Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Guys, I'm planning to make a tech-aggressive background for myself. I got this:

Mad Scientist

Long times experimenting with yourself and your tech creations left a huge toll in your mind.

You despise non-tech humanoids and mages, and as such you do not tolerate them (only one human follower allowed).

Your experiment on yourself give you a boost of 50% experience, at the cost of being ugly (-3 to Beauty).

You always emphasizes minutiae on every subject you speak with others making them sick of you being a pedant (-3 to Charisma).

You share a bond with your creatures. Each one of their hit and kills give you experience, because you learn from them and you're linked to them.

[Do you think it is unbalanced?]

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:lol:

That's 50% more experience whenever you get experience? No, not unbalanced at all, probably level cap by the time you reach Tarant.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Then do it using the standard options. What's the fun in iron-maning if you cheat?

FeelTheRads

Some issues:

1) The fast travel usually puts in a bad spot, making you meet level 25-20 enemies totally randomly and actually killing me in 95% of Ironamn runs I've done.
2) A tech character seems to need way more experience than a magic one to be "good". I'm not getting any enjoyment by playing one, while if I was going full magic I would guess it would be easy

Question: if I use the tech potion to improve my mental stats, can I surpass the max cap for half-ogres?

Modron

Arcane
If I recall correctly racial limits are hard limits, and bonus enhancements from items/potions just get you to said limit and not beyond it.

Dialogue bug: Check The tarant officer near torry road. (in front of Barach's magerium).

If you click the option, "may I ask a question, Sir", you'll find a dialogue branch you can't... leave.

Only way is finding the option "is there any work here", to quit the dialogue.

Edit: Made one post including all the queries on the others.

1) [BUG] In Tarant, near the station, there is that grandma that tries to pickpocket you. Issue is that if she fails pickpocketing, the guards will attack you instead of her. Is it possible to make the guards attack her on a failed attempt, instead of the player?

2) [meh] Jacob sometimes doesn't sleep properly. https://s17.postimg.org/nzbwt5fbj/jacob_bens.png

3) I gave pure ore to the blacksmith inside Shrouded hills, but even if the quest completed, pure ore wasn't removed from my inventory.

4) There should be "Unbiased quest reward" component. You don't get any xp from roleplaying.

Example: Jacob bens. If I steal for him I get 1k xp and some gold, while if I reveal his plan to the doc I get 0 xp. No point.

5) Stealing Magnus dwarven gauntlets will trigger only once his "offended" dialogue. If you try to steal them again, he won't show annoyance anymore.

6) If Magnus kills Winston, you get this:

https://s17.postimg.org/7plqqe9u7/winston.png

They should either resurrect him (they can, see the dwarves), or they should attack the player as soon as Winston dies.

7) Is it possible to fix the backgrounds? They piss me off because really they have no sense. Getting sickly will make you able to go over your half-ogre limited intelligence and making you able to get 20 INT, while getting Rare Half-ogre birth won't.

What's the point? The backgrounds should all make you able to surpass a limit (and make another, for example half ogre birth should set your new maximum STR to 22 and max INT to 20; not make you able to still get 24 STR and 18 INT as you never had the background).

Or actually shouldn't.

But they should all work the same way, not force the player to get virgil cheat menu to check first-hand which background can make you surpass the race-limit.

8) Is it possible to create a new difficulty with the xp given by the easy one and the stats for the monsters of the hard ?

9) How can I tweak effect.mes to make me get allocation points when getting final vendigroth blessing?

10) if I use the tech potion to improve my mental stats, can I surpass the max cap for half-ogres?

11) Dialogue bug: Check The tarant officer near torry road. (in front of Barach's magerium).

If you click the option, "may I ask a question, Sir", you'll find a dialogue branch you can't... leave.

Only way is finding the option "is there any work here", to quit the dialogue.

12) If I use the level cap remover, what happens to the npcs joining my party?

Because I cheated to reach level 100, and I checked the people that joined my party (eg:Virgil) and they don't seem to level properly (even if they use the points rewarded by levelling up for I don't know which reason).

Also, if I remember well, there was a setting related to levels inside the installer. Was it referred to this occurrence?

gunman

Arcane
Developer
FeelTheRads

Some issues:

1) The fast travel usually puts in a bad spot, making you meet level 25-20 enemies totally randomly and actually killing me in 95% of Ironamn runs I've done.
2) A tech character seems to need way more experience than a magic one to be "good". I'm not getting any enjoyment by playing one, while if I was going full magic I would guess it would be easy

1) You can buy potions of haste from almost every town. Equip them in a hotkeyed quick slot. Have turn-based always on. When your travel is interrupted by a difficult encounter (were-rat, dark individual etc) immediately use a potion of haste. Then during your turn you can outrun every single living creature on the surface of Arcanum.

2) As a tech guy you have to play solo to get all of the XP from killing monsters. As soon as you reach Tarant you can gain multiple levels fast. Get a fast shooting weapon (fine revolver, sharp-shooter's pistol), buy hundreds of bullets (spend all your money on bullets because the loot will make up for the lost money) and descend into the sewers. If you want to make it even easier, use potions of haste.

Modron

Arcane
2) As a tech guy you have to play solo to get all of the XP from killing monsters. As soon as you reach Tarant you can gain multiple levels fast. Get a fast shooting weapon (fine revolver, sharp-shooter's pistol), buy hundreds of bullets (spend all your money on bullets because the loot will make up for the lost money) and descend into the sewers. If you want to make it even easier, use potions of haste.
Use a fate-point to steal the Mechanized Gun from a guard in the Donn Throgg quest in Arcanum and you will be set for basically the rest of the game do make sure to take advantage of aimed shots as well i forget what buttons aim off hand but they are somewhere on the numpad the game doesn't do a good job of telling you that you can target specific body parts.

gunman issue is that virgil will automatically autoattack and I can't use the fast travel map. Is there a way to disable his AI?

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Use a fate-point to steal the Mechanized Gun from a guard in the Donn Throgg quest in Arcanum and you will be set for basically the rest of the game do make sure to take advantage of aimed shots as well i forget what buttons aim off hand but they are somewhere on the numpad the game doesn't do a good job of telling you that you can target specific body parts.

That quest is quite far into the game and the most difficult part for a tech guy is the beginning. I was suggesting a way to gain XP as soon as you reach Tarant. Also in the beginning, a gunslinger is better off with +ACC guns instead of fast guns, because your hit chance is low, while you can compensate the speed with potions of haste.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
gunman issue is that virgil will automatically autoattack and I can't use the fast travel map. Is there a way to disable his AI?

Theoretically there are hotkeys for issuing tactical commands to followers, such as stay put, attack my target or run away, but they are a chore to use from my experience. My only successful ironman run of Arcanum was with a solo gunslinger, because keeping followers alive is even more difficult.

Beowulf

Arcane
Brothers, I require your assistance and counsel.
I played Arcanum a long time ago, and the only thing I remember is that I didn't finish it.

As I'm in the mood to replay it, should I go with the multiverse patch, or just regular gog+ patches?
Does the multiverse change much?

Piotrovitz

Savant
Go with multiverse - easy to install, already contains hi-res patch and tons of fixes.

I tried to patch the gog version few months ago and it gave me headaches.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Do you not know how to install things?
Not really, have to ask older brother every time.

Hi-res patch or something else crashed the game at the start for whatever reasons - just because stuff runs on your rig fine, doesn't mean it does on everybody else's.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Self-explanatory, really.
What exactly does this explain?
Does joining late imply that someone's a teenager who just got first PC for sixteenth birthday? Are you retarded?

Last time I was on message board was in early 2000s, and this type of bullshit insults usually came from basement dwellers, who counted their posts and treated internet forums as a substitute for non-existent social life.

T. Reich

Arcane
Self-explanatory, really.
What exactly does this explain?
Does joining late imply that someone's a teenager who just got first PC for sixteenth birthday? Are you retarded?

Last time I was on message board was in early 2000s, and this type of bullshit insults usually came from basement dwellers, who counted their posts and treated internet forums as a substitute for non-existent social life.

You should ask your older brother for help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom