Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Macbeth

Scholar
Drog Black Tooth,
I've started a conversation with you. I assume here it's like PM...

Poseidon

Educated
One new alert "Drog has commented on this thread" ZOMG OMG.

But anyway... I was just here to ask if there's an update on next version?

Also one thing I'm not too clear on:

Macbeth, you mentioned 3 different projects - Multiverse, Mappers Mod and SEM. Are those 3 completely separate things are they gonna come all together in Multiverse?

Macbeth

Scholar
you mentioned 3 different projects - Multiverse, Mappers Mod and SEM. Are those 3 completely separate things are they gonna come all together in Multiverse?
Mapper's Mod is already included to Multiverse. And it will be updated in the next version.
SEM is partially ready. I'm translating it to English. Now all our work is concentrated on Multiverse. As soon as it'll be done, we will continue work with SEM. We will deside how to implement SEM.

Next version of Multiverse supposed to be in may, I hope.
New backgrounds and Level cap will be implemented as well.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
This may have been asked already. Is enabling auto-update wise? I wonder whether auto-update will introduce save incompatibility, or will the team take care of that?

Macbeth

Scholar
We are deciding now will it be auto update or total Repack.
But ANYWAY saves will not work, because maps are upgraded.

Level cap, backgrounds - optional.
SEM (in future) - optional.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm getting some cursor lag/slow-down when I'm navigating menus and inventory. Is this a common problem? I'm playing at 1920x1080.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I'm getting some cursor lag/slow-down when I'm navigating menus and inventory. Is this a common problem? I'm playing at 1920x1080.
Can't say I've had that, I posted my settings on Page 1 a while back, see if this layout helps - I think you'll find 1280x720 a little more suitable for scaling as well ;)
QNHGloD.png

Jinn

Arcane
Thanks a lot! That seems to have fixed all the problems I was having.

Poseidon

Educated
Can't say I've had that, I posted my settings on Page 1 a while back, see if this layout helps - I think you'll find 1280x720 a little more suitable for scaling as well ;)

I did run the game under 1920x1080 pretty smoothly. If you choose the 18 font size, you can read everything properly. However I only ran around the first area to check out how things were. While it's rather impressive to be able to see such a large area in a single screen, it wasn't very comfortable really. Also, I'm not sure how helpful it would be from picking up items off the ground. 1366x768 (average laptop resolution) seems to be working pretty good.

Mapper's Mod is already included to Multiverse. And it will be updated in the next version.
SEM is partially ready. I'm translating it to English.

My current occupation is freelance editor for a US ghost writer. If you'd like, I can help by looking over some of the translations for typos, grammar and stuff. Not something everyone might care about, but then again Arcanum is a very text-heavy game.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
BTW, bros. I dug out my high resolution patch sources today and have been working on it the whole day. The Ruskie programmer is still MIA, so it's just me playing with my dick for the moment.

I removed the stupid command line prompts, it now has an .ini file, with way more settings. You can no go windowed, change the renderer to software (no need for the -no3d command line argument anymore), set the scrolling distance back to the original behavior or make it infinite, etc. Also, there's now an option that allows you to do this. How cool is that?

I'm also fixing all the remaining bugs. Will add black backgrounds to the main menu and ending slides, and will possible increase object limits for vicinity checks and tile distance for AI and animations, etc.

Any requests?

Ovg

Cipher
Drog and Russians. Good to see international cooperation bringing us the best in Arcanum experience.

So, what's the best resolution for a 1920x1080 screen?

Poseidon

Educated
If you're on a laptop, yes - but down scaling to 1366x768 on a 1920x1080 native monitor, no.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224657/why-does-the-1366x768-screen-resolution-exist/

That was an interesting read. Good to know.

So, what's the best resolution for a 1920x1080 screen?

Well Junmarko's suggestions is 1280x720, but unless there's some other technical stuff I'm unaware of, you could probably do 1440x900 nicely.

Edit: 1440x900 is 16:10, so if we have to perfectly maintain aspect ratio, there's isn't another resolution between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 that would be 16:9. 1366x768 is the closest thing to it, but not really (as Junmarko's link explains).

Well, since you are asking, Arcanum 2 would be nice.

Who even has the Arcanum IP rights atm?

Any requests?

So I have next to no understanding of this kind of thing, but what really grinds my gears is that Windowed would lock the game window to the target resolution, essentially occupying what, 60% of my screen?
I know, however, that some games support going Windowed where you can still resize and maximize, essentially stretching the image, but at least you are "Full Screen"
I guess what I'm looking for is Borderless since the current monitor standard is 1920x1080, and we prolly won't be playing in that resolution. I use multiple monitors and having to alt-tab is hella annoying.
I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Also, there's now an option that allows you to do this. How cool is that?

Damn, that's pretty neat.

I'm also fixing all the remaining bugs. Will add black backgrounds to the main menu and ending slides, and will possible increase object limits for vicinity checks and tile distance for AI and animations, etc.

Any requests?

Will jump on and see if I can think of anything.

Maybe call upon the powers of ghostdog to see if he can lend inspiration? I heard his master never released the source code, sad. :lol:

But he was PST UI king before now.

CIJ8A7M.png

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
well i aint too keen on going full ghost dog on this and adding tons of gay wallpapers around ui elements

just not cool bro

Macbeth

Scholar
My current occupation is freelance editor for a US ghost writer. If you'd like, I can help by looking over some of the translations for typos, grammar and stuff. Not something everyone might care about, but then again Arcanum is a very text-heavy game.
Ok, we'll speak about it when time will come. :)

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Finally managed to find how to increase the "active radius" today. The original limit was 30 tiles away from the player everything would get frozen, including the animations, AI, etc.

And this shit is kinda sorta really fucking obvious in Full HD.

I've played with it for a bit. Tarant with the limit of 255 tiles fucks the game right up. You can infinite scroll from the bridge right to the Bates mansion and it's all live. The game just slows to a crawl. But 60-80 is p awesome, no lag and it looks very alive.

This will be an option that everyone will get to tinker with themselves. But I'm changing the default to at least 45 anyway.

OracleX

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great to see you working on Arcanum again Drog! I remember you send me a hack in the past on Terra-Arcanumin that removed the follower cap . I was trying to do so myself but never managed (7 was the max). I'm still using it on my modded Arcanum install. Looking forward to future releases!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom