Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You killed a guard (doesn't matter which one; in total there are three of them), and this fact automatically closed the quest. Game thought that you killed Richard Leeks.
Same bug you may see in GOG or original game - we checked.

So, our congratulations, you've found a new original bug after 16 years of game release. :)
Happens all the time with ToEE too. Amazing stuff :p

Macbeth

Scholar
Happens all the time with ToEE too. Amazing stuff :p
Logic says that developers create important NPC first and put on them scripts. Afterwards they forget about scripts and start copy/pasting scripted NPC to fulfill surrounding by background NPCs.

When talking with Gaar about the tea choose the option "How long are you meant to be on display here"? then "why don't you join me"?
Then talk to Parnell and ask him to purchase GAR the orc (not the human). He will sell it to you for 2250.
Well, you're lucky. Another original bug (at least exists in GOG too).
Global flag 1095 in {69} in the Parnell dialog was missed. Fixed.

Waiting for more bugs from ya. :)

Last edited:
Sadly, I finished today Arcanum and I doubt I will re-open it for the time being. I would love to do another playthrough but I need to study for my upcoming exams. Said this, I merged all my notes and tweak requests. Here they are:

1) Tweak: Could you add new icons for every spell to make it easier to differentiate between them all?

2) Tweak: I saw people on the net claiming summoning college is pretty useless because you won’t be getting the xp from the hits. Can something be done related to this? Creatures that are summoned by you should always give you the xp from the hits they do.

> what about a tweak to make it possible to get full xp even if the hits are by followers?

3) Summoning: the creatures I summon are unresponsive; sometimes only one of these will attack while the other will just stay near me. Can something be done to make the summons AI more aggressive?

4) Teleport: I read your idea about the whole ordeal, but the opinions that some have (regarding the teleport being 'magic') is a non sequitur, due to the fact that you can even create undead via techonology (eg: necromicon), so I doubt making portals to move all over arcanum would be so bad (and you could insert such a tool in liam’s quest).

5) Tweak: Given that the inventory tends to get pretty cluttered and tedious would it be a bad suggestion to add 'special containers' for herbs and tech?

6) Tweak: can you just add a tweak where one could take the full xp, no matter what, even by not hitting the stuff? So I don’t find myself impaired due to the fact that I’m losing a tons of xp by being a talker fellow and a charismatic guy?

7) Tweak: can you add a way for the player to realize what is the maximum cap achievable for every stat (with or without background?)

8) Tweak: When browsing the character sheet, I frequently move the cursor upon the single stats to check what they are for; would it be hard to add into the informations you see what is the special benefit you get when reaching stat:20?

These are the various benefits:

Strength -- Double damage bonus
Dexterity -- Speed is 25 (+1 per point over 20)
Constitution -- Poison Immunity
Beauty -- Reaction Modifier is +100% (+10% over 20)
Intelligence -- +10% to the success rate of every Skill
Perception -- Sense invisible
Willpower -- Immune to any Spell resisted by Willpower
Charisma -- 100% loyalty: followers will never flee from your side and will only leave if you ask them to, never on their own accord

9) Tweak\bugfix: when being inside the void, if you got summons they will make you stuck when leaving the little portal circles.

10) Tweak: please, make the portrait line go all over the left side of the screen.

11) The romance with Raven is executed in a really weird way, or at least it was in my playthrough. I read that you are supposed to ask her opinion when visiting all the different cities, but I didn't. So after having only one dialogue (the one in Qintarra) with her, she told me she fell in love with me when we were going to be banished. This made the 'moment' weird. Would you kindly give a thought to it?

Bugfix: reading books tends to be pretty frustrating in high resolution. Can anything be done to make the screen of the books huger ? http://imgur.com/a/aLw1h

MOST IMPORTANT TWEAK\BUGFIX OF ALL. Velorien’s blessing is useless to some <charname>. Can you add a script to convert the lost points into stat points?

Last question from the machine gun: what's the 'relationship' between multiverse and arcanum 1.5?

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Logic says that developers create important NPC first and put on them scripts. Afterwards they forget about scripts and start copy/pasting scripted NPC to fulfill surrounding by background NPCs.
Oh I mean vanilla bugs in general. I thought everything would have been reported over at co8 by now, but you still get surprising new bugs from time to time.

Macbeth

Scholar
Sadly, I finished today Arcanum and I doubt I will re-open it for the time being. I would love to do another playthrough but I need to study for my upcoming exams. Said this, I merged all my notes and tweak requests.
Anyway thank you for your reports. We'll think about all mentioned issues.

Last question from the machine gun: what's the 'relationship' between multiverse and arcanum 1.5?
No relation. Different projects. Once long time ago we tried to combine with 1.5 developer, but without success.
1.5 is based on Grand Fix (Russian analog of UAP) and mod made by san with new locations, items and so on.
We position AEM as extencion, but not mod. We're trying to use original Troika stuff as much as possible. And AEM is based on UAP. And it's not important for you, but AEM has another (fully new) translation to Russian in opposite to 1.5.
So we're going on our own way.
And it's great that Drog returned, so we can lend out some of his improvements. :)

I thought everything would have been reported over at co8 by now, but you still get surprising new bugs from time to time.
I'd like to admit again that found bugs are not from AME, but from original game.
And of course we will fix everything that will be found.

great. Some other things:

> Is there a particular reason magnus is not healed by magic healers?
> Would you give a thought about adding the module 'vormantown' inside arcanum?
> Is there an English translation for Arcanum 1.5?
> Is there a way to 'unlock' the ogre race, to be like Chukka?

Last but not least, I've got another question about velorien's blessing: do the +x bonus get added to full bars (Imagine I'm a master in melee with a full bar. Velorien's blessing will give me another bonus on top of it, or is it to waste? If it goes to waste, once again, I would like to get stat points and be done with it)

Beside, a query could be added that according to the way that you built your character, velorien's blessing may change (Tech, neutral, magic). But that's just a dream.

Macbeth

Scholar
> Is there a particular reason magnus is not healed by magic healers?
It's absolutely obvious. He is a technician. Look at his technical attitude. More levels he will gain, less magick will affect on him.

Already implemented.

> Is there an English translation for Arcanum 1.5?
Have no idea. We're not in contact with the developer. As for me I've never played 1.5.

> Is there a way to 'unlock' the ogre race, to be like Chukka?
If I'm not mistaken, Drog had an idea to implement Dark Elves. If this is possible, dwarf woman are possible... and if they are possible, then everything is possible. :D

Yeeeeeh.I'm happy for Drog adding new races. Also new background would be extremely cool.

Beside, I would revamp a few by making them a little stronger (like 'born under a sign')

Two more questions:

1) to tweak the vendigroth blessing I need to find effect.mes. Where is it?
2) About magnus: understood. When I tried casting major healing on him, I just saw that sometimes my spell would fail, but according to me:

> spell healers should try healing him if we are not in a dungeon;
> player should be given a chance to decide if magnus should be 'healed' no matter what, by spells..

Last edited:

Poseidon

Educated
Is there a particular reason magnus is not healed by magic healers?

It's absolutely obvious. He is a technician. Look at his technical attitude. More levels he will gain, less magick will affect on him.

Eh, if I'm not mistaken, Dwarves have a natural resistance to magic, aside from being technicians overall. That's why it's masochistic to try and play a dwarf mage, and that's why you have that funny convo with that one mage dwarf you find somewhere, no?

Macbeth

Scholar
Already implemented.
Sorry, my fault. I misunderstand. No, we're not planning doing it.

Also new background would be extremely cool.
Already done. Will be added optional in the next version.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
> player should be given a chance to decide if magnus should be 'healed' no matter what, by spells..

What no

What else do you want, "gunslingers also cast high level spells" mode? It's a central feature in Arcanum's magic/tech design.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
yeah i have a small mod that makes all the races playable in the engine, basically letting you play as pure blood ogres and orcs and also dark elves

you'd also need to program new NPC reaction bonuses/penalties for these races (like these), this is not that hard, you'd just extend that array

and then again you'd need to extend the basic NPC dialog responses (like race based insults) and also edit a few dialogs/scripts that do check race, e.g. Gilbert Bates, Quintarra guards, etc, probably around 10 or so in total

but then again, would anybody give a fuck about playing as ogres and orcs?

in, would anybody give a fuck about playing as ogres and orcs?

Meh, if I think about it too much, you are completely right
What no

What else do you want, "gunslingers also cast high level spells" mode? It's a central feature in Arcanum's magic/tech design.

You probably misunderstood what I meant: I didn't say that the healing spells casted on magnus or any tech character should always succeed.
What I said is that there should be a tweak on the config, that provides the player with the option to make the AI of magic healers heal via spells technological character; bonus added if you can decide a threeshold after which their IA won't try anymore and when they should try such healing (for example, they should try to heal techonological character last; or never in a dungeon ... etc)

I'm still looking for effect.mes. to tweak the vendigroth's blessing :terrorist:. Has anyone got any idea of its location?

Poseidon

Educated
Yesss. The less elves, the better, though.

INFIDEL. GLORY TO THE TREE MOTHER!

In all seriousness though, it might be cool to play a Dark Elf. But then you'd have to figure out a way to get through Quintarra. I forget, was it possible to avoid that place/kill everyone and still finish the main quest. I mean it probably is, you can pretty much kill every living (and unliving) soul in that game...

Suggestion: How about respawns/dungeon resets? Not to an annoying level where you have to kill the same mobs over and over just to get from point A to point B, but say as a farming method for the people who would play with the higher level cap. Something like Dungeons resetting every 3 months or so. It's not too hard to clear the world of baddies really.

Also, when I did a test run of Multiverse, I don't think I saw any extra portraits. I think there were a few extra packs on Terra-Arcanum, any plans on implementing them?

Last edited:

Macbeth

Scholar
I'm still looking for effect.mes. to tweak the vendigroth's blessing. Has anyone got any idea of its location?
It's probably packed in .dat file. I can send it...

Yup, it would be appreciated if you upload it in a website then I could download it :P

By the way, another interesting tweak would be one that makes you able to play after the final boss. :P (how many queries I have...)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Ogre warrior would do better job in the Dungeon of Lost Souls.
Maybe.
If you loathe elf mages.

Tigranes

Arcane
in, would anybody give a fuck about playing as ogres and orcs?

Meh, if I think about it too much, you are completely right
What no

You probably misunderstood what I meant: I didn't say that the healing spells casted on magnus or any tech character should always succeed.
What I said is that there should be a tweak on the config, that provides the player with the option to make the AI of magic healers heal via spells technological character; bonus added if you can decide a threeshold after which their IA won't try anymore and when they should try such healing (for example, they should try to heal techonological character last; or never in a dungeon ... etc)

I'm still looking for effect.mes. to tweak the vendigroth's blessing :terrorist:. Has anyone got any idea of its location?

Yes, that's my reading comprehension failure. Appreciate the correction.

Thanks. Few more queries:

> Where should I put effect.mes after tweaking it? By the way, I think I know a good compromise to make Vendigroth's blessing useful without having to give it too many thoughts. Just convert all the points inside the skills into stat points, and let the player decide where he should put these. I've read in the .net that a +4 on a skill is equivalent to 1 stat-point (please verify, because it is a bit confusing), so I would just convert these to stat points:

melee +12, pickpocket +12, persuasion +12, firearms +12, dodge +12

into
15 stat points. (3x5)

> Is there an ETA for the new release? I've actually got a bad hitch for a new playthrough while I should be studying.
> Will the new update be retro-compatible with the current saves?

Yes, that's my reading comprehension failure. Appreciate the correction.

Probably I was unclear and I would like to apologize for that. ♥

Last edited:

Poseidon

Educated
Where should I put effect.mes after tweaking it? By the way, I think I know a good compromise to make Vendigroth's blessing useful without having to give it too many thoughts. Just convert all the points inside the skills into stat points, and let the player decide where he should put these. I've read in the .net that a +4 on a skill is equivalent to 1 stat-point (please verify, because it is a bit confusing), so I would just convert these: melee +12, pickpocket +12, persuasion +12, firearms +12, dodge +12 into 15 stat points. (3x5)

If it was indeed packed into a .dat file, then it would have to be repacked. You'd need the tool that was used to unpack it.

By 15 stat points I guess you just mean 15 allocation points? That seems a bit much. What would prevent you from dumping it into spells or other skills? Not that I wouldn't love the extra choices, but it seems too easy and that's why we have the increased level cap.

I guess it could be tweaked to check your aptitude and change the rewards based on that.

The next release is expected mid-late May and no, it wouldn't be backwards compatible due to Mappers Mod if I remember correctly.

By 15 stat points I guess you just mean 15 allocation points? That seems a bit much. What would prevent you from dumping it into spells or other skills?

Yup, 15 allocation point. You could say that it was too much if it was based on arbitrary reasoning: but I used the math and I showed you that's exactly the number of points that developers have chosen for us for the blessing himself.

I said 'for us': that's exactly the issue.

The skills you get on that altar (that is near end-game) are actually useless or redundant for many types of character. The process is called 'blessing', but the way it is right now is highly unconvenient or not worth it unless you are a completionist, because many of the points of the shrine itself go to waste or work against you in some cases:

> imagine if I play a melee character - do you think I would care for the +12 on dodge and melee if I'm already a master of these?
> What about the +4 on firearms? Should I care about it if I'm a melee fighter? What if I'm a mage? Thanks to this 'gift', if I'm a mage, firearms actually lowers my magical aptitude, working against me;
> what about if I'm a mage relying on summoning\charisma for followers\willpower\intelligence? Do you think I would care on the bonus on melee or dodge?

Increasing level cap is not the answer for not re-working velorien's blessing... simply because I do not care about grinding for new levels just for the sake of stat points. But I would love to have a meaningful blessing by the all-father, because the way it is right now, he is acting as everything but a father.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

hmm. it starts ok, but won't go fullscreen. then when I close it, it won't restart unless I restart my pc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom