn't age-appropriate... except for things like Schindler's List, because they were deemed educational. :lol:

Interestingly, the Apocalypse Now Kickstarter page seems to have been de-listed from Google. I ended up finding the Codex news post thread and using the link there instead, although I suppose I could have tried Kickstarter's own search function. Which reminds me, I'm supposed to be using Duck Duck Go instead, and have slipped back into a bad habit.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Bester Feels good, doesn't it?
I got zero schadenfreude from this.

I'm currently working on a gamedev project where everything is headed to failure and the more I informed the management of this, the more I was dismissed. Nowadays they don't even want to hear me talk about anything, they just want me to work in silence.

So I stopped talking. I'm living my Cassandra's curse to the fullest IRL. I'm stressed and tired from this shit, is all.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Kilgore's best line from the movie (all of them are the best, but the best of the best) was "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!".

imweasel

ITT Bester the Master Game Designer who knows everything there is to know
What do you have to say now, huh?
1zn12y.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I just got the scoop from Mustawd. He'd already seen this thread. He's "not surprised," he "laughed," he thought the game was weird and inappropriate and shouldn't have ever been conceived, and he thought that the virtue-signaling and nonsense about Rose McGowan were bizarre and out of place.

He also says he "just wanted to get away from the Codex lately in general" and "too much internet."

That's the news from Lake Wobegon. I'm just glad we now live in a world in which gamedevs can use Hollywood celebrities raping each other as an excuse to bail out of their doomed projects. It's far more entertaining than the usual pitifully transparent PR-speak phone-ins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom