Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Calis

Pensionado
This is the comments thread for <A HREF="/gamedetails.php?id=1">Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura</A>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Like you really care what Volourn thinks, Mr. Sarcasm. :twisted:

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
See, for me it goes:
1. Ultima VII (And basically all Ultimas 4-7)
2. Fallout
3. Arcanum
4. Prelude to Darkness
5. Gearhead
6. Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome
7. Divine Divinity
8. Geneforge series
9. Your mother a.k.a Darklands
10. Europa 1400

So there, my word is law and Arcanum is one of the best games ever.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No.

1. NWN
2. F02
2. BG2
4. JE
5. BG1
6. FO1
7. FF8
8. FF6
9. ARC
10. FF4

(some of the later ones get be switched out, and JE is virtually in a tie with BG and FO)...

Baley

Liturgist
No!

1.PS:T\Fallout2
3.Fallout 1
4.Sanitarium
5.Blade Runner
6.Arcanum
7.BG2
8.FF3(US)
9.Duke Nukem 3D
10.Monkey Island 3

9. Your mother
Better than PS:T,hmm....

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Blade Runner, man, I was so obsessed with that game when it came out. I recently found it in my closet and installed it, and lo and behold: It was shit. :P

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Well, I like different game for different reasons, and I hate to compile them, but if I have to...

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Fallout 1
3. Betrayal at Krondor
4. Fallout 2
5. System Shock 2
6. Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines
7. Arcanum
8. Deus Ex (Number 1 now, you hear?)
9. Morrowind: GotY

I guess there are only 10 games I want to put in my top 10 list, I'm sure I'll think of another one later and bang myself on the head, but thats what edit button is for.

Kratos

Novice
Arcanum is definitely in my top 10 - maybe top 5, but i'm too drunk right now to figure out exactly where it is. With an NPC like Stringy Pete though, it's gotta be good.
lol @ Volourn with NWN at #1. you must have fucking rocks for brains.

LlamaGod

Cipher
1. Fallout 1
2. Avernum series
3. Medieval: Total War + expansions and junk
4. Disciples 2 or HOMM3
5. Arcanum
6. Planescape:Torment
7. Hearts of Iron 2 (Europa Univeralis 2 included pretty much)
8. Gothic 2
9. Geneforge series
10. IVAN or ADOM

aboyd

Liturgist
Hmm. Looking at your lists, I cannot determine if some of you are suggesting that Arcanum is one of the top 10 games of any genre, or just top 10 for RPGs. In any case, here are the RPGs, loosely defined, that sucked down hours and hours of my life (NWN took up a lot of my time, but since I resented it, it isn't making the list):
  1. Planescape: Torment
  2. Baldur's Gate 2 with ToB
  3. Arcanum
  4. Baldur's Gate 1 with TotSC & Tutu
  5. Crystalis
  6. Diablo II with LoD
  7. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
  8. (not) The Horror of Rylvania (I played a text-adventure game in the late 80s on my Apple IIgs, which I loved so much I still have the saved games on some 5.25" disks -- after some hunting, I thought it might be Rylvania, but Rylvania came out in '93. So I don't know the name, but the storyline I experienced sounds like a precursor to Rylvania).
  9. Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines
  10. Gauntlet (the original, in the arcades -- I spent hundreds of dollars playing that game with a friend of mine)
-Tony

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Strange.
  • Fallout/Fallout2
  • Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines
  • DeusEx
  • Arcanum
This is short list of cRPGs, since I am not able to determine the adequate position in that list for the GrimFandago, TheLongestJourney, Crimsonland and many other games.

Having said[written] that, though, I admit Arcanum is great game.In some terms it even overcomes Fallout, but in total though it loses kinda big time to it. DeusEx - because I really enjoyed that game, even if not full blood cRPG. And, speaking of blood, Vampire - Bloodlines seams to be the best RPG experience after Fallouts. Maybe because of that nice stat-system, maybe because of dialogues, maybe I was able to actually play the vampire I wanted to play even if it was totally wrong from setting. Maybe because of b00...err..interesting NPCs, maybe just because I played it recently. Anyways, I liked it.

And Fallouts leave no doubt having first place. Yeah, sure, the games arent perfect, definetly, they are old too. But overall, the feeling, the world, the options, the freedom and many other things, including post-apoc atmosphere, that is what makes Fallouts great.
I put both games on the same place (and first) because even if FO2 was less consistent, and less believable than original, it was my very first cRPG and one of my first games ever, so...

Well, yeah, offtopic, of course, but Arcanum was great RPG, which reminded me of Fallout. Plus, it is pretty much unique steam-punk cRPG.

And if someone wonders why there is no BG or PS:T on the list - well, I hate fantasy.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yet you put FO, Arcanum, and BL on there?

R00fles!

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I would like to add that Darklands kicks monstrous ass. Oh, and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is the best movie ever made, and that's a fact.

Seven

Erudite
Naked_Lunch said:
I would like to add that Darklands kicks monstrous ass. Oh, and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is the best movie ever made, and that's a fact.

Not so, Dr. Strangelove is better.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The GBU is my favorite movie of all time, and yes, Arcanum is awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom