Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum - worth a punt?

Murk

Arcane
They're actually quite common, but you have no reason to look for and thus find them until you have the schematic.

Try the fields in Shrouded Hills for starters. Keep an eye out for lemon trees.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, my oh my. 15 perception and yet a critical fail. For some reason I kept assuming herb and general shops would have them. Thanks for the tip m8.

Murk

Arcane
Neanderthal reading your posts made me smile, and reminded me a bit of the first few times I played the game. I'm genuinely happy you enjoyed it.

This game is one of my all time favorites, and despite all its flaws and rough edges, continues to show me something new about every time I play it.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
How in the FUCK can people view replaying the same content repeatedly enjoyable? I will never get that.

Kefka1134

So out of all the Troika games, my understanding is this one or TOEE is a bit of a black sheep? Am I making stuff up? Do I know not what I say?

Maybe they're all worth playing and I'm just imaging that in order to make my life easier so as to excuse myself not having played them, my heretical self.

Ladonna

Arcane
images

Actually, maybe this would be easier for you.

images

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
To dumb it down for the newcomers:

Arcanum is for the C&C fags
ToEE is for the combat fags
Bloodlines is for the story fags

Kefka1134

All worth playing. It's a family of black sheep.

Hm, well put, to be honest wasn't really thinking of Arcanum/TOEE as black sheep automatically negative, just, unique.

It seems the poster above explicated though how each is unique based on their emphasis within the larger field of unique Troika games, so they're all different from each other and from other CRPGs differently.

Ahem, anyway, I've had enough combat to last a lifetime in CRPGs to be honest, will probably go with Arcanum than Elemental Evil (have already played Bloodlines)

ortucis

Prophet
Arcanum is the only game where I have enjoyed using Pistols.

Craft them, craft bullets, then go nuts in real-time combat. They are so fun to kill Supermutants with.

That is all.

Old One

Arcane
...I've had enough combat to last a lifetime in CRPGs to be honest, will probably go with Arcanum than Elemental Evil (have already played Bloodlines)
Combat in Arcanum is bad, but it's mercifully simple and fast, so it doesn't really bog down the experience too much. Don't make a Firearms character for your first play though.

Combat is ToEE is one of the best turn-based systems ever made, and is quite fun in and of itself. This is important because the rest of the game is mostly hack and slash.

MWaser

Arbiter
...I've had enough combat to last a lifetime in CRPGs to be honest, will probably go with Arcanum than Elemental Evil (have already played Bloodlines)
Combat in Arcanum is bad, but it's mercifully simple and fast, so it doesn't really bog down the experience too much. Don't make a Firearms character for your first play though.

Combat is ToEE is one of the best turn-based systems ever made, and is quite fun in and of itself. This is important because the rest of the game is mostly hack and slash.
Combat in Arcanum may be bad (in fact, it's downright terrible when you get to it), but I nevertheless find it interesting at least. Running around, throwing grenades and doing all kinds of madness in real-time mode is chaotic and pretty much uncontrollable, but there's still a certain degree of skill involved. Although most of Arcanum combat is about being properly prepared for it rather than the actual decisions you make in-combat. It's more strategic than tactical, you could say.

As for what you say about ToEE... interesting, you make me want to check that game out.

Kefka1134

Ouch, I remember watching a friend play it way back when and it just didn't tick all the boxes I guess. Arcanum did though I simply never got around to it.

Seethe

Arbiter
Arcanum is the only game where I have enjoyed using Pistols.

Craft them, craft bullets, then go nuts in real-time combat. They are so fun to kill Supermutants with.

That is all.

"Pistol"

This is Arcanum, where every ranged weapon is a machinegun, even bows.

ortucis

Prophet
This is Arcanum, where every ranged weapon is a machinegun, even bows.

Don't know. Never played as anyone other than dual wielding gunslinger.. who occasionally ran around naked feeling sexy..

bloodlover

Arcane
I found some stupid gloves that have a strong poison DOT on Isle of Despair and I got some necklace as reward for killing the beast. I tried them both on Sogg but the constant poisoning and healing is annoying and his HP is not reliable in a fight. Are those things worth keeping or I can just vendor them?

edit: I assume there is no way of peacefully saving that chick from the island right? I am not really fond of fighting everyone and she gets killed if she's left by herself.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I sold most cursed gear, didn't seem anything you could make a build around like some cursed stuff in other games, with obvious exception of a certain
Scourge.
Though I didn't put too much thought into it as magic was just so optimal usually.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Another option:

Let her join you, stay away from guards, unlock window on left side of settlement, climb through it and just walk around to north until you can cross the river and go to worldmap. You can take her to Womens camp or home on your ship, your choice.

bloodlover

Arcane
Too late, I let her die. :MOh well, 12 CHA, time to get another companion that can deal with my magical fingers spamming harm all day. For some reason Sogg has a low reputation with me but I assume that won't be a problem in the long run. I can't find a big enough armor for this fucker but he's been doing well so far.

edit:
Dante is leaving me the second I finish the tax quest. Does he join later? Playing a magic character sucked as far as getting companions go since Magnus and Jayna are techies and won't join me. Do I fuck up/glitch my game if I don't turn in the tax quest, thus making Dante a permanent companion for a longer time?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom