Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Arcadian Atlas: FFT/Tactics Ogre inspired RPG

Drowed

Arcane
It's times like these that I'm sad to be poor in a third world country. 17USD is about 60BRL right now, it's more than a third of all the money I have left in my hand after paying all monthly bills - it's money that ends up weighing in my pocket. It's sad that I can't help it right now, but the game sounds even better than what I thought in the beginning.

I hope that it somehow reaches the goal.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
The Kickstarter page itself is well-made too, now that I'm actually looking past the game info and the tiers.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Aren't the last couple days usually pretty explosive in terms of new backers?

Drowed

Arcane

Yeah, but the "boom" is generally proportional to the number of backers until then, unless something spectacular happens.

By the way, how is that "Kick it Forward" initiative, of Fargo? Did it served for something beyond promises? This game deserved a good kick right now.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I think you just have to add your own game on that site and that's all you can do.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Yes, but I think it also depends on how likely it seems that the KS will succeed. Should have done a figstarter, where mysterious last day donations appear :D

Drowed

Arcane
I don't think that the burnout is real, but more like, the game hasn't gained much attention anywhere.

"Chronicles of Elyria" reached $520,036 with 28 days to go. Never heard of this effing thing before. This RPG Book here (Rifts), $261,234. So it's not as if people aren't actively participating in kickstarter, but just what kind of thing they are deciding to spend their money on. And on second thought, I don't see any big JRPGs there. WRPGs, we had a lot, but JRPGs? It seems that the number of fans of this type of game decreased considerably in recent years, or they're simply not willing to spend their money on this for some reason.

breakfast

Arcadian Atlas Developer
Developer
I think it might also have to do with the huge disappointment of Unsung Story so soon before our KS launch. Similar type of game and people are hurt from that experience. That in conjunction with the fact we have no demo maybe makes people feel worried we are another Unsung Story, just on a much smaller scale?
Not sure 100% what went wrong with our campaign this time around but I will be writing up an in-depth post mortem to hopefully help bring the community into what happened, maybe what went wrong, and how we can work to ensure our next round of Kickstarter doesn't end the same way. All in all though it has been an excellent dry run to see roughly where we stand in the KS/indie dev circle. Just had to fail in front of everyone to get here!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And on second thought, I don't see any big JRPGs there. WRPGs, we had a lot, but JRPGs? It seems that the number of fans of this type of game decreased considerably in recent years, or they're simply not willing to spend their money on this for some reason.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians <- Which may have really harmed other FFT-like Kickstarters like this one.

There have been fairly high profile JRPG Kickstarters. Like the aforementioned Unsung Story or Project Phoenix or Shenmue; plus a few in the $100-200,000 range, too. There has been no JRPG KS success story yet, though, which might also be a factor that harms further JRPG KS projects.

EDIT: breakfast beat me to it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fact that Regalia and Children of the Zodiarc also finished recently (successfully, especially in the second case, a lot) might have also contributed. The "SJRPG" Crowd might have had a bit too much at once.
It really sucks though, I would love to see Arcadian Atlas come to life. Dont give up breakfast !

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just personal opinion, but 20 bucks seems a bit high a threshold for this kind of small scale - unknown indie dev game and probably keeps impulse backers away. I am only willing to give more than twenty at bigger projects by established devs. For 'risky' projects or stuff where I am on the edge I usually stay under twenty. Maybe there should have been more 17, 15 or perhaps even 12 tiers. I assume twenty is kinda a psychological line for many.

Still backed this cause Codex posting dev bonus.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Not sure 100% what went wrong with our campaign this time around ...

I think the campaign itself is actually very good, but the goal of $90.000 USD seems to be a little bit too high for a team of two unknown garage developers. And you already collected $60.000 USD which attests the great talent and spirit of your game.

Unfortunately, you can't ask for realistic budgets on Kickstarter nowadays, better ask for 50% and see what you can get above your goal.

breakfast

Arcadian Atlas Developer
Developer

This just in:
Booker DeWitt & Elizabeth (BioShock infinite) are coming to Arcadian Atlas!

narutolp.gif

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have never backed an unsuccessful Kickstarter before, so I figure this one still has a chance.

Ninjerk

Arcane
What is it they've gotten in the last two days, 20000 dollar or summat? Booker mcstupidgame made me wince a little bit, but I may yet kick my 20 dollars in or whatever the plain digital tier is.

Drowed

Arcane
dailypledges.png

Well, if they don't get more today than what they got yesterday (that needs to be more than what the campaign could get even in its launch), they won't make it, sadly.

For comparison, see the "boom" of the last day of other games:

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

It's possible, but... Not likely.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Right now, the pledges are increasing with $1000 USD per hour, so, with 15 hours left it could still succeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom