Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Arcania: Gothic 4 Reviews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Gothic 4: Arcania; JoWood Productions

<p>Let's take a look at how Gothic 4 has been received so far.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://www.nowgamer.com/reviews/xbox-360/9474/arcania-a-gothic-tale" target="_blank">NowGamer scores it 4.9/10</a>, mostly because of <em>stats, quests, swords, magic and loads of exploring, </em>this stuff doesn't belong into any modern RPG apparently.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>But while perusing the info there&rsquo;s something you should know about the Arcania series of games: they are universally considered to be rubbish. Gothic 4 doesn&rsquo;t really buck this trend, but it at least has made a few changes that make this the best the series has ever been, but that&rsquo;s not really saying much.</p>
<p>Gothic 4&rsquo;s narrative is as clich&eacute;d as they come: young, reluctant hero, wise old guide, an evil blight and the customary coming of age story. No sooner does the game open, with you taking up the role of a powerful but admittedly mental king, than you&rsquo;re shoved straight into the rags of a Shepard who has no redeeming features. Presumably, so that he can indulge in that lovely levelling up and grinding that these RPGs insist you do.</p>
<p>One of Gothic 4&rsquo;s major problems is its adherence to the old-school setup &ndash; stats, quests, swords, magic and loads of exploring. Which wouldn&rsquo;t be so bad if the frame rate wasn&rsquo;t horrendous, the combat dull and awkward, and the map system practically illegible &ndash; not to mention the truly embarrassing acting and character design.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Well despite all the shortcomings and the abysmal score Arcania still seems to be the best of all Gothic games. One should always try to focus on the positive aspects. I congratulate NowGamer to their choice of a reviewer, it's no small feat to find such a clown.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://holdstartselect.com/pc-review-arcania-gothic-4/" target="_blank">Hold Start Select gave a 6.5/10</a> and basically all things they mentioned were disappointing, except they got hooked anyway because the game doesn't require thinking. Good to know where your priorities lie.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Where Gothic 4 does excel though is in its ability to get you hooked. With a&nbsp;simple and functional style of play, you don&rsquo;t have to think, and the game is not at all hard. Maybe a few levels will challenge you but not many. Gothic 4 is in essence a dungeon basher, and it will have you hooked and churning through missions even if just to get through to the next area so you can explore more of the landscape.</p>
<p>And I must say it looks good, very good in fact. The landscape seamlessly rolls in front of you as you progress, only needing to load between cutscenes, which makes the hours roll past as you mindlessly hack apart various bugs and goblins.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Ah, OK. The game also looks good. Very good in fact. At least one RPG element done right. Duh!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>And finally Hooked Gamers <a href="http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/arcania_gothic_4/review/article-605.html" target="_blank">dish out a score of 6.9/10</a>, pondering the lack of an indian tone map.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>It's over. I win. I've revealed every area of the map, crawled into every cave, and accepted every menial task - at least every one I could find. <em>ArcaniA</em> was interesting and a little exciting during the final hour or two, once the main quests became more story-driven and ancillary concerns disappeared. Still, I don't think sixteen hours of drudgery is worth two good hours. <br /> <br /> Maybe drudgery is too harsh. What Spellbound did, it did with polish. It executed the RPG genre's most basic mechanics well. Every object in the game is meticulously detailed and all the interfaces are easy to use. Not once did the game crash, and I never encountered a broken quest or even an errant pixel. <br /> <br /> But I also never encountered a memorable moment. I never experienced an epic battle or even felt challenged. I started out with the purpose of avenging my murdered family, and then I succeeded. Everything in between seems so inconsequential and forgettable. <br /> <br /> Sadly, the most interesting thing about <em>ArcaniA: Gothic 4</em> is its tone maps.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>If you don't like thinking you might want to pick up this game asap. It's got electrolytes.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100121-arcania-gothic-4-reviews.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Angthoron

Arcane
Oh, so the family does get wiped out. Surprise and shock, how can we have a computer game character without a tragic past?

Also, ArcaniA doesn't look good. That's a horrible lie. Risen looks and runs better.

Ruprekt

Scholar
But while perusing the info there’s something you should know about the Arcania series of games: they are universally considered to be rubbish. Gothic 4 doesn’t really buck this trend, but it at least has made a few changes that make this the best the series has ever been, but that’s not really saying much.

No Codex troll will ever match this.

Angthoron

Arcane
Umm, but the dude is (unintentionally) correct here. Arcania: Gothic 4 is:

1) The first and best of games in the Arcania series.
2) Universally considered rubbish
3) Doesn't buck its own trend

What's wrong? I mean, it's not actually called Gothic 4, that's just the subtitle. :M

Phelot

Arcane
Oh man that first review... :lol: You'd think that guy would be embarrassed

Deleted member 7219

Ruprekt said:
But while perusing the info there’s something you should know about the Arcania series of games: they are universally considered to be rubbish. Gothic 4 doesn’t really buck this trend, but it at least has made a few changes that make this the best the series has ever been, but that’s not really saying much.

No Codex troll will ever match this.

Reminds me of when Oblivion came out and someone came up to me and asked, "Have you played Morrowind 4 yet?".

Achilles

Arcane
I would like to propose a change to the Codex's current smiley line-up: Replace the : retarded : smiley with the Nowgamer reviewer's face.I'm sure Racofer could come up with a really cool rendition but I'm not high-level enough to cast the "summon Racofer" spell.

Silellak

Cipher
Angthoron said:
Umm, but the dude is (unintentionally) correct here. Arcania: Gothic 4 is:

1) The first and best of games in the Arcania series.
2) Universally considered rubbish
3) Doesn't buck its own trend

What's wrong? I mean, it's not actually called Gothic 4, that's just the subtitle. :M
:bro:

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
"I’m a games journalist working on 360 magazine, I’ve also written for Gamestm, Play, X360 and HD Review and totally freaking in love with....(inter change game here)"

Game played at the moment:
Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Transformers: War For Cybertron Lego Harry Potter
Gaming for:
20 years
Speciality:
FPS
Snr Staff Writer, 360 Magazine

Too bad his brain is still that of a 6 year old.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
VentilatorOfDoom said:
NowGamer scores it 4.9/10, mostly because of stats, quests, swords, magic and loads of exploring, this stuff doesn't belong into any modern RPG apparently.

Gothic 4’s narrative is as clichéd as they come: young, reluctant hero, wise old guide, an evil blight and the customary coming of age story. No sooner does the game open, with you taking up the role of a powerful but admittedly mental king, than you’re shoved straight into the rags of a Shepard who has no redeeming features. Presumably, so that he can indulge in that lovely levelling up and grinding that these RPGs insist you do.
One of Gothic 4’s major problems is its adherence to the old-school setup – stats, quests, swords, magic and loads of exploring. Which wouldn’t be so bad if the frame rate wasn’t horrendous, the combat dull and awkward, and the map system practically illegible – not to mention the truly embarrassing acting and character design.

Well despite all the shortcomings and the abysmal score Arcania still seems to be the best of all Gothic games. One should always try to focus on the positive aspects. I congratulate NowGamer to their choice of a reviewer, it's no small feat to find such a clown.

HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg

nFn

Educated
Looks like we are gonna see it in GoG for 9.99 pretty soon ;)

Angthoron

Arcane
:bro:

I have to wonder how that thing passes for a review, anyway, and how competent their editor has to be to just let that slide and ignore all the comments. Then again, could be they're all writers there, not one of them is an actual reader. A crowd of monkies with a typewriter, each taking a swing at creative genius.

This is why creative writing classes in colleges have to be outlawed - any idiot receiving an A+ for his Sponge Bob essay applies to be a journalist now.

What's really funny is that Herp Derp Age: Origin, and indeed almost every Bioware game ever, involves the very clichés one of those reviewers loathe.

Vibalist

Arcane
Stereotypical Villain said:
What's really funny is that Herp Derp Age: Origin, and indeed almost every Bioware game ever, involves the very clichés one of those reviewers loathe.

This is what is infuriating about game reviews these days, those double standards. Nobody criticised Oblivion for it's terrible and clichéed story, yet as soon as something comes along that's not an "AAA" title, it's fair game to criticise all these aspects.

Arcania probably deserves a 4.5, but then you check out the reviewer's profile and see that he's currently playing DOA and you're all wtf and :x and shit because wtf man.

fuck.

nFn

Educated
hoverdog said:
nFn said:
Looks like we are gonna see it in GoG for 9.99 pretty soon ;)
Good old games?
:x
nowadays It's neither good nor old
I wouldnt be surprised if they have the entire joWood shovelware catalog in a year or two

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Yep, 9.4/10 for DA:O. r00fles!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Vibalist said:

This is what is infuriating about game reviews these days, those double standards. Nobody criticised Oblivion for it's terrible and clichéed story, yet as soon as something comes along that's not an "AAA" title, it's fair game to criticise all these aspects.

Arcania probably deserves a 4.5, but then you check out the reviewer's profile and see that he's currently playing DOA and you're all wtf and :x and shit because wtf man.

fuck.

They are brided. This is obvious, and the reason you should never read a "review" by these "magazines".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom