Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum High Resolution Patch Version 1.5 Release

Dr Gast

Literate
It's not much, basically just the character sheet background and the various maps (e.g. Thorvald's map of the location of the Wheel CLan) that use the logbook/written UI, 6 files in total.

Maybe I should wait for it to continue my installation and tutorial fixes. Unless it will take you too long.

Hey, did you know that the actual v.09 UAP is not compatible with french version, aka the french disks version ? (Gog version is ok)
I had to extract the files from the .exe, for those (dinosaurs) who only have disks.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
It's not much, basically just the character sheet background and the various maps (e.g. Thorvald's map of the location of the Wheel CLan) that use the logbook/written UI, 6 files in total.

Maybe I should wait for it to continue my installation and tutorial fixes. Unless it will take you too long.

Hey, did you know that the actual v.09 UAP is not compatible with french version, aka the french disks version ? (Gog version is ok)
I had to extract the files from the .exe, for those (dinosaurs) who only have disks.
The UAP is English only, it refuses to install on non-English versions on purpose.

Dr Gast

Literate
- So, is it wrong to exctract the files to put them with disks version ? Does it cause bugs ? Do I have to tell people not to do it ?

- When do you think you could update the high-res patch with UI localization ?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
- So, is it wrong to exctract the files to put them with disks version ? Does it cause bugs ? Do I have to tell people not to do it ?
You never noticed that it contains several hundred English language dialog and mes files?

When do you think you could update the high-res patch with UI localization ?
It's all ready, I'll upload it to the same link as the OP once I'm sober. Tomorrow maybe?

Dr Gast

Literate
You never noticed that it contains several hundred English language dialog and mes files?
I know UAP is not for playing in french, but we have a french translation for it (UAP).
- installing french disk version
- installing uap (exctracted)
- installing french uap translation
When i tried, and played a bit, it looked ok.

Maybe I misunderstood something...
Otherwise, did I have to tell french people, when they want to use our french translation, that they have to to use UAP with english and GoG version ONLY ?

Sorry for all these questions ; if I wrote a tutorial, this is because I think this game is hard to install properly. And language does not help.

It's all ready, I'll upload it to the same link as the OP once I'm sober. Tomorrow maybe?
Great. It's the break time !

Althorion

Learned
Do you still work on it (and therefore require testing and screenshots), or is the project dropped? I have a free weekend, so it’s either this or Battle Brothers.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Do you still work on it (and therefore require testing and screenshots), or is the project dropped? I have a free weekend, so it’s either this or Battle Brothers.
Sure, why not, report bugs if you can find any. This version is p stable.

Consider it a challenge.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Updated the patch with support for German, French and Russian UI graphics. The download link is the same.

There are no other changes, so no need to re-download if you're running the English version of the game.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Not sure how many people are using this, but it'd be cool to update the official high resolution patch page with some good looking 1080p screenshots, preferably in PNG.

Just sayin'.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
GOG version + Official French Language Pack + High Resolution Patch 1.5 set to French:
(As you can see the new size 18 font supports French just fine)
dnH4jEy.png

tQoqnwW.jpg

kfQY9jR.png

Dr Gast

Literate
Hello,
High-Res patch 1.5 installed, it works for me with w7 64bits.

1)
GOG version + Official French Language Pack + High Resolution Patch 1.5 set to French:
Language = 2 // 0 = English, 1 = German, 2 = French, 3 = Russian
I dont' see many difference between patch 1.5 set to french (2) or english (0). These UI things where in french already with the hand-crafted "french pack" ; that i shared here.
The ONLY different things i could find (english --> french) :

Is that what you expected ?

2)
Also, can you please explain Graphic & Advanced Settings ? Imagine that I am a child (because of the language and technicality).

Windowed = 0 // 0 = fullscreen mode, 1 = windowed mode ok
Renderer = 1 // 0 = software, 1 = hardware ok (-no3d ; ready for w7 & older.)
DoubleBuffer = 1 // 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled (unless windowed) ok (-doublebuffer ; ready for w7 & older.)
DDrawWrapper = 0 // 1 = install DDrawCompat wrapper replace 0 with 1. for w8 & 10 ?
ShowFPS = 0 // 0 = no change, 1 = always enabled ok

//Advanced:
ScrollFPS = 60 // original: 35, max: 255 ?
ScrollDist = 30 // original: 10, infinite: 0 Range where you can click around the main character ?
PreloadLimit = 60 // original: 30 tiles, max: 255 What's the point ?
BroadcastLimit = 20 // original: 10 tiles, max 255 What is it exactly ?
Logos = 1 // 0 = skip Sierra/Troika logos ok
Intro = 1 // 0 = skip the main menu intro clip ok

3)
Arcanun won't launch and crash when set to windowed mode. Tried with doublebuffer disabled, still crashing.

4)
Is it right to run -install.bat each time i make a change, without uninstalling it before ?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Dr Gast
You ask too many questions, and I've already written about all of these things, either here in this thread or the ReadMe file supplied with the patch.

Sorry, I'm not really good at this customer service thing.

Dr Gast

Literate
I read the whole readme...

scrolling distance is no longer patched to be smaller, and both scrolling distance and scrolling FPS can now be configured in the config file.
-- The DDrawCompat wrapper is included in the patch and can be optionally installed, recommended for Windows 8/10 users.
ok.

But I couldn't find all the answers.
Wich term is used for that ? "Range where you can click around the main character"

Note that part 3 is not a question.
Part 4, mmmh just to be sure, but silly question, my bad.

Come on mate, it's hard with technic & english at the same time. I am the guy who have to explain the whole thing to other frenchies, less talented than me !

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Dr Gast,

The Language var in the High Resolution Patch affects the graphics that add bordering. There's about 40 files patched in total, but only 6-7 of them are language dependent. The French files include the character sheet background, Tarant map, Wheel Clan map, Stringy Pete's Cove map, Qintarra map and The Place of Lost Voices map.

The PreloadLimit var controls how far away from the player (in tiles) an object has to be for the engine to turn it "off". Basically outside this range the AI, scripts, animations etc are disabled. The original value was 30 tiles, which is not enough at high resolutions (especially with the infinite scrolling distance), so I've bumped it up to 60. Higher values (especially 150 or more) would incur heavy performance hits.

BroadcastLimit controls how far away from the player (in tiles) a party member has to be to not listen to the player's commands anymore.

The windowed mode is using old disabled Troika's code, so its compatibility might not be very high, but it works fine for me on Windows 10.

Last edited:

Dr Gast

Literate
The Language var in the High Resolution Patch affects the graphics that add bordering. There's about 40 files patched, altogether, but only 6-7 of them are language dependent. The French files include the character sheet background, Tarant map, Wheel Clan map, Stringy Pete's cove map, Qintarra map, The Place of Lost voices map.
Oh right ! I need to play more to see that.

The PreloadLimit var controls how far away from the player (in tiles) an object has to be for the engine to turn it "off". Basically outside this range the AI, scripts, animations etc are disabled. The original value was 30 tiles, which is not enough at high resolutions (especially with the infinite scrolling distance), so I've bumped it up to 60. Higher values (especially 150 or more) would incur heavy performance hits.
Understood.

BroadcastLimit controls how far away from the player (in tiles) a party member has to be to not listen to the player's commands anymore.
OK.

Thank you very much.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I noticed a huge performance boost on Widows 10 -- finally able to play with hardware rendering, and no crashes for several hours (which wasn't the case with 1.4).

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom