Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Bros, I know this is a stupid question, but does it fix the problem with screen going black after the actual game starts (after the Zephyr crash CG movie)?
Use this DDraw wrapper. Put the ddraw.dll into your Arcanum folder.

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!
Bros, I know this is a stupid question, but does it fix the problem with screen going black after the actual game starts (after the Zephyr crash CG movie)?

Just tried it on my gog install, and it worked. Nevertheless I experienced some screen tearing issues when scrolling.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected

Just tried it on my gog install, and it worked. Nevertheless I experienced some screen tearing issues when scrolling.
Yeah, VSync seems to be fucked on some video card drivers.

If you still experience any lag or slowdown issues with this wrapper make sure to add the -doublebuffer command line argument to your Arcanum shortcut. No need for -no3d though, this wrapper can handle the original hardware renderer.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Arcanum needs:

• Fixed party NPC behaviour (elf chick not using area of effect damage spells to kill your own party, Virgil not spamming heal on a techie with 100% aptitude etc).
  • Fixed spell balance, I don't think this needs comment.
  • Later half (elves, desert, Vendigroth, jungle and whatnot) that isn't just empty maps with mobs and fetch/kill quests.
  • Not sure if that's possible, but controllable companions would make me donate you 700 virgin trannies or w/e is your preference.
:salute:

Last edited by a moderator:

Macbeth

Scholar
For clarification, you mean the upcoming version or is it already in? otherwise I seem to have missed it
793199fe753bd1c51952872b7f635a79.jpg

2848875cc723b6704e04adaf6841d763.png

Macbeth

Scholar
Mirthless, we found no nude NPC in Tarant.

No problems with cow. Maybe you use throwing weapons and hit someone accidentally?
Anyway, we need screens and saves. Provide please, otherwise we can't help you.

Mirthless

Educated
Mirthless, we found no nude NPC in Tarant.

No problems with cow. Maybe you use throwing weapons and hit someone accidentally?
Anyway, we need screens and saves. Provide please, otherwise we can't help you.

Sorry for the late response but here are some screenshots. I have to correct what I said in my post, the halflings were actually gnomes.
Cow bug (sorry for low quality kept trying to recreate this bug and didnt notice I had recorded it in such shit quality)
de50703de8.gif

Naked Gnome #1
d9ba6d4c8b.jpg

Naked Gnome #2
c395563dce.jpg

I killed him just to check his gear out and he had this item on him but no clothes.
2677a01d50.jpg

I'll PM you my corrupted savegames.

Macbeth

Scholar
OracleX, hmmm. Try to re-install the game and copy saves. I'll ask about compatiability...

Mirthless, this is normal with halflings. Some NPC don't have an armor, they have their own appearence. Example: Mr. Bates, elven guards in Quintarra, Doc Roberts and so on. This came from original. And these halflings dressed with beige jacket.

Last edited:

Poseidon

Educated
Sorry for the late response but here are some screenshots. I have to correct what I said in my post, the halflings were actually gnomes.
Cow bug (sorry for low quality kept trying to recreate this bug and didnt notice I had recorded it in such shit quality)
de50703de8.gif

Naked Gnome #1
d9ba6d4c8b.jpg

Naked Gnome #2
c395563dce.jpg

I killed him just to check his gear out and he had this item on him but no clothes.
2677a01d50.jpg

I'll PM you my corrupted savegames.

Mirthless, this is normal with halflings. Some NPC don't have an armor, they have their own appearence. Example: Mr. Bates, elven guards in Quintarra, Doc Roberts and so on. This came from original. And these halflings dressed with beige jacket.

Pretty sure they're naked and I think you can actually see why in the screenshots themselves. That item is most certainly not a "Small Simple Suit". That's one of them high-techie armors, "pyro-mega-tech-megatron battle-ready, gun-blazing, water-absorbent, oliophobic armor" or whatever it's called. And even though it says "small", I'm pretty sure a gnome wouldn't be able to wear that. Hence, naked gnomes. All you need now is some naked gnome females, and you got yourself a drunk "under the table" party!

Macbeth

Scholar
Pretty sure they're naked
Yes, sorry. They are naked on the screens. We've checked saves. Proto folder was deleted - we generate this issue to be sure. Or maybe Mirthless installed some mods.
Re-install the game and use your saves - you will see that everything works well. Please report afterwords.
Your saves:

88aaa6478082686b5fc8ad18b4290ca2.png

d1c69cc9169ac3218afacae6a18ed6d3.png

2f02d0bdda24e32228db2db31335a629.png

8c08d7b647eab7c9a00fd336a80c0788.png

Will take care of the cow.

Don't use any mods with Arcanum Multiverse Edition (AME).

We're pritty sure that there are NO сonspicuous/critical bugs in AME.

It would be very nice if everyone will report about bugs or "bugs" in PM.

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm currently playing a personal modded version of Arcanum (because I discovered only today about Multiverse Edition and I had to register to greet you for it).

I've got a few questions if you don't mind for the multiverse edition:

> Was the radius for npcs made better? Example: The bank inside 'shrouded hills'. I kill the girl, and sometimes the guards will notice her body, sometimes they won't. The issue is that I'm inside a building and the behaviour seems to happen even without the girl screaming.

> Is there a way to make party npc stop getting the litter from the floor? Even better, a script to check to not get them unless they are quest related.

> Given that the inventory tends to get pretty cluttered and tedous would it be a bad suggestion to add 'special containers' for herbs and tech?

> I read new quest content was added, but I'm unsure if it is russian or if the new content are just the english modules that comes with Arcanum integrated into the 'main' module.

Last but not least, thanks for the help.

Moderator, please merge this message with the previous one ♥

> can you add a way for the player to realize what is the maximum cap achievable for every stat (with or without background?)

> When browsing the character sheet, I frequently move the cursor upon the single stats to check what they are for: would it be hard to add what is the special benefit you get when reaching stat:20?

These are the various benefits:

Strength -- Double damage bonus
Dexterity -- Speed is 25 (+1 per point over 20)
Constitution -- Poison Immunity
Beauty -- Reaction Modifier is +100% (+10% over 20)
Intelligence -- +10% to the success rate of every Skill
Perception -- Sense invisible
Willpower -- Immune to any Spell resisted by Willpower
Charisma -- 100% loyalty: followers will never flee from your side and will only leave if you ask them to, never on their own accord

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
> Is there a way to make party npc stop getting the litter from the floor? Even better, a script to check to not get them unless they are quest related.
I was kinda bothered by it actually and managed to find the part in the code that controls this.

Should we just disable it altogether? Or maybe make the function check for extra flags, like if the NPC is a party member or some shit.

You can bait shopkeepers with hexed gloves or some other items that they will pick up, equip and die or lose consciousness, so that you can rob their shop hassle free. Does anyone want this exploit to stay?

I was kinda bothered by it actually and managed to find the part in the code that controls this.

Should we just disable it altogether? Or maybe make the function check for extra flags, like if the NPC is a party member or some shit.

You can bait shopkeepers with hexed gloves or some other items that they will pick up, equip and die or lose consciousness, so that you can rob their shop hassle free. Does anyone want this exploit to stay?

I will ask you another question. I've read that if you kill Lucan you can gain 1 fate point. If you persuade him you can gain 1 fate points. But after trying it yesterday, I wasn't able to get the 2x fate points. Did you remove the second fate point via the UOP? It was clearly an exploit.

If you did remove it, I would remove also the exploit of baiting shopkeepers for consistency reasons. If you didn't, I would give the whole thing a long thought.

To be honest, according to single character there should be a script checking for stuff.

I will give you an example: there is a girl inside dernholm that is a tech healer. That one, should get the plant litter on the floor, because she is clearly specializing for it. But the things can reach great extent and be greatly annoying if there were rules to be added for each single npc.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I will ask you another question. I've read that if you kill Lucan you can gain 1 fate point. If you persuade him you can gain 1 fate points. But after trying it yesterday, I wasn't able to get the 2x fate points. Did you remove the second fate point via the UOP? It was clearly an exploit.
Yea, the unofficial patch fixes this issue. If you persuade him to leave and then chase and kill him, you don't get another fate point. Seems logical.

To be honest, according to single character there should be a script checking for stuff.

I will give you an example: there is a girl inside dernholm that is a tech healer. That one, should get the plant litter on the floor, because she is clearly specializing for it. But the things can reach great extent and be greatly annoying if there were rules to be added for each single npc.
This is not related to scripting at all, it's a hardcoded function in the code that checks if an NPC critter is an animal/monster/undead/robot, and if they're not, it makes them scavenge for items lying on the ground. We can either just NOP this shit out or make some extra checks, to a reasonable extent. But yeah, it is possible to check for a specific NPC's internal name, it just seems like bad coding.

Last edited:
I would disable the npcs getting the item from the ground.

Btw, should I wait for a new release or could I start playing multiverse right now? If there is something important boiling I'll just wait.

I've got another question: while I was playing my character suddenly started running in slow-mo. Did it ever happen to you?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Even though it's occasionally annoying I found that NPCs (or party members) picking up stuff is part of Arcanum's charm. Virgil wouldn't be Virgil if you didn't find his inventory full of flowers from time to time.
I'd vote for optional, I guess?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Another way to mitigate this issue would be to make some items (like herbs) to be ignored by NPCs. There's a convenient item flag that does this. Or we could even check for armor/weapon/hexed/etc flags in the same line of code, it's p easy to implement. Just voice your opinion bros.

To me there should be a dialog box where one could ask the npc to get or not get something from the floor.
Or maybe a config menu inside the launcher where one could tweak the stuff in a blink of an eye.

Apologize for the fact that my post seems to be autistic (in fact they are) but that's because each time they have to be approved

Last edited:

Zenith

Arbiter
I'll second the "adds to the charm" bit, in a roundabout way it adds to NPC agency too. But there also might be other side effects, like affecting how they pick up dropped weapons. OTOH there is also that farm where you're told to load the boulders onto the cart - I don't remember how encumberance works, can you even throw a boulder out of follower's inventory if your character lacks the strength?

One other bug I remember from last playthrough is that when the "mysterious figure" appears during fast travel, you're free to walk away and leave before the dialogue starts. At some point I even had two of them standing near the Wheel Clan entrance.

Giving the boot to ristezze won't make it appear in his shop. Is that supposed to happen?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom